Gonzalez is gone

kayman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe it took this long. With his loss of credibility for a number of reasons, it is amazing that they tried to keep him in place. Perhaps it was just to make sure he had time to cover his tracks for many secret programs and policies. I don't mean that to be anything like a huge conspiracy theory, just regarding what we do know about: wiretapping, harrassing Ashcroft in a hospital bed, CIA prisons, firing of attorneys for political reasons.

If we know that much about what he was involved in that was shady one has to wonder what we don't know about.

I suspect they've been and likely are worried about who will replace him and what they will find in his wake.

On a lark, I decided to tune in Fox News to see what they had to say about this on the 11am (eastern) news update. After waiting for them to talk about Michael Vick for 5 straight minutes, they did a brief interview with Bret Hume on the resignation. Basically they wanted to get across the point that it is Gonzalas who is the victim here as he was a "croney" (implied in a nice way) that wasn't prepared for the nastiness in DC. They also made the point he broke no law.

On a lark, I decided to tune in Fox News to see what they had to say about this on the 11am (eastern) news update. After waiting for them to talk about Michael Vick for 5 straight minutes, they did a brief interview with Bret Hume on the resignation. Basically they wanted to get across the point that it is Gonzalas who is the victim here as he was a "croney" (implied in a nice way) that wasn't prepared for the nastiness in DC. They also made the point he broke no law.

NPR just replayed some of the Senate hearings and had Sen. Arlen Specter heavily berating Gonzales. Gonzales was twisting in the wind and getting hammered, it truly is surprising that the administration would keep someone so obviously out of his league in that position for so long.

As another poster mentioned, Gonzo was so obviously out of his league while being questioned by Sen. Arlen Spector. He looked like a sad mediocrity sitting there in front of Lehey and Spector.

A mediocrity that got his job simply because he was able to help the president out of a DUI case years earlier......

^That's a pretty good summary of the reasons Gonzales should not be running the Justice Department. The only thing I would add is his stance that the constitution does not grant American citizens the right to habeus corpus. That is a very scary statement coming from someone with his power.

If it is for the firing of the attorneys... maybe all of democrats should have been fired when Bush took office. It worked for Clinton and no one cared.

Archived