Miss South Carolina answers questions on education. Ouch!

monsoon

First of all, I could barely understand the girl. She responded in that stereotypical, ditzy teenage blond accent where every other word is "like."

I'm still trying to figure out how South Africa entered the picture. Are we at "war" with them too or something?

Her entire answer was bizarre. And since it's pretty common knowledge that SC has a not-so-great public education system, this does nothing to help our image in that regard.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean to continue to pile it on this girl...but I can't buy the "misunderstood the question" excuse. If she didn't understand the question, exactly what question DID she think she was answering with that rambling speech?

I however did see her on the Today Show, and she definitely made up for the pageant. She's a fairly intelligent girl that just got all flustered. I can remember a few job interviews where I did the same thing...it's an AWFUL feeling. I actually just got silent when I got all flustered. I WISH I would have thought to say "some in our nation don't have maps". :)

By the way - at least she isn't as stupid as this Frenchman:

Well that just takes the entire cake! Miss South Carolina presented herself as a down right genius in comparison. I had no idea that a citizen of a developed nation could not know that the moon rotates around the Earth...

That was hilarious - reminds me of a song from Waiting for Guffman.

Regarding my opinion of the matter, this kind of thing will always pop up. Fortunately for SC, Mississippi & Alabama have much worse notoriety. But having a Geography degree & being a native of SC, it does smart a bit - in fact someone at work first forwarded the video to me yesterday.

By the way - at least she isn't as stupid as this Frenchman:

I don't mean to continue to pile it on this girl...but I can't buy the "misunderstood the question" excuse. If she didn't understand the question, exactly what question DID she think she was answering with that rambling speech?

I however did see her on the Today Show, and she definitely made up for the pageant. She's a fairly intelligent girl that just got all flustered. I can remember a few job interviews where I did the same thing...it's an AWFUL feeling. I actually just got silent when I got all flustered. I WISH I would have thought to say "some in our nation don't have maps". :)

WOW! Ok, I'm a little late at responding but I just had to......What was this girl thinking???? Was she thinking at all? This predicament that Miss SC was in was an example of what I call "Just because you are book-smart doesn't mean you are common-sense smart". She sure represented SC alright....

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for.

I'm coming late to this discussion - has her initial response been used as a justification for slamming SC's educational system?

If so, that's completely unfair - generally, and nationwide, we're nowhere close to where we should be. And more or less, everytime I leave my house, I overhear similarly airheaded conversations, and have basically given up wondering how some of the perpetrators of those conversations got, like, um, into UNC. Intelligence, or eloquence, doesn't seem to count for much.

• 4 months later...

Miss South Carolina was on the Tyra Banks show this morning. It's seems as if the biggest mistake she made in her life has landed her to stardom. She said that she has met so many famous people including Donald Truimph who has signed her to the Miss America Pagent. She has also been contacted to play role in up and coming movies. She's a really pretty girl. I really believe she was nervous but her misfortune has landed her on a road to greatness.

^Yeah, one of a myriad of problems. Look at how the elections are run. No answers to pretty complex problems. Just 10 second sound bites. Would tossing the TVs solve all the problems? No. Some of them? Yes.

I'm not advocating the banning of TVs by any means. Just noting that it has made the culture pretty stupid.

Back on topic, I agree that she's considered a celebrity because it does show how far we've fallen.

Actually - & please feel free to call me a hypocrite (besides I like to watch tv & play video games) - but I think the new problem we have with society is the internet. For most, the internet is tv for the short attention span. Not to mention a myriad of other issues such as grammar & cyber-bullying. In particular with cyber-bullying, the internet provides a forum for the anti-social to dominate conversation.

Besides, if you were to believe that TV is the demise of our culture - you would also have to accept our culture has been in steep decline for 50 years. Not just the youngest generation, but my generation & my parent's generation.

I have to disagree with that. TV and the internet have made people more aware of what's going on in their world than ever before. Its done a lot of good, and it helps keep the truth out there. It also spreads lies and rumors, and they are arguably the biggest contributor to obesity (along with about 10,000 other things), but that would happen with or without it. Certainly the negative effects of it are more pronounced than they used to be, but who's to say those that are harmed by it would be better off without it? Odds are they would be doing something equally self-destructive. Its all about self-control.

Archived