4 TV shows for Honolulu a boom for industry!

Four TV shows planned for Honolulu a boom for industry

By the end of summer, O'ahu will have three major network television series in production and a fourth TV show plans to begin filming soon afterward.

The latest commitment comes from The WB network, which is adding "Rocky Point" as a midseason series.

*A camera crew shoots a car scene for the pilot of NBC's "Hawaii." Fox, ABC and WB are also planning to shoot the shows "North Shore," "Lost" and Rocky Point in Hawai'i.

business3_b.jpg

ABC yesterday confirmed yesterday it is adding the castaway drama "Lost" to its fall schedule, joining two other island-based series: NBC's police drama "Hawaii," and Fox's hotel drama "North Shore."

The state's film commissioner, speaking before the fourth show was announced, called the first three shows an unprecedented boost to Hawai'i's film industry.

"This is really good news for Hawai'i's economy and our industry," said Donne Dawson. "All three productions are going to have healthy budgets. The potential is huge.

"In the past, we have worked hard to have just one TV series," she said.

The Fox and NBC series are expected to cost more than $2 million per episode. No cost figures were available for the ABC or WB series.

Set on O'ahu's North Shore, WB's "Rocky Point" is a project from writers/executive producers John Stockwell and Lizzy Weiss (who did the movie "Blue Crush").

It's the coming-of-age story of a smart surfer girl

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived