Greensboro Transportation Project Update

coastalmindset

So I was curious to see what the final result of the Friendly Avenue median project would look like as it seems there will be very narrow lanes when the project completed. I was starting to think Friendly Ave. would be down to one lane in each direction with a bike lane. I guess it just seems narrow because of all the orange barrels as the description I found of the final projects says it will continue to be a four lane road.

I came across this "Transportation Project Update" and thought it was a good look at the road construction projects that are taking place or will be taking place in the future. It certainly shows the city wide growth taking place.

Transportation Project Update

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

indeed it is and just wait til FedEx and HondaJet come online. I see there is also a streetscape plan on Church downtown between the Depot and Greensboro Historical Museum. That would be great and it could coincide with the Potential Greensboro Triumph Center which is expected to be built on Church Street.

two segments of the loop stretching from I-85 near Grandover all the way to Bryan Blvd in Northwest Greensboro will be complete by December of 2007. More than 50% of the loop will be complete by then.

It's unfortunate that the Northern section of the loop won't even begin for 6 more years since that is one of the highest residential growth areas in around the city. At least it'll get here eventually.

I'd imagine that once Fed Ex comes full circle (with both phases) Highway 68 and the I-40 on/off ramps will be ready to be widened and reworked to accomodate the added truck traffic and stress to the road so that'll be another fun project to look forward to.

It's unfortunate that the Northern section of the loop won't even begin for 6 more years since that is one of the highest residential growth areas in around the city. At least it'll get here eventually.

I'd imagine that once Fed Ex comes full circle (with both phases) Highway 68 and the I-40 on/off ramps will be ready to be widened and reworked to accomodate the added truck traffic and stress to the road so that'll be another fun project to look forward to.

according to NCDOT it will be after 2013 when construction begins on the northern section of the loop and even then there is no confirmed date of construction because that section is not funded yet. But believe it or not 2013 will roll around before you know it.

I don't know cityboi once New 40 opens up they'll probably only warrented between Green 40/I-40 Split (The one near the forsyth county line, this is starting to get confusing) to the future Green 40/I-40 Split. I guess this brings up a new topic but where do we, the Triad forumers believe our major traffic headaches wil be in 10 Years. Personally I can US 52 and Green 40 in Winston-Salem becoming much worse. Also I-40/85 from I-840 near Mt Hope Church Rd to NC 62 in Burlington.

edit: 10 years is a long time you might be right about I-40 HOV lanes needed.

HOV lanes are becoming quickly phased out due to them being unsuccessful in favor of HOT (High Occupancy Toll) lanes (a.k.a Lexus Lanes). But, if the DOT does decide to add HOV lanes to the Triad's roads I wish they would add them between Clemmons and have them run all the way to the Triangle to their future ones on I-40.

I'd like to see it extended to McCleansville, or Gibsonville via new location and connection with existing roads creating an alternative to US 70 and I-85/40. I-85/40 will not be driveable in 2020 the bottleneck will happen just past Mt Hope Church Rd when the lanes come down to 4. Going towards Greensboro traffic will be slow until Mt Hope Church Rd. Death Valley will never again be a true bottleneck, but will remain just as dangerous as that facility begins to deteorate further.

I'd like to see it extended to McCleansville, or Gibsonville via new location and connection with existing roads creating an alternative to US 70 and I-85/40. I-85/40 will not be driveable in 2020 the bottleneck will happen just past Mt Hope Church Rd when the lanes come down to 4. Going towards Greensboro traffic will be slow until Mt Hope Church Rd. Death Valley will never again be a true bottleneck, but will remain just as dangerous as that facility begins to deteorate further.

That would definatly help

• 2 weeks later...

That was a cool video...I didn't know that the section of I40 by the PTI exit was the widest freeway in NC...is that true?

I think it is true. At some points right before the 68/Regional Road exit it's about eight lanes westbound. I can't think of a wider freeway in NC than that. Some parts of I-85 in Charlotte and I-540 in Raleigh come close, but I don't think they top this portion.

I think it is true. At some points right before the 68/Regional Road exit it's about eight lanes westbound. I can't think of a wider freeway in NC than that. Some parts of I-85 in Charlotte and I-540 in Raleigh come close, but I don't think they top this portion.

It is true. I know its like you are in Los Angeles or something and just think, as soon as the southwestern loop opens the current section of I-40 will become business 40.

I remember when I-40 pass the I-85/40 split all the way to Winston was two lanes in each direction. The land along I-40 in Greensboro wasnt developed so as soon as you passed the split it was like you left Greensboro and was nothing but trees all the way to the airport. That was when I was a really little boy. Things have changed drastically now.

But listening to that music on the video kinda of reminds me of play Grand Theft Auto LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

We should be seeing a lot of highway and road construction in northwest Greensboro and Guilford County in the next few years. A few of the projects are the northwest urban loop, widening Battleground Avenue to four lanes from Horse Pen Creek Road to the new interstate north of Summerfield, the I-73 connector from Rockingham County to PTI Airport and there seems to be a new Greensboro highway project in the planning stages thats just been announced (never heard of this). Interstate 5110 (I-5110) will be an east to west expressway linking the new interstate to I-840 north of Piedmont Triad International Airport.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/12/28/article/new_roads_ahead_in_northwest_guilford

Newroads122910.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived