Montgomery Photo of the Day

Southron

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Anyone besides me ever taken Amtrak out of Union Station? I rode it once in the late 70's from MGM to Decatur and back all by myself to stay the week w/my Aunt that lived in Huntsville. I couldn't have been more than ten or twelve.

Do they still have a restaurant in Union Station?

Is that where they had a restaurant in a stationary train car? I remember the restaurant, but for the life of me, I can't remember where in town it was. Wasn't it called something like Victorian Station??????? I might be too old for you guys to remember stuff I do.

^Anyone besides me ever taken Amtrak out of Union Station? I rode it once in the late 70's from MGM to Decatur and back all by myself to stay the week w/my Aunt that lived in Huntsville. I couldn't have been more than ten or twelve.

Do they still have a restaurant in Union Station?

Must have been cool to make that trip by train. I read at wikipedia that Amtrak service was discontinued at Union Station in 1979 -- maybe it'll return some day.

There's still a restaurant at Union Station, Lek's Railroad Thai is in the main building.

Must have been cool to make that trip by train. I read at wikipedia that Amtrak service was discontinued at Union Station in 1979 -- maybe it'll return some day.

There's still a restaurant at Union Station, Lek's Railroad Thai is in the main building.

I used to ride the train to Atlanta and Charlotte as a child as my dad worked on the L&N and we travelled in Pullman style. Union Station used to bustle in the fifties and sixties.

• 4 weeks later...

love back atcha, ex-ex. your shots always are looking good - this one, for instance...

i've always liked your olmsted quote. ever read witold rybczynski's biography of olmsted, a clearing in the distance?

Thanks, man, still a learning point-and-shoot guy here.

I haven't read that biography of Olmstead, but I'll definitely look for it. Thanks for the tip.

• 7 months later...

The downtown Kress store in Montgomery had two entrances, one on Dexter Avenue and one on Monroe Street. The building is sitting vacant now, waiting for someone with deep pockets to restore it to its former glory.

Dexter Avenue facade

Kress_Dexter1.jpg

Monroe Street facade

Kress_Monroe1.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ Yeah, we should show more outside of the downtown area. This is the county courthouse satellite office in the west side. It was built this decade, but looks like it could have been there since the 1950s or 1960s.

CntyOfc_west1.jpg

CntyOfc_west2.jpg

Yea I noticed that a few years ago when I worked at Norshield for a summer. I liked the retro design. I didnt know it was built in the last decade. thanks for this post.

Thanks for posting the industrial pic. Do you have more of the northside?

Nope. Just several more of that one building and some of cotton fields and wood from an off site used by Capital Veneer. We were questioned by what had to have been a Capital Veneer employee or owner at the off site cause he drove in from that direction and asked what we were doing there. They had camera survalance on the area. We were ok. Anyway we didnt have that much time to take a lot of pics. I missed my chance to take some of that factor building thats falling down thats visible off the Bypass. Looked like someone might have been working there and we wanted to check to see if there was any legal way to get on the property. I plan on going back soon.

No sure if you know this but we talked to a forklift operator for the Jenkins property and he said that it was one of only two kilns left in the US. I think thats what I remember. He said a group of college kids from Colorado photographed the place years ago and were interested in it. He said we could ask the manager to schedule a time to photograph onsite but we havent had time lately. That was cool.

Archived