ACC Football Championship in Charlotte?

Raintree21

The city is going to put a bid in to the ACC to host the 2008, 2009, and 2010 ACC Football Championship game which is currently being held in Jacksonville, Florida. Currently, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando are in the process.

I wonder if we would give up the Meineke Car Care Bowl or the CIAA (?) football championship if we got the ACC game.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope we get this. Not that ACC football is renowned or even respected but the ACC and its events have quickly shifted to florida and the assanine enfranchisement of U Miami hasn't helped matters. It was not that long ago that NC was the bread and butter of these events, being that it was centrally located, had multiple "neutral" arenas, and was also home to the most schools by far (UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest). Now games are played up to the national level to give maximum exposure for these teams national fan bases, meaning that they hit up touristy towns with little affection for the colleges themselves (Orlando, Tampa, Jaksonville! honestly WTF).

Bring the ACC back to Charlotte and forget all about Florida (Sorry F State), especially those bellicose dimwits at Miami.

PS. Sporting events are good exposure for Charlotte and bring in lots of money.

I really hope we get this. Not that ACC football is renowned or even respected but the ACC and its events have quickly shifted to florida and the assanine enfranchisement of U Miami hasn't helped matters. It was not that long ago that NC was the bread and butter of these events, being that it was centrally located, had multiple "neutral" arenas, and was also home to the most schools by far (UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest). Now games are played up to the national level to give maximum exposure for these teams national fan bases, meaning that they hit up touristy towns with little affection for the colleges themselves (Orlando, Tampa, Jaksonville! honestly WTF).

Bring the ACC back to Charlotte and forget all about Florida (Sorry F State), especially those bellicose dimwits at Miami.

I agree - Charlotte has an awesome location for the ACC Bowl, and IMHO BofA Stadium is much better than Jacksonville's. Not only do we have all the NC schools (go Heels btw), but Clemson and VT are also close, along with GT and UVA. FSU and Maryland are a days drive or less, and the only far out schools are Miami and BC.

Here! Here! Hey whats going on everybody? First time poster, long time lurker. Is that right? Any way Mr Bobby is 100% right. How Jax got the game i dont know. But what ACC sight can beat Charlotte as far as amenities near the stadium? Pretty much everything is near the stadium. Talk to yall later

The city is going to put a bid in to the ACC to host the 2008, 2009, and 2010 ACC Football Championship game which is currently being held in Jacksonville, Florida. Currently, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando are in the process.

I wonder if we would give up the Meineke Car Care Bowl or the CIAA (?) football championship if we got the ACC game.

I'd love to see Charlotte get this game. I think we make the most sense in terms of proximity since we're basically the midpoint for all the schools in the ACC. I think we'd support it much better too. Neither of the first 2 games have sold out in JAX.

We would not lose any of the other football games. Atlanta and Dallas both host conference championship games (Big 12 and SEC) and also have bowl games.

I think Charlotte has a good chance of getting this game. Jacksonville has not pulled in the numbers that the ACC would have liked to see...mainly because of it's geography. I think that Charlotte has a definate geographic advantage being smack in the middle of the ACC that will help it overcome any worries about weather.

I'd love to see Charlotte get this game. I think we make the most sense in terms of proximity since we're basically the midpoint for all the schools in the ACC. I think we'd support it much better too. Neither of the first 2 games have sold out in JAX.

We would not lose any of the other football games. Atlanta and Dallas both host conference championship games (Big 12 and SEC) and also have bowl games.

Actually, unlike the SEC Championship, the Big 12 has its championship games in different cities every year rotating from the usual suspects San Antonio, Kansas City, St Louis, and Houston. Dallas has hosted only one time, but is slated for 2008 and beyond.

But it would be great to hold the ACC game here, seeing it would be another feather in the cap for the city.

Here! Here! Hey whats going on everybody? First time poster, long time lurker. Is that right? Any way Mr Bobby is 100% right. How Jax got the game i dont know. But what ACC sight can beat Charlotte as far as amenities near the stadium? Pretty much everything is near the stadium. Talk to yall later

I think Jax got the game because Fla. kicked in some serious incentive $$ that NC couldn't match at the time.

Our chances should be pretty good given the competition. Jax hasn't been well attended. Orlando is in the process of renovating their stadium and that will probably hurt their bid this time (but in three years, they may be a front runner), and the buzz on Tampa's ACC Basketball Tournament wasn't all that positive. I think their location hurts them more than anything else. It's just a really long way from almost every ACC school.

Charlotte def. has the location going for it. I think we'd also do the best job and would really value the tournament...moreso than some bigger cities (although those cities aren't bidding...I'm just saying).

I predict this will head to Charlotte after it's final year in Jax. It will be up to us to keep it I'd say.

• 3 months later...

Well, judging by the attendence today at the ACC Championship, it looks like Charlotte has a great shot at landing this game next year and further. The upper deck is virtually empty and most of the seats behind the endzone are empty. They were talking about how much of a disappointment the attendence has been for the game (can't blame weather this year). I'd say there's probably 45k-50k max at this game. Let's bring it home Charlotte!

The Richardson's may throw a wrench in this...they charge top dollar to rent the stadium out. Tampa and Orlando's stadiums are city controlled so they will probably be able to put together better financial deals. I still think it needs to be in a location that is driveable for most fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Down here at the ACC's largest school, we like the idea of the game being in Tampa even if we've not been to the game in two year. :( However you guys do make good points about geography and central location. I just wish CLT had a domed stadium for this event should it decide to stay there permanently.

Personally I'd favor a two year rotation schedule. If they did that, would you rotate it just between CLT and TPA? Or would you put JAX back in that mix too? What about another city also?

I'd rotate between Charlotte, Jacksonville and Atlanta. It would be nice to get Raleigh and Virginia into the mix, but I can't think of a way that would happen without having the game played on an ACC home field.

Of course, you could always have the bowl played at the actual home field of the "home" team... that would probably make for a better atomosphere, though I'd imagine that revenues would be much less.

Why do we need a dome? Football in 50 something degrees is not cold.

Tell that one to the majority of the students and fans of FSU that come from Central and South FL. :)

Justadude I thought about ATL, but since the SEC championship game is hosted there, I'm not sure I want my ACC game there too. And I'm not sure why I feel this way, but I do.

I like the idea of rotating the game every two years. It would be nice to have it 2 yrs in the Northern area like DC/Virginia/MD (have to be domed here of course...so no go) 2 yrs in the Central (CLT) and 2 years in the South (TPA or ORL.) Moving it around for me adds excitement to the match up and keeps the revenue from becoming stale.

Archived