ACC Football Championship in Charlotte?

Raintree21

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rotate between Charlotte, Jacksonville and Atlanta. It would be nice to get Raleigh and Virginia into the mix, but I can't think of a way that would happen without having the game played on an ACC home field.

Of course, you could always have the bowl played at the actual home field of the "home" team... that would probably make for a better atomosphere, though I'd imagine that revenues would be much less.

Atlanta already has the SEC championship, so that won't happen. I think Jacksonville had their chance for 3 years and didn't live up to the expectations to warrant the game returning in the near future. There really isn't a place in Virginia for the game. Virginia doesn't have a football stadium the size of Bank of America or Tampa's stadium. I also think the conferences look at amentities (sp?) like hotel availabililty, tourist spots, restaurants, etc. Most college campus stadiums don't have these things like Charlotte or Tampa.

I'm really stoked about Charlotte getting the game. Can you imagine what our city will look like 3 years from now? :)

Wait, we want to host a ACC football game and UNC Charlotte doesn't even have a football team? Isn't this kind of funny? Maybe this could help push us into getting a football team faster. :)

Those were my exact thoughts. Isn't it funny that we're pushing for more college football games to be played here outside of the bowl game yet at the same time we have a lot of those same people saying UNC-Charlotte doesn't need a college team?

In my opinion, I have to agree with Justadude. We should be happy not to get the ACC game the next couple of years. The ACC has really fallen off the football radar lately and the game would not bring much hype to Charlotte at all. Hopefully the ACC can get back on track in the next couple of years and we can have us a football game!

Plus, let's wait a couple more years to REALLY show off our city. I mean, our skyline should look pretty dang nice from the stadium in 2010, we'll have parks uptown that cater to sports fans, a ballpark, more parking, more hotels, more dining, more retail, more entertainment, more of everything really. And who knows? Maybe by then UNCC might've pushed through to get a I-AA team playing at Memorial or BoA getting the city more on the side (and in the spirit) of college football. And here's hoping the Panthers will have recovered by then and the Bobcats will have shaken off their freshmen jitters too! Charlotte should be in the mood to support the game a lot better by then.

If the attendance continues to decline for this game over the next 2 years, they can host it at Memorial Stadium when it comes to Charlotte. ;)

On a serious note, conf championship games aren't like bowl games where folks plan trips a month in advance and spend several days there. They usually have 1 or 2 weeks notice, and want to drive (not fly) in Sat AM, go to the game, spend the night, and drive back Sunday. Atlanta has been successful for the SEC because it has huge alumni bases for all of the schools living there and it is an easy drive for all of the schools except LSU and ARK.

If the attendance continues to decline for this game over the next 2 years, they can host it at Memorial Stadium when it comes to Charlotte. ;)

On a serious note, conf championship games aren't like bowl games where folks plan trips a month in advance and spend several days there. They usually have 1 or 2 weeks notice, and want to drive (not fly) in Sat AM, go to the game, spend the night, and drive back Sunday. Atlanta has been successful for the SEC because it has huge alumni bases for all of the schools living there and it is an easy drive for all of the schools except LSU and ARK.

Its a heck of a drive for Kentucky, too, but that hasn't been a problem in a long, long time.

(go vols!)

I have to agree in the fact that if Miami and Boston College were to meet one year, the game would pretty much be a ghost town except for the few hardcore alumni willing to make that trek. If those two teams played each other, forget Memorial, we could move that to Independence High School's stadium.

Outside of FSU, I think Charlotte is definitely within an easy driving distance of any of the other ACC schools so it would be a non-issue for them.

While I'm generally indifferent about ACC football, this will be good for Charlotte. With NC being definitively in ACC country, the crowd showing should be pretty high, especially if NC State, N. Carolina, or Clemson (by proximity) can make it to the big game.

Don't forget Wake Forest & Georgia Tech.

Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Maryland aren't tooooo far either.

VA Tech has a very strong presence in Charlotte. They have a very passionate fan base too. If I'm not mistaken, East Carolina plays VA Tech at BoA Stadium in September 2008 as well. I see no reason why that game won't sell out.

poonther, I don't think we can eliminate the NoVa area just because there isn't a domed stadium there. The majority of ACC teams play moderately cold-weather games, so with the exception of the Florida schools and maybe Georgia Tech, the weather in that area shouldn't be too much to handle. And if Miami ends up playing in the game, well to be honest they need to suck it up and play some football :)

Rotating does make more sense and it gives the other cities(regions) a shot at some revenue. Heck if I were the other schools that aren't in Florida I would be lobbying this point till I'm blue in the face. I understand the pull of Orlando but it all comes down to the football game. If there are core ACC fans willing to travel I don't think having Disney world in the backyard really matters. I will say I am disappointed in the Tampa decision but in hindsight it will benefit Charlotte to a great degree. Like others have said once the current projects are completed then the city will put on one heck of a show. Then maybe the QC will be able to get the game on a regular basis. I just want the ACC to get off this Florida(Tampa) kick and centralize the game. No offense to Tampa but that just doesn't even feel like ACC territory to me. I didn't attend the B-ball tourney but from a few of my friends that did said it lacked that certain feel that past tourneys had. Maybe moving the ACC headquarter to the QC will bring about the right attitude :shades: ...nah just kidding G-boro is just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I expect this game to do poorly in Tampa as well, probably not as bad as Jacksonville, but once the game comes to Charlotte, I think it will sell out no matter the opponent as it will be marketed well and is regional for so many different fans of different schools. Playing these games in Florida for essentially one school, FSU, makes no sense. Miami can't even sell out their own stadium, why do you think they'd travel elsewhere in the state to watch their team? I was at the FSU/VT game a few years back, and although they listed it as a sellout, it wasn't even close to full. Outside of Clemson, those are the two strongest traveling fan bases in the conference and it still wasn't packed. That essentially tells me that you need to centralize this game in the conference, and bring it home to Charlotte where 2/3's of the conference schools are within an easy drive of the game. I've got a lot of SEC friends that live here too that admittedly would go to a Championship type game if it was in their city. I don't think you ever saw the local by-partisan turnout in Jacksonville and won't see much of it in Tampa either.

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd revive this thread since the 1st ACC Championship game in Charlotte is less than 2 weeks away. There are now less than 12,000 tickets left for the December 4th game. Virginia Tech won their division and will await either NC State or Florida State. NC State just has to win this weekend to advance, while FSU would get the nod if the Wolfpack loses. I would imagine that a sellout is all but a foregone conclusion for the 73,000 seat BofA Stadium. Ticket sales really picked up after Tech won this weekend and you can pretty much bet the remaining tickets will be gone after this coming weekend. This bodes well for Charlotte holding on to the championship game after 2011. It's been argued all along that it should've been held here. City leaders will love the "cha-ching" sound for the bump in local revenue I'm sure since a majority of the people attending the game will be from out of town. :thumbsup:

On a related note - City seems to be incorporating the ACC into the Dec 2 tree lighting. Makes me think this will be a large event this year.

From the Observer "more information' about holiday events in the city side box in the story about First night:

Dec. 2: Tree-lighting ceremony, 5:30 to 8 p.m. at Trade and Tryon streets. The actual lighting will be at 6:20 p.m. and will include ACC officials and cheerleaders from the teams in town for the Dec. 4 ACC football championship game.

Here's a list of events and times for this weekend's ACC Championship:

Friday, 6 p.m., "ACC Night of Legends" at Charlotte Convention Center. A well-known past player from each school will attend. There's also an awards ceremony. Tickets: $150.

Saturday, noon to 7 p.m., ACC FanFest along South Mint and Graham streets near the stadium. Open to public.

2 to 3 p.m.: Bridgette Tatum performance; Dr Pepper Stage.

3 to 3:30 p.m.: Dr Pepper can toss;

Dr Pepper Field.

3:30 to 4 p.m.: ACC Mascot Game;

Dr Pepper Field.

4 to 4:30 p.m.: Dr Pepper/Food Lion Scholarship Throw; Dr Pepper Field.

4:30 to 5 p.m.: 2010 ACC Football Legends autograph session; Legends Tent.

4:45 to 5 p.m.: Atlantic Division pep rally.

5:15 to 5:30 p.m.: Coastal Division rally.

5:30 to 7 p.m.: Montgomery Gentry country music performance; Dr Pepper Stage.

ACC CHAMPIONSHIP

When: Saturday, 7:45 p.m.

Who: No. 12 Virginia Tech vs. No. 20 Florida State

Where: Bank Of America Stadium

TV: ESPN

Maybe moving the ACC headquarter to the QC will bring about the right attitude :shades: ...nah just kidding G-boro is just fine.

LOL Greensboro wouldn't allow it. The ACC Hall of Champions & Museum is under construction here right now and its an effort to make sure the ACC doesn't go any where. (There was a past effort by Charlotte officials to lure the ACC headquarters from Greensboro to Charlotte)

LOL the ACC is the reason Greensboro has a 23,500 seat arena which is large for a city without a major league sports team. The Greensboro Coliseum master plan calls for an additional 2,500 seats in the main arena and a large ACC banquet/convention hall as well. I think the banquet hall will be under construction soon. Greensboro just hosted the ACC Baseball tourney last spring and there are plans for ACC diving championships at the aquatic center which is under construction at the Greensboro Coliseum. Im sure there are a few that would want to the city to build a football stadium so we could secure the football tournament. There is Aggie football stadium at NC A&T but I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet the requirements for an ACC football game. While the stadium has a some what large seating capacity (23,000 seats), most of those seats are bleachers. LOL Thats one thing Greensboro is very protective of and thats the ACC.

• 7 months later...

CBJ today has two articles re: the ACC/Charlotte

The front page article is about the ACC leaning towards choosing Charlotte as the permanent home of the ACC Football Championship. Apparently last year's event in Charlotte was a big success.

The second article (more of a blurb) was in regards to Michael Jordan speaking with John Sworfford about Charlotte hosting future ACC basketball tournaments.

CBJ today has two articles re: the ACC/Charlotte

The front page article is about the ACC leaning towards choosing Charlotte as the permanent home of the ACC Football Championship. Apparently last year's event in Charlotte was a big success.

The second article (more of a blurb) was in regards to Michael Jordan speaking with John Sworfford about Charlotte hosting future ACC basketball tournaments.

I'm happy about the football championship prospects, but really excited about the idea of the ACC Tournament rotating through Charlotte more often. That tourney ranks just short of the NCAA Tourney (read Final Four) as my favorite sporting event (unless the Panthers return to the Super Bowl).

• 3 months later...

The 2011 ACC Football Championship is already nearing a sellout a month before the game. As of today about 700 tickets remain out of the 53,000 that were up for sale to the general public. The other 20,000 go to both participating schools (to be determined still). I think it's safe to say that the ACC will likely move towards making Charlotte the permanent site of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived