SC-28 bypass' viability

GSP Tiger

Anderson Independent-Mail: Bi-Lo recently closes their Lakeside store, at Pearman Dairy Road and West Whitener Street, relocating to the new Super Bi-Lo westward on SC-24.

The article mentions the shopping center having problems with shoplifters and streetwalkers, few reasons why Bi-Lo and others have departed in recent years. As positive growth shifts westward along SC-24, it seems the vacating areas infills with sketchy natures, an extension of things in south Anderson.

Does the area see some renewal coming in years ahead, or will it continue to abandon itself?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that article too. It's a shame really. I remember the days when that intersection showed a lot of promise. You can't really characterize the entire 28 Bypass by that one intersection though. In fact, just a little further south there is a thriving Walmart Supercenter which is brand new.

The problems (shoplifting, prostitution, etc) at the corner of Whitner and 28 bypass are really related to Whitner's problems going all the way into downtown. This area has been deteriorating for a long time. I wonder where the people who used to walk to that Bilo will shop now.

Archived