Sumter growth pattern

sumter

Topping the discussion among the majority of the city council members was land aquisition adjacent to Shaw AIR FORCE BASE that would help to prevent encroachment - expansion for Shaw AIR FORCE BASE is a factor for Base Realignment and Closure commitees examine when compiling a list.Also extended water lines and building an elevated water tank in the Pocotaligo Industrial Park on U.S.521 South was also discussed in depth as a possible project the tax could help to fund.What conerns Sumter now is growth pattern.... If a major industry wre to come here,it would put Sumter in a bind. There were other projects listed.Two parking garages to support a downtown apartment complex and hotel, Individual transportation project improvements, a new law enforcement center, two new fire station - one on Patriot Parkway near Loring Mill Road area and and the other on U.S.15 South area and Central business district beautification; the task would include burying utilities.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On yesterday I went to the Sumter Area Transportation Study public workshop presented by Kimley-Horn Consultants out of Raleigh N.C. has estimated Sumter,S.C. population is 82,000 under the new expanded boundaries making Sumter near a 90,000 by 2010 census.From anyone that is from Sumter there is about 30 projects prioritized into three tiers.The first tier,the most- needed projects according to the consultants,are widenening Wedgfield Road from Deschamps Road to Pinewood Road;Alice Drive from Wise Drive to U.S. 521; Frierson Road to Shaw Air Force Base rear gate to U.S.521; and improvements to access and interchange from Carter Road to the U.S.76.

Do you mean SUATS. The Sumter area is growing pretty rapidly and there is a lot of commercial development taking place ; including other retail is watching the area pretty closely.I think this area is going to need more schools built and also turning USC-Sumter into a 4 year institution.

We have two other colleges Morris College, a four year historical black college, Central Carolina Technical College and ; including ST. Leo College and Webster University located at the Military Base and Troy University station in the downtown area.

The city and county is now expanding the airport the cost is $900,000.The city and county will recieved more revenues coming in from the expansion of the airport.The aiport does not have any major commercial planes,but the airport does have corporate planes and jets. The airport is expanding continuosly,but on a slow base.

Do you mean SUATS. The Sumter area is growing pretty rapidly and there is a lot of commercial development taking place ; including other retail is watching the area pretty closely.I think this area is going to need more schools built and also turning USC-Sumter into a 4 year institution.

USC-Sumter does not want to merge with Central Carolina Tech. College. USC-Sumter stated that the college has the same amount of students that Morris College has here in Sumter.The college wants to become independent,because there are lot kids that does not want to drive all the way the main campus in Columbia and some stated that the tuition is to high.

• 2 weeks later...

USC-Sumter is starting to build up their Athletic Dept. They came up with a new mascot.They are now call The FIRE ANTS.The baseball team will start the 2007 season at Riley Baseball Park and the softball team will play in Palmetto Park at the Joe Robertson baseball field.This is great news it shows that the college is doing everything in its power to become a four year institution.

• 1 month later...

thanks for the updates, sumter, I like reading about what's going on in Sumter. I read about the Fire Ants, I was wondering when USCS would start an athletic dep't. They couldn't have come up with a better mascot, either - I think Fire Ants is pretty funny.

USCS may have an interest in remaining independent, but there are good reasons to consolidate. I bet we waste a lot of money by having two colleges next to one another; I'm sure they have many duplicate services.

Archived