International Civil Rights Museum

cityboi

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cityboi I think the community needs to get more involved. I think if the city can provide million for the Natural Science Center, they should be about to help support the Civil Rights Museum.

According to the article the city, county and state have already given over $3 million to the Sit-In project. I couldn't find out how much in private funds they have received but as a comparison the natural science center first raised over $6 million in private funds and then received $3 million from the state in the 2001 bond referendum (remember there was a referendum that the city voted against in the last election for the Sit-In museum). The Natural Science Center has a 10 year, $15 million plan and they raised $6 million in private funds when the first phase cost only $5.4 million to complete. They will also continue raising private funds for the future. Where as the Sit-In Museum is looking for $8.5 million immediately from the city after they have already received $3 million. Based on the size of the two projects I would think the Natural Science Center would cost a few dollars more to remodel and maintain. Then if you look at the state report from last year showing that the Sit-In Museum poorly used $2 million in funds you have to wonder if you want more tax dollars pumped into this project unless they get some solid leaders involved to make good decisions.

My point is while this project really needs to get off the ground because it is an important part of Greensboro's history there needs to be better leadership and some accountability. Instead of expecting the government to fund the majority of the project they should do a better job in securing private funds if they expect the taxpayers to put up their dollars.

Personally I think this should be funded mainly by the federal government since this attraction will really be more of a national attraction and will be affilated with the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC. if this project recieve signifcant federal funding, it would get off the ground a whole lot quicker. You mentioned how leadership mishandled funding. I think the two leaders in question stepped down and let others take over so I dont think thats really an issue any more but this project really needs to get of the ground because it would not only provide a tourist attraction for downtown Greensboro but it is a part of Greensboro's history. National civil rights tour buses are already passing through Greensboro just to see the museum from the outside so yes we need to hurry up and get this built.

• 2 months later...

Greensboro City Council just agreed to use some public funds towards this project. Its long over due for Greensboro and it will be a great tourist magnet for downtown. The project has been plague with problems. There was severe water damage in the basement of the woolworth building so the project ended up costing more than planned. There were also some ethical issues with the two people that started the effort to buiild the museum.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was mentioned on WFMY News 2 last night :) This would be a huge deal for the museum opening because not only will it be historic but it will attract national attention to the opening if he comes. What a way to really put this museum on the map.

• 3 months later...

I was downtown yesterday for the Italian Festival and went by the museum. All the exterior signage is up and it looks really great! I forgot to bring my camera, and the pictures on my phone didn't turn out well. Maybe someone else can snap a few or I will if I can remember to grab my camera next time.

• 1 month later...

Grammy winner Yolanda Adams will help dedicate the new center at a ceremony being held at the Greensboro Coliseum on Jan. 31. On Jan. 28, TV/Radio personality Ed Gordon will be conducting a forum at A&T on 21st Century Activism. Panelists include Jesse Jackson, Rev Al Sharpton, Dr. Benjamin Chavis, Julianne Malveaux, ESPN sports analyst and WSSU alum Stephen Smith, and more.

I'm sure more celebs will be attending dedication events as the date draws near.

Hard to believe that after more than 10 years the museum will be opening in less than a month! President Obama was invited to come but I doubt that will be the case now because its too close to the opening and the white house schedule would have revealed it by now.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived