72/Moores Mill Development

Huntsville_secede

• 2 months later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still need a walmart/targert in this area hopefully further down on shields road.

http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes...&thispage=1

Shopping complex to include park areas

Sunday, November 11, 2007

By MARIAN ACCARDI

Times Business Writer [email protected]

Harris Hill development will be at U.S. 72, Moores Mill

After two years of planning and research, developers are poised to start a park-like commercial project at what they call the main intersection for northeast Madison County and northeast Alabama traffic coming into Huntsville.

Harris Hill, a development at U.S. 72 East at the Moores Mill Road extension, would include a hotel, shops, restaurants and office space. In all, the project would include about 600 acres, with 200 acres set aside for parks, greenspace and trails.

We still need a walmart/targert in this area hopefully further down on shields road.

http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes...&thispage=1

Shopping complex to include park areas

Sunday, November 11, 2007

By MARIAN ACCARDI

Times Business Writer [email protected]

Harris Hill development will be at U.S. 72, Moores Mill

After two years of planning and research, developers are poised to start a park-like commercial project at what they call the main intersection for northeast Madison County and northeast Alabama traffic coming into Huntsville.

Harris Hill, a development at U.S. 72 East at the Moores Mill Road extension, would include a hotel, shops, restaurants and office space. In all, the project would include about 600 acres, with 200 acres set aside for parks, greenspace and trails.

This development is exactly what we need in this area. It's been a long time coming. I just hope they do a good job with planning it; good planning is something that is needed in Northeast Huntsville.

Is anyone else astonished at the fact that the development will be 600 acres!? I didn't know that there was that much land there.

And that will be great if the Target deal goes through. They're also right about bringing better restaurants to the area. Restaurants like Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, Panera Bread, and Starbucks are needed out here.

This development is exactly what we need in this area. It's been a long time coming. I just hope they do a good job with planning it; good planning is something that is needed in Northeast Huntsville.

Is anyone else astonished at the fact that the development will be 600 acres!? I didn't know that there was that much land there.

And that will be great if the Target deal goes through. They're also right about bringing better restaurants to the area. Restaurants like Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, Panera Bread, and Starbucks are needed out here.

What is also encouraging about this is Huntsville is seeing major developments of varying degrees all over town, not just in one area.

Downtown-Constellation, Medical buildings, parking, condo developments

Westside-Bridge Street, Walmart, Publix center, airport, large housing developments

Northside, Meridianville has some large housing developments underway and planned

Eastside- Harris Hill

South- Hampton Cove/ McMullen Cove/Whitesburg Center/Valley Bend

Far South, major roadwork/Tennessee River area new housing , bridges.

From the city-data.com website

"I have a blue print of what is proposed in east huntsville at harris hill at the corner of 72 and across from moores mill. It includes a target best buy a hotel a theater and a lot of condos and homes. If anyone can tell me how to post a .pdf file on here you can view it. Im trying to figure out where it came from because I cannot find it anywhere."

Can anyone confirm these rumors? I wouldnt be suprised if a Target was in this complex but a best buy and a movie theatre! That would be great.... Anybody that has seen a blueprint of this proposal please tell us!

well one thing for sure, the traffic situation in that area has become critical. It seems there is a bit more

urgency about the overpasses planned and construction to begin soon. Also the the new road over Chapman

looks like it will be used as a detour at times when these overpasses are being built. As it is US 72/I-565

are over capacity with the need of added lanes from downtown east to Moores Mill. I believe it will be 6 lanes each

way all the way to Ryland Pike so something will have to be done going over the mountain. Poor planning on display

in that stretch of road

well one thing for sure, the traffic situation in that area has become critical. It seems there is a bit more

urgency about the overpasses planned and construction to begin soon. Also the the new road over Chapman

looks like it will be used as a detour at times when these overpasses are being built. As it is US 72/I-565

are over capacity with the need of added lanes from downtown east to Moores Mill. I believe it will be 6 lanes each

way all the way to Ryland Pike so something will have to be done going over the mountain. Poor planning on display

in that stretch of road

I'm sure u meant 3 lanes each way... but it will be hard to do that considering 565 is elevated when it passes downtown and is only 2 lanes.. They could easily add another lane each way after the elevated part but whats the point if its still going to be 2 lanes going toward Huntsville?

Nope, no hoax- checked the architect's website and here it is- http://www.wakefieldbeasley.com/portfolio/...p;project=129#1. I can't really believe it myself, but there are a couple small flaws in the plan:

1) How are they going to fit all the traffic coming in/out of this center onto two lane roads?

2)Where did Subway, Wendy's and Shell go?

What is also encouraging about this is Huntsville is seeing major developments of varying degrees all over town, not just in one area.

Downtown-Constellation, Medical buildings, parking, condo developments

Westside-Bridge Street, Walmart, Publix center, airport, large housing developments

Northside, Meridianville has some large housing developments underway and planned

Eastside- Harris Hill

South- Hampton Cove/ McMullen Cove/Whitesburg Center/Valley Bend

Far South, major roadwork/Tennessee River area new housing , bridges.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm more stunned at the fact that Target is going to be a SuperTarget. :blink: I could have a sworn that Target Corporation said that they were not going to place anymore SuperTarget locations in Alabama due low grocery sells to the massive competition coming from the Wal-Mart Supercenters & Neighborhood Markets. I say this because originally the Montgomery, Oxford, and Bessemer Target stores were going to be SuperTarget locations, but were degraded due to this explanation.

^Last time I checked, Colonial Promenade Huntsville (the 72/Balch development) has plans for just a Wal-Mart Supercenter and a strip center with a "junior tenant," along with the movie theater and apartments. No Target is planned for now, but considering how Colonial has a history of putting both Wal-Mart and Target in the same development (eg their massive center in Alabaster off I-65), you never know.

I'm more stunned at the fact that Target is going to be a SuperTarget. blink.gif I could have a sworn that Target Corporation said that they were not going to place anymore SuperTarget locations in Alabama due low grocery sells to the massive competition coming from the Wal-Mart Supercenters & Neighborhood Markets. I say this because originally the Montgomery, Oxford, and Bessemer Target stores were going to be SuperTarget locations, but were degraded due to this explanation.

^Last time I checked, Colonial Promenade Huntsville (the 72/Balch development) has plans for just a Wal-Mart Supercenter and a strip center with a "junior tenant," along with the movie theater and apartments. No Target is planned for now, but considering how Colonial has a history of putting both Wal-Mart and Target in the same development (eg their massive center in Alabaster off I-65), you never know.

I've heard that too (probably on this forum), and the funny thing is, Wal-Mart is putting a Supercenter just east of Harris Hill. Personally, I would be happy with a regular "Target w/ groceries" out here.

I've heard that too (probably on this forum), and the funny thing is, Wal-Mart is putting a Supercenter just east of Harris Hill. Personally, I would be happy with a regular "Target w/ groceries" out here.

Archived