72/Moores Mill Development

Huntsville_secede

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard some talk about the limited-access portion going all the way to Ryland Pike. But it won't be signed as 565 beyond what it is now. The High Mountain interchange will not be built probably until after it is extended to Chase Road; I'm not sure when that project will begin. B/c of the low traffic counts on High Mountain and the service road being built to Moores Mill, there really isn't a need for an overpass there right now.

I've heard some talk about the limited-access portion going all the way to Ryland Pike. But it won't be signed as 565 beyond what it is now. The High Mountain interchange will not be built probably until after it is extended to Chase Road; I'm not sure when that project will begin. B/c of the low traffic counts on High Mountain and the service road being built to Moores Mill, there really isn't a need for an overpass there right now.

Not all limited-access highways are interstates (Local example: AL 255/Research Park Blvd.). Yes, there are long range plans to eventually make 72 limited-access to Kimball, TN (the city where I-24 and 72 meet), but it won't be upgraded to "interstate standards." What I mean by that is, a highway must meet specific federal requirements to be signed as an interstate, and most of the time, it costs much less for a state to keep it as a "limited-access highway" with interchanges and a few small intersections, such as High Mountain Road, than to meet the interstate standards. This option is becoming more popular now that federal highway funds are running low and gasoline taxes are flat.

The Huntsville long-range transportation plan hints at interchanges being built on US 72 at Ryland Pike, Moontown Road, Brock Road next to Madison County High School, and the Eastern Bypass in addition to the proposed overpasses/interchanges at High Mountain Road, Moores Mill Road, and Shields Road. As you said though it doesn't mean they are going to make it completely limited-access, but if they are going to go through and put interchanges at those locations then some form of access control at other points needs to be considered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A useless report on WHNT 19 tonight about what is being built didn't shed any light on the project. We on these boards no much more.

Basically they said the developer is being very tight lipped but some of the large stores planned are already in Huntsville.

(Super Target, JC Penney) It's funny to watch reporters try to make a story when there isn't one.

Archived