New Hospital Tower to open in Jackson in March of 08

Rural King

The Jackson Sun reported today that Jackson Madison County General Hosptial's new 9-story patient tower is scheduled to be open sometime in March of next year. The article has a good picture of the new tower (so check out the embedded link), and I must say its a very nice new addition to the current facility visually - which was rather dated and utilitarian in design- but hey design plays no role in its function and its already a great hospital that serves a vital role for all of rural West Tennessee.

This addition definitely enhances and modernizes the facility and will be a great enhancement for the region's medical infrastructure. The new tower for example will have larger patient rooms, improved nursing stations, and be set up throughout for wireless technology that will enable doctors to use hand-held devices to access records anywhere in the new tower.

The new tower is 356,000 sq/ft and will increase the hospitals bed-count to 612. The overall cost of the new tower is cited at $117 million.

Just another nice development story from Jackson I thought folks might be interested in. Things keep chugging along in the "Hub City". :)

Discussion: Does anyone know if any of the other larger regional hospitals (ie Memphis, Jonesboro, etc) have the wireless hand-held medical records system in operation yet? I was wondering how far ahead of the curve Jackson might be. I don't think Union City, Dyersburg, or Paris has anything like it yet.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jackson Sun reported today that Jackson Madison County General Hosptial's new 9-story patient tower is scheduled to be open sometime in March of next year. The article has a good picture of the new tower (so check out the embedded link), and I must say its a very nice new addition to the current facility visually - which was rather dated and utilitarian in design- but hey design plays no role in its function and its already a great hospital that serves a vital role for all of rural West Tennessee.

This addition definitely enhances and modernizes the facility and will be a great enhancement for the region's medical infrastructure. The new tower for example will have larger patient rooms, improved nursing stations, and be set up throughout for wireless technology that will enable doctors to use hand-held devices to access records anywhere in the new tower.

The new tower is 356,000 sq/ft and will increase the hospitals bed-count to 612. The overall cost of the new tower is cited at $117 million.

Just another nice development story from Jackson I thought folks might be interested in. Things keep chugging along in the "Hub City". :)

Discussion: Does anyone know if any of the other larger regional hospitals (ie Memphis, Jonesboro, etc) have the wireless hand-held medical records system in operation yet? I was wondering how far ahead of the curve Jackson might be. I don't think Union City, Dyersburg, or Paris has anything like it yet.

^According to my wife who works at Baptist, you're right. She said they have wireless computers in every room, and they'd talked about giving ICU the hand-held devices. According to her, she'd rather have the computers because they're easier to read and faster to enter data into the patient's chart.

^According to my wife who works at Baptist, you're right. She said they have wireless computers in every room, and they'd talked about giving ICU the hand-held devices. According to her, she'd rather have the computers because they're easier to read and faster to enter data into the patient's chart.

Archived