Bury power cables on Washington Road?

CanukInAugusta

Just curious; has it ever been proposed to bury the utility cable along Washington Road (either Richmond County and/or Columbia County) ?

I think this is one of the most unatractive roads I have ever seen. I think burying all of the overhead cables would go a long way a remediating this.

I know as a property owner I would support this.

Thoughts? Opinions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I support buried power lines anywhere. That said, burying power lines will not suddenly make Washington Rd. palatable... The businesses and signage along that road from the Calhoun Expy well into Col. Co. are the real eyesore. I think it would be a huge misplacement of funds to undergo such an expensive project on such a hideous road. It's like planting a flower on top of a trash dump...

I think I've said it before, but it's pretty pathetic when the most attractive building on Washington Road is the Publix at Alexander Drive. I'm with Topher---bulldoze the whole thing (except for Wasabi, which has the best cheap Japanese food anywhere). Anything else is putting lipstick on a pig. Question: Why does Augusta need so many gas stations?

:lol: Yes, bull-dozing Washingtom is tempting.

However, that probably is not too realistic.

What might "help" imho would be;

- burrtying all utility cables

- put in place some zoning restrictions that require the dissambly of those mosnter signs (especially Raceway gas station signs)

- Put medians down the center with some vegetation.

Evans (while far from perfect) I think "looks" better than the area right around the I-20 interchange.

Archived