What exterior construction materials for newer homes?

Movingsouth

Hi,

My family is planning on relocating in Chapel Hill next year. We currently own a home in the Northeast with cedar siding on the exterior. It's been a real b#tch to maintain. It requires painting/powerwashing every few years due to all the mold and mildew up here. How are they constructing the newer homes (2000+) down there? Are they using primarily vinyl siding, brick, stucco, stone? I would be happy with anything as long as it's not wooden siding.

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

My family is planning on relocating in Chapel Hill next year. We currently own a home in the Northeast with cedar siding on the exterior. It's been a real b#tch to maintain. It requires painting/powerwashing every few years due to all the mold and mildew up here. How are they constructing the newer homes (2000+) down there? Are they using primarily vinyl siding, brick, stucco, stone? I would be happy with anything as long as it's not wooden siding.

Thanks

Yeah, older houses in the downtown areas have wood siding at times (if it hasn't been yet replaced with vinyl). The good to that is, they can easily change the color of their house if they want to. I saw one in Raleigh's Oakwood area that has changed color like 4 times in the twelve years I've lived here! :P

But they do require frequent painting...possibly due to the high humidity here.

Vinyl lasts longer but don't get the cheap stuff...I've seen some fade in the sun after about a decade. And stucco has it's own issues..particularly if it's the fake stuff that gets moldy.

Brick would be my first choice if I can afford it....painted or not.

More and more common in higher-end new construction around here is a combination of masonry (stone/brick) and Hardi Plank siding. Hardi plank looks more like wood but is more durable and looks better than vinyl. It can be purchased pre-colored, but is often painted. I think it doesn't need to be painted as often as wood, either.

Hardi-plank? I never heard of it. It sounds good though. I will have to search it.

Thanks

More and more common in higher-end new construction around here is a combination of masonry (stone/brick) and Hardi Plank siding. Hardi plank looks more like wood but is more durable and looks better than vinyl. It can be purchased pre-colored, but is often painted. I think it doesn't need to be painted as often as wood, either.

I was going to suggest Hardi Plank as I see Orulz beat me to it. I think it has a 50 year warranty and many many houses have used it for years. It looks just like wood and many houses that you see, you would say it is wood but it is not. It looks just like treated wood as it is in planks but has enough concrete material in it to withstand the weather.

I still say Brick is the best but of couse, more expensive.

Archived