Triad Tower

cityboi

.... just because the building is tall, that doesnt justify it as poor planning.

Agreed, but is is poor planning for the reasons I gave above not because the building is a certain height. On top of that, from the rendering, the building is a remarkably bland box with no consideration for liveability at street level. It is about as bad as it gets. All too often designers are too interested in making a statement with their skyscrapers with little regard for how it integrates into the urban environment. This project certainly qualifies.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually it wont be an isolated building just in the middle of a big parking lot. It will be part of a 30 acre campus where there are existing office buildings so its very pedestrian oriented and will also include tunnels from existing buildings that will connect to the tower so when its pouring down rain you wont have to get wet going from building to building. There will be attractive landscaping outside of Triad Tower including water fountains. There is really no need for things like street level retail and that sort of thing outside the building because all this will be in the building. A person will be able to live, shop, eat, work and even have entertainment options in Triad Tower. On top of that, other office buildings and hotels will be built near Triad Tower on this campus so Triad Tower is just a part of one big development and not some isolated building near the airport.

offices.jpg

tower6.jpg

The problem with the Triad Tower is not that it's a tower outside of downtown, but considering the nature of this tower, the context simply doesn't fit. A mixed-use tower is designed to be integrated within an existing urban context. It won't be an isolated building, but will be located in the middle of a parking lot? That's contradictory, even if it will exist on a sprawling office campus. If it was JUST an office tower, that would have been much better than trying to emulate a tower that belongs in an urban area, but instead placing it in a decidedly suburban context.

This is exactly an example of a bad design of a place for people. There is no where to sit down, it doesn't provide any shelter from the heat, sun or cold, and it is anything but an intimate place. It even has the requisite big fountain that always gets plopped down in the middle of these expanses of concrete. The only thing this space will be used for is for people to walk from the parking lot to get inside their hermitically sealed building where they can pretend this doesn't exist.

This project is lacking in every aspect except for maybe its size.

tower6.jpg

I don't know why most people are so negative about this tower.

Sure, it would be nice to have downtown, but at least it is another tower for the Triad.

And the area this will be built in is not overly suburban. It is in a very industrial section of suburban Greensboro......very close to I-40/85, PTI, Tank farms, Carrier/Distribution companies all in the area. I think this tower will help the area. And the tower isn't that bland; it's ok looking.

Sure, it would be nice to have downtown, but at least it is another tower for the Triad.

I don't think this tower is a good addition to the triad and I hope we don't turn into like other "sprawlopolises" and have towers dotted all over the landscape with no cohesion. This belongs in the downtown Greensboro setting. If they want to build out of downtown, they should plan multiple low rise buildings.

I don't know why most people are so negative about this tower.

And the area this will be built in is not overly suburban. It is in a very industrial section of suburban Greensboro......very close to I-40/85, PTI, Tank farms, Carrier/Distribution companies all in the area. I think this tower will help the area. And the tower isn't that bland; it's ok looking.

I agree.....the tower may not win any awards for best design but its still a decent looking tower. some how I think most people on the forum wouldnt be hostile towards it if it were a lowrise (3 to 4 stories)

as for having places to sit outside the building, i'm sure there will be seats and benches out there knowing that people like to eat lunch and take breaks outside.

I just think there is nothing at all wrong with building a tall building outside of downtown. I just dont see the poor planning here. Believe it or not, as the FedEx hub opens, there will definatly be a need for office space in the airport area wether we like it or not. Sure I'd like to see it downtown but a skyscrpaer near the airport is better than no skyscraper at all. Every major U.S. city has skyscrapers outside of their downtowns. They vary in height but I just believe just because the building is tall, that doesnt justify it as poor planning. As for the comments about draining downtown, the airport and downtown are two totally different markets and I dont see those markets as competition.

A few questions.

1. Have you ever lived in a skyscraper?

2. Have you ever stayed in a high-rise hotel for several days? I mean, say 10th floor or higher?

3. When was the last time you walked to or from a restaurant/movie/coffee shop for entertainment in the Triad? And if it was recently, when was the last time before that?

The Triad needs an IMAX though. And the location is nice and has plenty of room to grow. Stayed in a hotel there recently. Could be worse in my opinion.

An IMAX here would be the best location financailly because it would easily draw people from High Point and Winston.

A few questions.

1. Have you ever lived in a skyscraper?

2. Have you ever stayed in a high-rise hotel for several days? I mean, say 10th floor or higher?

3. When was the last time you walked to or from a restaurant/movie/coffee shop for entertainment in the Triad? And if it was recently, when was the last time before that?

yes I have lived in a skyscraper. (for a brief period of time)

But as I said before, There is no need for Triad Tower to have alot of restaurants, entertainment and coffe shop surrounding the building because all these amenities will be inside. Thats the beauty of it. Its th ammenties of this tower that makes it good planning in my opinion. If this had been strictly an office tower, that may be a different story.

An IMAX here would be the best location financailly because it would easily draw people from High Point and Winston.

All sprawl exists because it makes the most money for the developer who stripped the land to create it. It doesn't mean it is a good idea or desirable for the inhabitants of the city.

This project is no different.

All sprawl exists because it makes the most money for the developer who stripped the land to create it. It doesn't mean it is a good idea or desirable for the inhabitants of the city.

This project is no different.

This project is different though. The area is already heavily developed commercially. And why is it? Because it is on the interstate at a highway interchange, very close to the airport. No land will be cleared for this building, but if it were more land would have to be cleared if it were 4 story buildings rather than one 22 story building. This is not virgin land here.

As far as planning I don't see where the planning is bad. The area is zoned for office space which makes sense given the location. Could you realistically see a village-like, mixed use community right up against a 10 lane highway, so close to the airport? Or should the land be tree-covered or farm land? This area is a center for work and has been for a long time. If you live in north High Point, west Greensboro, or eastern Forsyth, this is closer than one of the cities' downtowns. In that respect you are putting more opportunities to work closer to where people live.

Yes, I would much prefer seeing this downtown. But this building would not be built if you told the developer they could only build it downtown. I do beleive in government regulation of land use through zoning laws, however I do not believe in a stringent, dictatorship of telling everyone what they can or can't do with their own property. To do so is a violation of one's liberty.

I second that post. This area of the Triad has been poised for economic growth for years and the land has been set aside. Drive up and down 68... between Wendover and Bryan Blvd. I do wish that it would be downtown as it would boost the skyline. I'd be against this plan if it were say.... off of the new I-85 bypass south of Greensboro or out north of Greensboro on Hwy. 29, etc... or going to destroy acres of forest.

Do we really know what will be included in this project with regards to water fountains, theaters, bells, whistles, etc (other than what can be found on the website)? Nope. We do know that developers randomly change their plans, so why argue about it now. Let's just wait and see what happens. The building won't be a detriment to the region IMO.

And sprawl.... it's already there, but do consider than you have a new freeway being built just to the east of the airport which will likely handle traffic flow around the airport much better. Sorry if I offended anyone.

And sprawl.... it's already there, but do consider than you have a new freeway being built just to the east of the airport which will likely handle traffic flow around the airport much better. Sorry if I offended anyone.

So because there is spawl then it is ok to continue to construct more of it? Also, as you mention there is yet another freeway going up in the triad. The triad has an excessive amount of highways and more on the way. One day the people there will realize that if you build more highways, you get more cars because of the really poor developments that spring up around the exits just like this one. If you want to start headed for a more sustainable liveable environment then this isn't the way to go about it. When the very real possiblity of $5/gallon gasoline occurs, you will see places like this turn into ghosttowns.

I'm not saying that it's OK to build this building because there's sprawl.... and I don't really think it would contribute to it once built. Someone mentioned that building the tower would spur sprawl like western Greensboro has been unscathed by it which we know is not the case.

Freeways... Painter Blvd once completed from old/new 85 south of Greensboro to Bryan Boulevard won't spur more sprawl, more cars, etc. The area between Greensboro and High Point is the definition of sprawl. Again, the sprawl is already there and traffic is a mess in that area because all you have are arterials, past country roads, and Wendover. That issue is poor planning, but I think the new freeway may relieve those current problems in that area.

Like I said earlier, a smarter place for the tower would have been downtown Greensboro hands down, the office park where it will be build by no means is the worst. IMO a new mall built there would be stupid and would be more likely to spur sprawl out the you know what.

So because there is spawl then it is ok to continue to construct more of it? Also, as you mention there is yet another freeway going up in the triad. The triad has an excessive amount of highways and more on the way. One day the people there will realize that if you build more highways, you get more cars because of the really poor developments that spring up around the exits just like this one. If you want to start headed for a more sustainable liveable environment then this isn't the way to go about it. When the very real possiblity of $5/gallon gasoline occurs, you will see places like this turn into ghosttowns.

This project is different though. The area is already heavily developed commercially. And why is it? Because it is on the interstate at a highway interchange, very close to the airport. No land will be cleared for this building, but if it were more land would have to be cleared if it were 4 story buildings rather than one 22 story building. This is not virgin land here.

Just because an area has commercial development doesn't mean we need to throw high rises to the mix. This is a terrible example of poor planning. Multiple low rise/mid rise office buildings would be better suited to this location. I am GREATLY concerned over high-rise development close to the airport. Starting this could make the airport less desirable for future "FedEx's."

Greensboro is just copying the pitiful mistakes in planning Atlanta and Houston have made. It's a shame and a disgrace as a "quality" development could have been built in this monstosities place.

Just because an area has commercial development doesn't mean we need to throw high rises to the mix. This is a terrible example of poor planning. Multiple low rise/mid rise office buildings would be better suited to this location. I am GREATLY concerned over high-rise development close to the airport. Starting this could make the airport less desirable for future "FedEx's."

Greensboro is just copying the pitiful mistakes in planning Atlanta and Houston have made. It's a shame and a disgrace as a "quality" development could have been built in this monstosities place.

explain why highrises are bad for developments outside of downtowns. What is the negative impact?

Even Winston has highrises outside of downtown (Baptist Hospital)

explain why highrises are bad for developments outside of downtowns. What is the negative impact?

Even Winston has highrises outside of downtown (Baptist Hospital)

I don't think we can compare a public service building (hospital) to a planned commercial office tower. Hospitals usually are linked to the land they start on and build upwards. This is commonplace across the country, as there are many mid to high rise hospitals outside of CBD's. Also, Baptist is NOT as removed from downtown W-S as the Triad Tower will be from downtown GBO. Not to mention, Baptist is also in an area where several mid-rise office complexes are close by (as well as Forsyth in this instance.) Could the hospitals moved out to the burbs and provided a terrible to navigate sprawling campus type setting, yes, but hospitals are generally near the center of the populations they serve.

All I can imagine is my memories of Houston and Atlanta where you can see skyscrapers dotted all around the cityscape. These developments are cold and are centered around the car and bring no livability to the city.

Although Tyson's Corner is known as the epitome of obscene suburban sprawl, at least Tyson's Corner's has megamalls, restaurants, Best Buy, condos, apartments, car dealerships, furniture stores, grocery stores, offices, and schools to walk to from their many office towers, even if means you have to risk your life crossing huge boulevards. Unfortunately Triad Tower won't even have development around it to lure people on the surrounding streets.

Archived