Triad Tower

cityboi

This tower isn't a part of the plan from what I can tell. It was also announced several months before the HOT plan was announced. You can find more information about what is planned in the "heart of the triad" at PART's website.

http://partnc.org/images/HOTCharretteOutcomes.pdf

http://partnc.org/images/HOTCharretteSummaryFinal.pdf

http://partnc.org/images/HOT-forum-PPT.pdf

http://partnc.org/images/HOT-general-PPT.pdf

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baptist Hospital in Winston is a poor comparison. You can walk from Baptist to Downtown in a reasonable amount of time through a good grid of sidewalked streets in the West End. The Hospital is also so close to downtown that if the streetcar is built, its limited 2-mile track will link Baptist and downtown. Triad Tower is close to nothing other than the airport.

Is it really so hard to understand why a 22-story building so close to the flightpath is not such a good idea?

As for high-rises outside of downtowns, the problem is that the building typology is inappropriate. The skyscraper as a building form is meant to realize the high land values of places with great locational advantage where other land is scarce, in order to maximize economic productivity of the land. Land around the PTI airport, which may have less than 10 years as a viable passenger operation, is just not that scarce right now.

Also, as long as the cities and counties continue to permit office space to be developed willy-nilly, just about anywhere in Guilford or Forsyth Counties, it does weaken the office market for downtown space.

Hmmmm, I wonder who the "major tenant" they were scoping out was and if they are looking elsewhere in the Triad...

:huh:

If Dell were looking for some kind of office space in the Triad, Triad Tower would be a great building for them.

The footprint of this building has shrunken dramatically per GBJ which means there most likely will not be a single majot tenant but rather a spec project.

I don't understand what the HOT is. It sounds like a bunch of generalities and vague ideas.

Yes it doesn't sound like there will be any one major tenant. Considering that there will be 3 restaurants, residential and possibly and IMAX theater along with office space, it is definitely going to be a unique building for the area. I'm glad they have chose the smaller footprint. That will mean less office space on the market and hopefully will have less of an impact on the downtown office market.

I too wonder who that potential "major tenant" was they mentioned. ???

• 1 month later...

This is an incredibly dumb idea and these guys are going to lose a lot of money. I don't know anybody who wants to live in a skyscraper that opens into a suburban auto slum. Who do they think is going to rent/buy these places with all the REAL urban living options coming up in DT GSO and DT W-S?

Mark my words- if this thing ever gets built, which I doubt it will, it will not have a residential component when the dust settles.

This is an incredibly dumb idea and these guys are going to lose a lot of money. I don't know anybody who wants to live in a skyscraper that opens into a suburban auto slum. Who do they think is going to rent/buy these places with all the REAL urban living options coming up in DT GSO and DT W-S?

Mark my words- if this thing ever gets built, which I doubt it will, it will not have a residential component when the dust settles.

I agree. This should have been built in downtown Greensboro, especially if they are wanting to have residential componet within the building. I would not want to live in the area with all the traffic on I40 plus the air traffic and Fedex. Is there anyone within this forum that would consider living in this location? :stop:

I agree. This should have been built in downtown Greensboro, especially if they are wainting to have residential componet within the building. I would not want to live in the area with all the traffic on I40 plus the air traffic and Fedex. Is there anyone within this forum that would consider living in this location? :stop:

I agree but a tower is better than no tower at all. But I do prefer this building to be downtown.

the only people i can picture living here would be someone working for one of the nearby companies like american express or price waterhouse coopers or ernst and young. someone doing a job that pretty much prevents them from having a life outside of work. also, they mention the fedex hub being open and perhaps if they, or someone else rents some office space in the building, some of the peole who work there might consider living in the same building as well.

otherwise, why live here?

I just don't see it getting built, not as a tall tower. Although they have an excuse, the delays are just a sign of that the project will have a tough time getting off the ground.

Actually the delay have nothing to do with the difficulty of getting the project of the ground. Because the developer is using different material to build it, it will take more time. Origionally the building was intended to be just an office building but when you start adding stuff like residential, aquariums, resaurants and an IMAX theater it takes more time.

the only people i can picture living here would be someone working for one of the nearby companies like american express or price waterhouse coopers or ernst and young. someone doing a job that pretty much prevents them from having a life outside of work. also, they mention the fedex hub being open and perhaps if they, or someone else rents some office space in the building, some of the peole who work there might consider living in the same building as well.

otherwise, why live here?

I agree, the building wont be for everyone but people working near the airport who like the urban appeal of the building will live there.

Actually the delay have nothing to do with the difficulty of getting the project of the ground. Because the developer is using different material to build it, it will take more time. Origionally the building was intended to be just an office building but when you start adding stuff like residential, aquariums, resaurants and an IMAX theater it takes more time.

I agree, the building wont be for everyone but people working near the airport who like the urban appeal of the building will live there.

The problem is that as it's designed, there is no urban appeal. A tall building doesn't constitute urbanity by default. Urbanity requires density, streets, sidewalks, etc. As proposed, this building will exist in a sea of parking.

If the tower were completed today, I would be have a negative view of it because it's just not the best location as of today. A lot could happen between now and 2009. The mere proposal for this tower may change things in that area. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that we don't know what's going to happen, since all of the pictures we see are proposals anyway - we can't assume that the tower is doomed quite yet. By that time also, we will be well into 2 years with a freeway "loop" around PTI with the completion of 840 on the east and the Bryan Blvd. relocation to the north. I'm certain the area could sustain additional economic, residential, and retail growth and I'm anxious to see how the next 2 years play out.

There is no urban appeal to the building because there is nothing urban about this building. When you walk outside of the tower, you will be in a parking lot. No cool restaurants or bars to go to. No attractive public plazas or squares. No local grocery. No indie video store. No gathering spaces for people, which might attract you as people seek to be around other people. No used bookstores, cafes, or other interesting places with local color. No walking environment.

The whole point of building a skyscraper in the city is to provide access to MANY, MANY people to the land around the skyscraper that has many activities and commerce opportunities. You make certain sacrifices in your living environment to live in a skyscraper. In return, you get the benefit of all the community amenities just outside your door below. The land Triad Tower will sit on has none of those things adjacent to it that necessitate such a building.

Even the most hardcore aquarium enthsiasts will visit one aquarium maybe 4 times a year. IMAX movies? Great, but again, they're not going to sustain your interest long. How many times can you eat at the same restaurant? How unnatural is it to experience all this stuff within one structure you never leave?

The bottom line is that residences in this building will be expensive, because skyscraper construction is expensive. If you're going to buy one of these places, you're going to have to be really rich and obsessed with aquariums and IMAX films, because otherwise, you don't get the urban amenity package in this building. The people developing Triad Tower don't know what they're selling, and they will be surprised when they have trouble pre-selling the residential, and they will convert it to office space.

This 2-story building is far more urban than the Triad Tower.

I agree but a tower is better than no tower at all. But I do prefer this building to be downtown.

Functionably, I consider this tower an office park. It happens to be a very tall, thin office park, but it will come with all the same plusses and minuses such a development would. A 'tower' is only as good as its context. That context doesn't have to be other towers, but something other than parking lots at least.

Functionably, I consider this tower an office park. It happens to be a very tall, thin office park, but it will come with all the same plusses and minuses such a development would. A 'tower' is only as good as its context. That context doesn't have to be other towers, but something other than parking lots at least.

Actually whats wrong with it being like an office park? Everywhere in the city cant be like our downtowns. I dont really see the negative here. If this where a lowrise structure, we wouldnt be hearing the negative talk about the project. This is a good project because it mixed-use, something we hardly see near the outskirts of town. This project has been compared to an office park, but how many office parks have condos, restaurants or IMAX theaters?

There is no urban appeal to the building because there is nothing urban about this building. When you walk outside of the tower, you will be in a parking lot. No cool restaurants or bars to go to. No attractive public plazas or squares. No local grocery. No indie video store. No gathering spaces for people, which might attract you as people seek to be around other people. No used bookstores, cafes, or other interesting places with local color. No walking environment.

The whole point of building a skyscraper in the city is to provide access to MANY, MANY people to the land around the skyscraper that has many activities and commerce opportunities. You make certain sacrifices in your living environment to live in a skyscraper. In return, you get the benefit of all the community amenities just outside your door below. The land Triad Tower will sit on has none of those things adjacent to it that necessitate such a building.

Even the most hardcore aquarium enthsiasts will visit one aquarium maybe 4 times a year. IMAX movies? Great, but again, they're not going to sustain your interest long. How many times can you eat at the same restaurant? How unnatural is it to experience all this stuff within one structure you never leave?

The bottom line is that residences in this building will be expensive, because skyscraper construction is expensive. If you're going to buy one of these places, you're going to have to be really rich and obsessed with aquariums and IMAX films, because otherwise, you don't get the urban amenity package in this building. The people developing Triad Tower don't know what they're selling, and they will be surprised when they have trouble pre-selling the residential, and they will convert it to office space.

This 2-story building is far more urban than the Triad Tower.

Good points, it would indeed be awkward to live next to a noisy airport, noise dampening is only going to do so much, and your locale once you step outside of the building being parking lot, the interstate, 68, which is mostly a fast food drag, or the access roads. Nothing at all to walk to, and quite dangerous to bike anywhere in that area with divided highways, on/off ramps and again the interstate. No nearby parks, or recreation that I know of other than a driving range 3 miles down 68. As to the Theater and Aquarium, as transitman said, how many times can you posssibly make use of these attractions as a resident? And it's kind of unnatural to drive to the airport for these things. Expensive and just plain obtuse in my opinion.

Maybe if WS and GSO were larger and had infilled to the airport to some extent this might make more sense, but even then would be an odd place, usually you don't get a lot of pedestrian/family/community oriented development around airports and/or interstates, and the existing office parks, motels and fast food joints aren't going to allow for much change there. I imagine this would over a short time become a bleak residence even for a young single working person who didn't care for all the family/community/recreationally oriented crap.

As I've said, things may change between now and 2009...... the "HOT" will fill in, FedEx is coming, proposed highway projects will be completed, and developers will take notice - the Hwy 68 corridor will become more than what it is. Honestly, I think 2009 is an early date for these changes, but I don't think the project is completely doomed. The project mentioned that the walls would be noise proof. In general, I don't think the noise would bother homebuyers. Look at New Garden and Fleming Road which are probably closer to the airport than Triad Tower. You also have the heavily populated North Raleigh and Morrisville/Cary near RDU.

Good points, it would indeed be awkward to live next to a noisy airport, noise dampening is only going to do so much, and your locale once you step outside of the building being parking lot, the interstate, 68, which is mostly a fast food drag, or the access roads. Nothing at all to walk to, and quite dangerous to bike anywhere in that area with divided highways, on/off ramps and again the interstate. No nearby parks, or recreation that I know of other than a driving range 3 miles down 68. As to the Theater and Aquarium, as transitman said, how many times can you posssibly make use of these attractions as a resident? And it's kind of unnatural to drive to the airport for these things. Expensive and just plain obtuse in my opinion.

Maybe if WS and GSO were larger and had infilled to the airport to some extent this might make more sense, but even then would be an odd place, usually you don't get a lot of pedestrian/family/community oriented development around airports and/or interstates, and the existing office parks, motels and fast food joints aren't going to allow for much change there. I imagine this would over a short time become a bleak residence even for a young single working person who didn't care for all the family/community/recreationally oriented crap.

Archived