Triad Tower

cityboi

intcvlcphlga

Downtown Triad? That's a ridiculous term for an area consisting of warehouses, highways and budget motels that doesn't even hint at any notion of urbanity which is embedded in the term "downtown."

Actually the term "downtown" has nothing to to with being "urban" except for the fact that traditionally downtowns have a high concentrations of people living in them. And an Urban area simply refers to a city or portion of a city with a high concentration of people, I believe more than 1,500 people must reside within one square mile of an area for it to be considered "urban". There can easily be downtowns in cities that are not considered "urban".

And the term "downtown" simply refers to the commercial center of a city. I'm not 100% sure but I think the term comes from NY and the progression from lower Manhattan to upper Manhattan. The two became downtown and uptown, with the major business hub being downtown.

So one could conclude that a regional area could have a "downtown" if there was a central spot between those cities in which the bulk of the commerce took place. And since a large portion of this city's commerce and some of the largest employers are located in this area I think the area could give downtown Greensboro a solid run for it's money in time.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
intcvlcphlga

Downtown Triad? That's a ridiculous term for an area consisting of warehouses, highways and budget motels that doesn't even hint at any notion of urbanity which is embedded in the term "downtown."

Actually the term "downtown" has nothing to to with being "urban" except for the fact that traditionally downtowns have a high concentrations of people living in them. And an Urban area simply refers to a city or portion of a city with a high concentration of people, I believe more than 1,500 people must reside within one square mile of an area for it to be considered "urban". There can easily be downtowns in cities that are not considered "urban".

And the term "downtown" simply refers to the commercial center of a city. I'm not 100% sure but I think the term comes from NY and the progression from lower Manhattan to upper Manhattan. The two became downtown and uptown, with the major business hub being downtown.

So one could conclude that a regional area could have a "downtown" if there was a central spot between those cities in which the bulk of the commerce took place. And since a large portion of this city's commerce and some of the largest employers are located in this area I think the area could give downtown Greensboro a solid run for it's money in time.

intcvlcphlga

To clarify, I should have said that the traditional understanding of the term "downtown" (or in Charlotte nomenclature "uptown") has been that you are referring to the urban center or core of the town or city whether it's downtown Burlington or downtown Winston-Salem. The area around the airport is more analogous to Wendover/I-40 area than it is to downtown Greensboro.

And , yes, the derivation of the term is denote directionality within Manhattan - eg take the A train downtown.

I know that you were inferring the use in the typical sense of the word but I was hoping to make the point that like many things in Greensboro and in the Triad the traditional sense of the word is many times adapted to fit the actual circumstances. I've only been in Greensboro for 15 years and I'm sure before that time downtown Greensboro was a busy and happening place. But during the 15 years I've been here I would only consider downtown Greensboro a traditional "urban" downtown in the last 5 years or so.

With it's overall location and the amount of activity going on in the proposed "downtown triad" area, or "Heart of the Triad" or Center of High Point, Winston-Salem, Greensboro if your not into the whole brevity thing, it makes perfect sense to add an urban feel to this area. In time this area has potential with projects like Triad Tower and the increase in job opportunities to help not only Greensboro grow but also W/S, HP, and K'ville and this area will really tie these cities together.

• 1 year later...

I wonder how much stock people will still be putting into this concept, though, of creating the "downtown of the Triad." I mean I know things like HOT are still happening etc, but I think that having the center of the triad as a destination isn't as significant as it once was

Triad Tower was a horrible idea from the start! That plot of land would be better used as a cluster of much smaller buildings for companies moving here for the FedEx Hub. Anyone hoping to see a tower built in downtown Greensboro or Winston over the next few years should hope that this NEVER happens!

Archived