Third Ward Project Rumors

metropolitan

Wasn't quite sure where to add this, but I was reading a link from one of today's posts on Trademark from a Center City Living blog:http://www.centercityliving.blogspot.com/2007/08/you-heard-it-here-first.html. I would consider this to be a "pretty reliable" site, and the blogger describes a to-be-announced condo project located at the home plate side of the stadium. That would be along the MLK and Graham intersection, which would be the fenced off area where Porter Paints is or possibly across the street where Jon Silla photo studio is. Anyone know more about this?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't quite sure where to add this, but I was reading a link from one of today's posts on Trademark from a Center City Living blog:http://www.centercityliving.blogspot.com/2007/08/you-heard-it-here-first.html. I would consider this to be a "pretty reliable" site, and the blogger describes a to-be-announced condo project located at the home plate side of the stadium. That would be along the MLK and Graham intersection, which would be the fenced off area where Porter Paints is or possibly across the street where Jon Silla photo studio is. Anyone know more about this?

The talk of Furman going to the block between 3rd, 2nd, Graham and RR was years ago. It was before baseball was proposed, and certainly before Novare and Spectrum announced their projects in the neighborhood. At this point, we don't know if Furman has anything solid planned on that land, but it seems feasible that he does and can now expand it with the newfound excitement in the area.

Still, it is old old news and there has never been any confirmation anywhere.

I do hope that a tower will go up in the gravel lot on the same block as the Duke deck. That has always seemed like a good place for a modest-sized tower (10-15 stories).

The talk of Furman going to the block between 3rd, 2nd, Graham and RR was years ago. It was before baseball was proposed, and certainly before Novare and Spectrum announced their projects in the neighborhood. At this point, we don't know if Furman has anything solid planned on that land, but it seems feasible that he does and can now expand it with the newfound excitement in the area.

Still, it is old old news and there has never been any confirmation anywhere.

I do hope that a tower will go up in the gravel lot on the same block as the Duke deck. That has always seemed like a good place for a modest-sized tower (10-15 stories).

The owner of Peferred Parking told me he recently sold that lot to Wachovia. That is why a number of us felt, and it appears confirmed, that the window-wall was for the Wachovia tower and perhap the former Porter Paint building will be used for sales or otherwise.

Whether Wachovia resold it or not or has plans to co-develop he didn't know.

I believe Furman is looking at the property on the same lot as the Duke Parking Garage, on the southeast corner of MLK Drive and South Graham for a 20 - 30 story highrise, potentially round! The west side of Graham Street will feature low rise, again 6 - 8 story apartments wrapped around parking going right up to the rail tracks. This rental will serve both downtown workforce and Johnson & Wales students. The only other significant piece in the area is the lot between Presto Grill and the Federal Courthouse. Something is in the works for that, but I have not been able to get any inkling of what.

UD

There were two developable parcels remaining on the block that are bordered directly on two sides by that garage (the Duke garage is the Mint St. garage). One was developed as the Residence Inn, and the other hasn't been developed. It is the parcel at the corner of MLK and Graham.

Regarding the rumor of a circular tower...sounds interesting, but I hope they at least square it off until the height of the garage is matched, otherwise it would look a bit awkward.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anybody has heard about this, but I heard from a very reliable source that a prominent developer plans to put a 15-25k sq foot grocery store in 3rd ward. The grocery story would be located in one of the 4 buildings being developed in the novare groups block, likely catalyst.

This would be fantastic! 15-25k leaves only a couple options, and they are good ones. Trader Joes is often around 15-20k, and freshmarket is often 25-30k, I believe these are both very good possibilities. However, I am leaning more towards fresh market because midtown is likely going to get the trader joes

The HT in 4th Ward is 18k sq feet. I was wondering if bloom had the cajones to open up downtown, because that would be a nice addition. Honestly though I am thinking that it will be fresh market moving into the area in 2009.

Archived