Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rardy

Leesville could get 7,000 new jobs

7 posts in this topic

Fort Polk is on the "short" list of 17 military bases in competition for a new brigade that will bring 4,000 troops, 3,000 civilian jobs, and as many as 15,000 new people to the Leesville area. The annual economic impact of Fort Polk would rise from 900 million to 1.3 billion. This would increase the military troops stationed at the base by 50%, up from 8,100 current military servicemen.

Given the ridiculous amount of incentives Louisiana promised to waste on the Thyssen-Krupp steel mill, my question is why haven't we heard more about this yet, and what will the state do to land this incredible opportunity?

Obviously, the state will need to ante up with additional land for base expansion, better roads serving the facility, schools to house the students, and subsidies for housing developments.

A decision is expected in November.

Article here>>

Thanks for bringing this up Rardy, you are right! This state needs to take better advantage of this opportunity! This is BIG!

Sorry for the late reply.

Here's a step in the right direction!

A coalition representing Vernon, Beauregard, and Rapides Parishes visited members of Congress and U.S. Army Leadership last week, Sept. 25-27 in Washington D.C.

Those in attendance included representatives of CLECO; ERA Sarver Real Estate; Picerne Military Housing; the Vernon Parish Police Jury; the England Authority; Northwestern State University, Leesville-Fort Polk Campus; the Vernon Parish School Board; the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce; Elton Pody, President of the Central Louisiana Chamber of Commerce and Leesville Mayor Betty Westerchil.

They traveled to the Capital to make known the desire of the region and the community surrounding Fort Polk, to have more troops located here.

The main areas addressed involved the future development of Fort Polk and the region included military training space, quality of life for families (schools, housing, youth sports, and employment for spouses), completing the four lane expansion project of Hwy. 28 to Alexandria.

Attendees received a briefing on the Army goals and initiatives from a senior representative of the Secretary of the Army's staff. Also present for the briefing was Maj. Gen. Hunt Downer of the Louisiana Army National Guard. The briefing included a group discussion about using the economic engine of Fort Polk to leverage the growth of Fort Polk and all of the Central Louisiana Region. The group discussed the need for the delegation to work closely with the State of Louisiana to accomplish this goal.

This, plus Cyber Command, plus Camp Minden... these are going to be some really big military projects for this state if we land them all. Camp Minden is pretty much a certainty, as is Cyber Command, so if Fort Polk can land this deal it will be excellent. Job-wise this Fort Polk thing is almost as large as what is expected for Cyber Command.

Have any of the gubernatorial candidates touched on this issue in these debates? I heard them discussing Cyber Command last night, and I will be completely honest with you... Bobby Jindal's response was clearly the most educated. I admit I am biased in favor of Jindal, but I was so extremely impressed by his performance in the debate last night at LSU-S.

Well...actually...Jindal is the only one of Louisiana's Washington delegation that didn't bother to show up to discuss this with the coalition. Alexander, Landrieu, et. al all showed up. Jindal sent his chief of staff <_<