Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

On 9/21/2017 at 11:32 PM, Antrell Williams said:

For a distribution center? There are IT departments all around in every city. I can't imagine they would have any higher salary positions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Amazon's distribution center still requires more high-skilled labor than what we have here.

Amazon's distribution center still requires more high-skilled labor than what we have here.
I'm not sure I can agree. We have enough logistics personnel, engineers, and whatever IT people they may need with the plants, port, and distribution centers we have here.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeed Dan326!   October Harvest Moon's always seem prettier for some reason...maybe it's the extra dry-air??  Early this morning it was spectacular very low to the west btwn the trees...looked HUGE! :o

Will have to keep an eye in the Gulf of Mexico this weekend...Tropical Storm Nate(down in NW Caribbean) forecast to become a Hurricane possibly making landfall in SE LA....Only good news; he will be racing thru quickly. Hopefully BR & NOLA stay on the weaker-west quadrant & not the Dirty NE Quadrant

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Yes indeed Dan326!   October Harvest Moon's always seem prettier for some reason...maybe it's the extra dry-air??  Early this morning it was spectacular very low to the west btwn the trees...looked HUGE! :o

Will have to keep an eye in the Gulf of Mexico this weekend...Tropical Storm Nate(down in NW Caribbean) forecast to become a Hurricane possibly making landfall in SE LA....Only good news; he will be racing thru quickly. Hopefully BR & NOLA stay on the weaker-west quadrant & not the Dirty NE Quadrant

Yeah, I think it must be the dry, crisp air too.

I saw that. I  tell ya, my nerves get bad every time I see a hurricane coming this way now. I guess all we can do is pray. Hopefully it it does move quickly though.

• Like 1

Yes indeed Dan...can never underestimate the power of prayer :good:

Nate just became a Hurricane with 75mph winds...Racing to the NNW at 22mph

Head's up from Grand Isle to Gulf Shores.....here in BR looks like he will have a minimal impact on Projected track...only had abt a 20% of getting Tropical Storm wind gust

image.thumb.png.5a98a8c2a4536411eca42e01f39a99ec.png

Edited by richyb83

On 9/24/2017 at 7:04 PM, mr. bernham said:

I don't think I agree with that.   We have among the best industrial engineering labor set in the region, so designing and running it wouldn't be an issue.  

Amazon's corporate HQ's are another story entirely.    If that comes to the south  at all, it's going to Atlanta.    Memphis may have a distant, outside shot but even that is a huge stretch.   

On 9/25/2017 at 9:53 AM, Antrell Williams said:

I'm not sure I can agree. We have enough logistics personnel, engineers, and whatever IT people they may need with the plants, port, and distribution centers we have here.

You are correct.   When it comes to industrial and distribution facilities, Baton Rouge and New Orleans are very competitive.     We need less retail space and more warehousing space as it is.   Cortana Mall site would be ideal for a distribution park - and it's one of the few areas in the city that is affordable and has access to several major highways.

There is a huge advantage to being on the Mississippi River for bulk cargo too....but unfortunately we are at a disadvantage for road and air based freight like Amazon because our airports and road network sucks.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

This fits right in...while the Metroplex in the 4th Largest .....Houston is 5th.  Almost gawk when i drive to those places saying "How can a place get so BIG":blink:??

This is part of the reason i always say "Texas is  like a Giant Vacuum's going over Louisiana"...

https://www.businessreport.com/politics/tops-louisiana-jr-ball

The ‘T’ in TOPS stands for Texas

In sporting parlance, Louisiana colleges have become a Triple-A farm club for Texas companies.

Should taxpayers be doling out largesse to students who bolt the state the minute their subsidized education is complete? Who cares if our kinda-best and sorta-brightest get a college degree in Louisiana if their employment eyes are upon Texas?

Edited by richyb83

On 10/12/2017 at 7:47 AM, all2neat said:

DFW is definitely pushing for HQ2. The only low marks here is the public transportation.

50,000 new employees and their families.....they'll gladly spend $500-$600 million expanding DART to whatever site Amazon goes to.  

My money is on Boston or NYC.   Atlanta and Chicago are second tier options.    My outside shots are Pittsburgh, Detroit, or Washington DC.

11 hours ago, richyb83 said:

This fits right in...while the Metroplex in the 4th Largest .....Houston is 5th.  Almost gawk when i drive to those places saying "How can a place get so BIG":blink:??

This is part of the reason i always say "Texas is  like a Giant Vacuum's going over Louisiana"...

https://www.businessreport.com/politics/tops-louisiana-jr-ball

Even if Louisiana did everything right (and it doesn't), it would still be very difficult with Houston and Dallas being so close.    

13 minutes ago, dan326 said:

In a way this article is sort of what illustrates what's wrong with our state. The mentality of this article and the general populous is if I don't get a personal quantifiable benefit from it I don't want it to exist.

There's definitely that.   The mayor of Baton Rouge torpedoed the effort to obtain federal funds to start the street car route on Nicholson because it didn't serve the neighborhoods she cares about.    That's the kind of attitude that is incredibly destructive to the area.    

There's also massive distrust in government - which IMO is justified for all to many examples like the above.

Committee recommends HNTB for $450K contract to design passenger rail stations

https://www.businessreport.com/article/committee-recommends-hntb-450k-contract-design-passenger-rail-stations

A selection committee that evaluated proposals for a rail station master plan is recommending the East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority—the agency spearheading the planning process—award the roughly $450,000 contract to engineering firm HNTB.

The RDA board of commissioners will vote on the committee’s recommendation at its meeting Thursday.

HNTB was one of four firms that responded to the RDA’s Request for Proposals to design a rail station master plan for a proposed passenger train that would connect Baton Rouge to New Orleans. The controversial rail project, which has been in the works for years, is seen by some as a pipe dream but by others as a progressive solution to the area’s transportation infrastructure woes and a catalyst for economic development.

Though the proposed rail still has significant hurdles to overcome, Baton Rouge is moving forward with planning for it, largely as a result of efforts of the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, which has been pushing for the project.

HNTB, assuming it is approved for the contract by the RDA board next week, will be asked to identify sites for two rail stations—one downtown, one in the area of the Baton Rouge Health District—as well as to design those stations, identify potential funding sources for capital costs and address other logistical and technical issues.

On 10/13/2017 at 7:22 AM, cajun said:

50,000 new employees and their families.....they'll gladly spend $500-$600 million expanding DART to whatever site Amazon goes to.  

My money is on Boston or NYC.   Atlanta and Chicago are second tier options.    My outside shots are Pittsburgh, Detroit, or Washington DC.

Even if Louisiana did everything right (and it doesn't), it would still be very difficult with Houston and Dallas being so close.    

My money is on Denver, Boston, or NYC. Pittsburgh, Atlanta, or Chicago are my second tier. 

Yeah that's what i was thinking.....Seattle & Boston/or Atlanta would have each coast covered :thumbsup:

Pardon me Antrell...but how long have you been in Uptown NOLA?? Just now noticing it under your name.... How do you like it? Weren't you originally in Ascension Parish when you first joined UP?

Yeah that's what i was thinking.....Seattle & Boston/or Atlanta would have each coast covered [emoji106]

Pardon me Antrell...but how long have you been in Uptown NOLA?? Just now noticing it under your name.... How do you like it? Weren't you originally in Ascension Parish when you first joined UP?
Damn Richy I've been here since January haha. I absolutely love it, New Orleans is my favorite city. I live in Central City but I'm close enough to the Garden District to tell women I live there. Lol

Honestly I would never leave if there was more economic mobility. Definitely gonna miss it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

:oLOL Antrell... I made you say the "D" word!!    My head was spinning that day!  Too much work + on antibiotics & too much Football site's ...didn't realize it had been that long. Time flies....  Glad to hear you enjoy it! But understand why you need to move on too...

Seems like almost 1/2 our Active Posters do not currently  reside in BR.    As much negative is going on in BR(i'm frustrated too) ...It's good to still see y'alls  continuing interest in BR...It says something positive  for the area :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

Ha ha!    Yes indeed!   The Saints 4 Game Winning Streak has been nice! Gotta keep everybody healthy!  & the  Adrian Peterson situation was interesting too!

After being left for dead after the embarrassing/lackadaisical  loss to Troy in Tiger Stadium...LSU has Bounced Back w 3 SEC Wins in a Row! Got the Week off... UP NEXT...#1 Bama in Tuscaloosa :shades:

I think keeping z28 healthy is the most important thing. It seems we have depth in most defensive positions but Ingram turns into Trent Richardson when he doesn't have a complementary back.

Mmm our boys will need that rest for sure. I'm just happy coach O has his dream job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Saints seemed to have found their complimentary back in Rookie Alvin Kamara(Tennessee) ; who is an excellent Receiver. Something Peterson was not &  didn't really fit Coach Payton's system...so they Traded Peterson away to the Cardinals; who at age 32 still has enough left in the tank.

Yes indeed they did...Rooting for Coach O too:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

I think keeping z28 healthy is the most important thing. It seems we have depth in most defensive positions but Ingram turns into Trent Richardson when he doesn't have a complementary back.

Mmm our boys will need that rest for sure. I'm just happy coach O has his dream job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk