Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

Cool BR History Video...Cool old pics of Third Street & old Paramount Theatre

Mostly BR & surrounding area;  The Airline Hwy @ Florida Street Traffic Circle aka Roundabout (4:31)  I- 10 Bridge Construction (4:41)...after 7 mins mostly just food

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The reason we can't have nice things...

Stolen from downtown: 400-pound bronze human … statue

STEPHANIE RIEGEL
AUGUST 9, 2018

In a city grappling with a crime problem, this is one of the more unusual—and brazen—examples of lawlessness: a 400-pound, life-size bronze humanoid statue has been stolen from the downtown levee bench to which it was bolted.

The statue, on loan to the Arts Council of Baton Rouge, was one of 22 pieces that comprised a traveling exhibit. The pieces were installed nearly a year ago in various places along the downtown levee, some sitting, some standing, which is why Arts Council Executive Director Renee Chatelain says the theft was not discovered until recently—even though it is now believed to have occurred sometime between mid-March and mid-April.

“They are spread around and we would monitor them,” Chatelain says. “But we didn’t count them every day.”

The exhibit, originally created for the United Nations Plaza in New York, has traveled around the world and each statue is worth about $60,000. Chatelain says she is heartsick that Baton Rouge would be responsible for losing one to theft, and she is hoping that someone took it as a prank.

Police find 400lb statue stolen from park bench downtown                                                           http://www.wbrz.com/news/police-find-400lb-statue-stolen-from-park-bench-downtown                                                 DkQQRjAU4AA-4j7.jpg

Edited by greg225

• 2 months later...

So has anyone heard any of the conspiracy theories about 5G waves? Like in that first Kingsman movie (aka Illuminati: The Movie)?

80 small cell towers planned in Baton Rouge area could lay foundation for 5G infrastructure

CAITIE BURKES
October 23, 2018

Roughly 80 permits are in the works for AT&T small cell towers throughout East Baton Rouge Parish, says city-parish permitting official David Cobb, a move AT&T officials say will lay the foundation for Baton Rouge to become a “smart city.”

Just a few months ago, local officials told Daily Report the city-parish would likely be slow to upgrade to 5G technology in its infrastructure, even if Mayor Sharon Weston Broome’s revived half-cent roads tax proposalpasses.

But the installation of small cell towers—small antennas fixed to existing structures like traffic signals, buildings, streetlights and poles—could hasten that process for Baton Rouge, offering faster wireless internet speeds and providing more and targeted network capacity for actions like streaming movies and music.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/80-small-cell-towers-planned-baton-rouge-lay-foundation-5g-infrastructure

Edited by dan326

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 3:39 PM, dan326 said:

So has anyone heard any of the conspiracy theories about 5G waves? Like in that first Kingsman movie (aka Illuminati: The Movie)?

80 small cell towers planned in Baton Rouge area could lay foundation for 5G infrastructure

CAITIE BURKES
October 23, 2018

Roughly 80 permits are in the works for AT&T small cell towers throughout East Baton Rouge Parish, says city-parish permitting official David Cobb, a move AT&T officials say will lay the foundation for Baton Rouge to become a “smart city.”

Just a few months ago, local officials told Daily Report the city-parish would likely be slow to upgrade to 5G technology in its infrastructure, even if Mayor Sharon Weston Broome’s revived half-cent roads tax proposalpasses.

But the installation of small cell towers—small antennas fixed to existing structures like traffic signals, buildings, streetlights and poles—could hasten that process for Baton Rouge, offering faster wireless internet speeds and providing more and targeted network capacity for actions like streaming movies and music.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/80-small-cell-towers-planned-baton-rouge-lay-foundation-5g-infrastructure

There are genuine safety risks associated with the cell towers. 5G waves are smaller and carry more information meaning they're more dangerous if you're standing too close.

Also, smart city policies are actually very very helpful for cities and city growth. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some cool new architecture around the area

Was gonna take a pic of this new office building Downtown on North Street eventually... original plan was supposed to be 4 floors; but the other company;   dropped out . So in true BR fashion it was downsized to 3 floors ...still looks nice ; better than the surface parking lot that was there before.

Naturally the Tallest building in the article is not even in BR; but Nashville...high -rise hotel (a bit ugly)

Creative designs of homes, restaurants, offices and social venues capture architectural honors

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/home_garden/article_adf8ac9c-beca-11e9-bfcb-07f9b2312ca3.html

Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors by RHH architects 

image.thumb.png.b481a3f4b967563d9c951a6c54259264.png

Electric Depot Bldg. A.  by DNA Workshop ; on Government street on west edge of Mid City /Downtown East

image.thumb.png.5faa277d661f7f9b453ef624bdf4952e.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, dan326 said:

I don't know if I ever said it but I finally got myself a house, in Baton Rouge.

CONGRATS Dan! That's a HUGE DEAL!    Glad to hear your staying in EBR!  :thumbsup:

Guess could ADD this to this Topic??

Marucci Sports to be acquired for $200 million by Connecticut-based investment company

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_6bde55f0-6208-11ea-819d-13e74968bff2.html

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, richyb83 said:

The LWCC bldg. on Acadian Thruway near I-10 has a new look...smooth gray color replaces the dark brown brick

Always thought a nice Mid-rise Office bldg. this size would have looked good along I-12 East along Interline Ave near Airline Hwy

IMG_1268.thumb.jpg.6f2b4a1b495be05b923b1194709458e3.jpg

Yeah I didn't notice that. I'm not a big fan of the color but atleast it's being kept up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 10:15 PM, dan326 said:

Yeah I didn't notice that. I'm not a big fan of the color but atleast it's being kept up.

Looks like there may be another building coming up near LWCC in the future.   They are the ones that bought those two hotels and that restaurant.    The two hotels have been leveled.   

On 6/19/2020 at 11:43 PM, richyb83 said:

Baton Rouge's MOST Expensive House off Historical Highland Road  is for $ale for only $14 million....10 bathrooms :o

Awe.  It's cute!

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2021 at 4:31 PM, cajun said:

Looks like there may be another building coming up near LWCC in the future.   They are the ones that bought those two hotels and that restaurant.    The two hotels have been leveled.  

Thanks for the head's up!  Wonder what kind of building might be coming up in the future?

• 2 months later...

Sad ...too many restrictions; not everybody is ok w mask 24/7 so they just stay home. 62 years"? Wow.  CDC had always said 6 feet of distancing ; just recently was changed to 3 feet; too little ; too late

Circle Bowl in Baton Rouge closing due to fallout from pandemic

https://www.wbrz.com/news/circle-bowl-in-baton-rouge-closing-due-to-fallout-from-pandemic/

On 1/12/2021 at 11:29 PM, richyb83 said:

Thanks for the head's up!  Wonder what kind of building might be coming up in the future?

My guess is a newer LWCC office building and parking; with maybe another hotel in the mix.   But that's years down the road.

Edited by cajun

On 3/17/2021 at 11:12 AM, cajun said:

My guess is a newer LWCC office building and parking; with maybe another hotel in the mix.   But that's years down the road.

That's cool! Would be cool to see something nice go on that newly open area.

Thought there was a Topic..but guess  it's too far back & archived

Mississippi River cruises coming back to Baton Rouge Tuesday

After an absence of more than a year, Mississippi River cruises are returning and will begin docking again in Baton Rouge this week.

American Cruise Lines is set to stop in Baton Rouge Tuesday with the American Jazz. The ship, which was completed in 2020, left New Orleans Sunday on a seven-night cruise to Memphis. On Saturday, American Queen Steamboat Co. will arrive in the morning with the American Duchess, a paddlewheel riverboat.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_70fde9fe-8b30-11eb-ae76-1ba82fbc72ff.html

How true is this statement?   

"everyone in southern Louisiana works for the oil and gas industry - including the waitress at the local restaurant, the surgeons at the hospital, and the lawyers downtown".   

I feel like this statement is still "mostly" true, which is a sign that the state still needs to diversify its economy.    

Edited by cajun