Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

• 1 month later...

I agree with cajun....BR needs to clean-up...maybe this is a good start! Nice news story last night on WAFB; sad to see how much junk/debris was clogging up Ward's Creek under the Corporate Blvd bridge; that was a nice sized clean-up in itself! I hate all the cigarette butts that are thrown out on the road!

"Turn Baton Rouge Green" clean-up effort organized

The target site is on Corporate Boulevard, under bridges and along roadways. By the looks of what's there, this man, on his first mission to bring out the green, has quite a challenge ahead of him. "The bed frames, the shopping carts, the refrigerators, whatever it is in there," says Damien Hirsch; who lives and works right down the street at the Marriott. "The whole street down here is lined with trash," says Hirsch. He is tired of dodging the litter, literally. "I go running every day, down the bridge right here and as I was going by there's actually a box at the end of the bridge and it's been there for 4 months and I have to run around it," he adds.

He has decided to organize a community bash to remove the trash. "It's a win-win situation for the Marriott, for the city of Baton Rouge, for employees to come out and do something," says Hirsch.

The view from above on the Corporate Boulevard bridge is not all that bad. But if you happen to glance down, your eyes will catch quite a surprise: "We're going to have chipping trucks, chainsaws, there's a lot of debris," says Hirsch. Some of it, he says, is hurricane-damaged trees. But sprinkled in the branches are pieces of plastic, cups, bottles, even shoes.

http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=10010421

It's really sad/bad when they start to patrol on horseback! <_<

Officers patrol Boulevard de Province

Officers are hitting the street in force along Boulevard de Province to show residents they are serious about cracking down on crime.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/wbrz/videos/40392997.html

*click on video*

I love it when they are on horseback, segways, and bicycles. Cops are more visible on horseback, and it's easier for them to cross sidewalks, ditches, curbs, and parking lots.

I think this is a good effort by BRPD and Mr. Holden. I wonder why they dropped off patrolling in Mall City? When they stopped, the crime rate went right back up.

When I move to town soon, I'll be a big anti-crime, pro-police advocate. More funding, better pay, and more cops are needed.

Didn't know about the problems along blvd de province.

Some of the Apartment complexes are a problem, but the neighborhood itself and the surrounding area is fine.

Those massive complexes really can turn into a problem as they age and get neglected, since they are more difficult to patrol and house a large number of people. There's a handful of them along Blvd de Province.

I agree with cajun....BR needs to clean-up...maybe this is a good start! Nice news story last night on WAFB; sad to see how much junk/debris was clogging up Ward's Creek under the Corporate Blvd bridge; that was a nice sized clean-up in itself! I hate all the cigarette butts that are thrown out on the road!

Baton Rouge has a fairly large parish Jail, and the trustees love leaving it for a while. I think the city needs to contract the Sheriff's department more often to constantly be cleaning up along the streets of Baton Rouge.

I'd rather see criminals doing good for the community instead of just sitting in jail...maybe they can start cleaning up the streets, sidewalks, medians, and even the parks as well as landscaping/maintenance.

And our residents and business owners need to take care of their own property a little more...and that should also include more awareness (state wide) with littering and dumping.

Edited by cajun

• 3 months later...

Hmm...actors?? Yeah right :rolleyes: Man...is Mayor Holden ticked about this! But these scenes are common from Valley Park; Dixie; Brookstown; Zion City; OSBR, Scotlandville, etc...they even have a POLL on the 2TheAdvocate website..is this an accurate portrayal of BR gangs?? Or is it exaggerated?? Summer time always seems bad..all the killings lately have been reason for alarm!

Sales spike for

That Video is a mess and a total embarrassment. Actors my A**. Sadly, they are proud of that lifestyle. The police will not be able to clean it up if they don't have the help of the residents of the neighborhoods directly affected. If the residents would call and report the drug deals, prostitution and shootings that take place right outside their doors, the police patrols in the area would be enough to curb 1/3 of what is happening.

That Video is a mess and a total embarrassment. Actors my A**. Sadly, they are proud of that lifestyle. The police will not be able to clean it up if they don't have the help of the residents of the neighborhoods directly affected. If the residents would call and report the drug deals, prostitution and shootings that take place right outside their doors, the police patrols in the area would be enough to curb 1/3 of what is happening.

the reason why they won't is...u gotta remember... In Lousiana and most of the southern states half of the people who stay in your neighborhood or more than likely your cousins are related to you somewhere down the line....Scotlandville,South Baton Rouge, Brookstown, Easy Town, Thoes are some of your older neighborhoods...and and family ties run strong in thoes areas...so thats like saying your hanging out in the streets doin bad things... well your cousin 4 houses down knows your doin what you do...90% chance they wont tell on u....they might get u help or try to get u to stop...but its rare if they turn u in

Edited by yis2003yis

the reason why they won't is...u gotta remember... In Lousiana and most of the southern states half of the people who stay in your neighborhood or more than likely your cousins are related to you somewhere down the line....Scotlandville,South Baton Rouge, Brookstown, Easy Town, Thoes are some of your older neighborhoods...and and family ties run strong in thoes areas...so thats like saying your hanging out in the streets doin bad things... well your cousin 4 houses down knows your doin what you do...90% chance they wont tell on u....they might get u help or try to get u to stop...but its rare if they turn u in

No offense to you personally, but that's the most bullcrap excuse that I've heard regarding crime.

I've had cousins who've done stupid things before and they get turned in by their parents, of all people.

By not calling the police when you hear gunshots, when your neighbors are selling drugs, when you know your co-worker is stealing...you are in fact accepting and condoning crime and are just part of the problem. This is too prevalent in the black neighborhoods in this country, and it needs to stop...because it's killing this town.

So if you are firing AK rounds in the air and your cousin down the street knows it, then he/she might as well have been out there shooting themselves. Someone has to call the cops. They can't be everywhere all the time.

Edited by cajun

No offense to you personally, but that's the most bullcrap excuse that I've heard regarding crime.

I've had cousins who've done stupid things before and they get turned in by their parents, of all people.

By not calling the police when you hear gunshots, when your neighbors are selling drugs, when you know your co-worker is stealing...you are in fact accepting and condoning crime and are just part of the problem. This is too prevalent in the black neighborhoods in this country, and it needs to stop...because it's killing this town.

So if you are firing AK rounds in the air and your cousin down the street knows it, then he/she might as well have been out there shooting themselves. Someone has to call the cops. They can't be everywhere all the time.

1st ...its not an excuse...thats the way it really is...thats not somethin i just assumed ...to make an excuse....No matter if its right or wrong thats whats going on...Its a code in the streets...and That is the problem... i grew up in the heart of Scotlandville been there half of my life...I actually Know some of the kids in the Banks & Scotlandville part of that DVD ....But back to my point....Ur going to have a few people Step up BUT..Not everyone will..The streets have been the streets since wayyyyyyy back...and they havent changed in all this time...The street Code is still there....YES I THINK THE THINGS THAT ARE GOING ON ARE STUPID....I do expect it to get better...but i dought it will change %100

And the reason i know much about it...is because i use to be in the streets real hard..From the Avenues in the field to Elm Grove...U wont really understand whats Really going on unless you,ve Been there

how bout u go door to door in one of the neighborhoods...and ask if they know anybody in that dvd or just on the strets doing bad period...Ask them if they would be willing to help u get the bad apples off the streets...10% might say yes but the other 90% is going to say no or look at u crazy .

And u have to watch who you ask because if you ask the wrong person it could be bad news for you...The police and News channels have been trying for years...its not as easy as it sounds.....BUT...Last thing..THE Media makes a big deal out of things like that in BR...Yes its rough..but atleast we are not in LA where Gang Banging is a Bigger problem...How would u like it if u got shot for wearing the wrong color in BR? No matter who you are

New Orleans Exposed was by far 5x on a whole different level from this...the media stations out there didnt go crazy...OURS just used this because they have nothing else Intresting to put out..Why make the city Stress more??..Let the police do what they are getting paid to do..The Video was Entertainment for the people who's heads will not leave out the hood..And it dropped at a bad time..NONE of the 46 murders had anything to do with that Dvd...see how the media spins it??

When have u ever drove down a bad street and seen people really standing outside with that many guns????

NEVER...they pulled them out for that camera and after that put em back up..

Im not going to say the name of any streets but it's a few that are out in the open where most of the houses have illegal drugs and they sell out in the open...Why are they still out there???

because some officers are paid off....so how do u expect to clean the streets when we have a bunch of dirty cops.?

It starts with leadership 1st...and the police are supposed to do the right thing ...and maybe we can get a few more followers

A stronger Police force will not change a thing.

As you said yis2003yis, there is a code on the street that condones this behavior. Until people step up and realize they have no future with this life style, and that they are only hurting themselves, family, and community, nothing will ever change. I also find it hard that people living that lifestyle will ever realize that, they think they are um "cool."

Its not the governments responsibility to teach virtue, its the families of these neighborhoods....

Wow, this has turned into quite a heated discussion. When I first heard about this moive from a firrend she told me they were shooting, doing drugs, and having sex on camera. While my friend does have a history of making things up purposely just for the fun of it, I'm sure what she said mirrored some sensationalist stories city residents and the media where putting out.

While I understand this is serious and am not trying to make up excuses for the real criminals, what I want to know is why people are freaking out SO much. In a way I'm kind of suprised at the people who find it suprising that people enjoy this as a form of entertainment. If it would have been some white people in a studio movie, on a horribly offensive channel like HBO, or even a homemade movie on Youtube people probably wouldn't have been as disturbed, but as soon as they see a black face they think it means big trouble. I think this might be a case of look in th mirror before you judge other too harshly.

Edited by dan326

Lol, I know of a few places that would go out of business because they fired all there employees.

and me personally .....I mind my own business and stay out of it...i let the proper authorities take care of it on their own... they will get caught sooner or later.

The reason i stay out of it is.....Well u have to think 1st...they haven't harmed you personally...so if u go and snoop in their business....you have to think about your life ...and family...do u really wanna spend the rest of your life hiding ? Not being able to go anywhere...no family or friend events...no public events....so u being the good guy can also end your life and put your whole family in danger..

Edited by yis2003yis

While I understand this is serious and am not trying to make up excuses for the real criminals, what I want to know is why people are freaking out SO much. In a way I'm kind of suprised at the people who find it suprising that people enjoy this as a form of entertainment. If it would have been some white people in a studio movie, on a horribly offensive channel like HBO, or even a homemade movie on Youtube people probably wouldn't have been as disturbed, but as soon as they see a black face they think it means big trouble. I think this might be a case of look in th mirror before you judge other too harshly.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it was the automatic weapons that caused the media frenzy, not the color of the faces involved. But I suppose it's your right to play that card if you want...though it's definitely not original in any way.

and me personally .....I mind my own business and stay out of it...i let the proper authorities take care of it on their own... they will get caught sooner or later.

The reason i stay out of it is.....Well u have to think 1st...they haven't harmed you personally...so if u go and snoop in their business....you have to think about your life ...and family...do u really wanna spend the rest of your life hiding ? Not being able to go anywhere...no family or friend events...no public events....so u being the good guy can also end your life and put your whole family in danger..

When I was about 11 yeas old, one of our neighbors in southeast Texas ran a meth lab. If it weren't for the caring neighbors, not much would have been done about it by the police. I know it's not the exact same situation....but your options are still the same: fight or flight. Staying there and doing nothing isn't exactly the smartest move if you have children or families to worry about.

And if you think the police are part of the problem, then use the media! I have to give Baton Rouge's networks credit...they are pretty good bullcrap monitors most of the time.

BTW, weren't you the one who said that you lived off O'Neal?

Edited by cajun

When I was about 11 yeas old, one of our neighbors in southeast Texas ran a meth lab. If it weren't for the caring neighbors, not much would have been done about it by the police. I know it's not the exact same situation....but your options are still the same: fight or flight. Staying there and doing nothing isn't exactly the smartest move if you have children or families to worry about.

And if you think the police are part of the problem, then use the media! I have to give Baton Rouge's networks credit...they are pretty good bullcrap monitors most of the time.

BTW, weren't you the one who said that you lived off O'Neal?

yep ...i been out here for just about a year now...But what does that change??? i wasnt born or raised on o neal...ive never been to o neal ln untill i got a car and had a G/F who stayed out here...but even nice o neal ln. has its rough spots...Back here where i stay St. JEAN apartments..all thoes little town houses around the circle k ...still have a little drama to...so what does that mean?...

Doing nothing is not making the problem better but at the same time I value my life... NO.....im not scared at all !!! but what they do is there business....My family is still in scotlandville so im out there every other day doing things for my mom and grandmother around the house....i catch the little youngsters all the time and tell them they doing wrong...I get Much respect up there...Ive been involved a few events by Mr. Ali. who does a little radio session on Max 94.1 sundays...He always asks me and some of my friends who got our lives together to come and speak to the youth at different churches and buildings...

But what ur talking....You dont understand...Your commenting from a Outside position Looking in....Its easy for u to say because you don't have to worry about that.....point blank if its that easy?? why hasnt it been done already?

the reason i can touch (Some) of the little ones is because they see me trying to really help them....they might not stop right away...but that thought is still in their heads ( That guy actually tried to save me)

example....i work in target...i catch the kids stealing all the time....I Stop them b4 the guards ...I tell them they are risking freedom for something thats only worth 30 bucks...and while ur thinking u have the item in ur pocket all thoes cameras work real well and they can see close enough to read a id card in your hand.....so they are watching...just put it back and think about the consequences b4 u try it again.....just by telling em that...it helps a little...because its still teaching them right from wrong and they are thankful because i could have let them go to jail...but i Helped them be a better person...Might not work right off but they'll understand later

Before you go just bust up someones operation...it might be best to just talk to them 1st...our parents did it for us... Drug dealers had all that action going on the same spots we played in...our parents went and asked them person to person...could u plz keep that away from the kids...and usually they respected and did it behind doors somewhere else just out of respect...meaing we dont want a war...just looking out for our kids safety....and thats all it takes.....The war will start when u play dirty ball and go behind their backs i promise u....Go ask anybody who's been in the streets ...whats the best option to clean up the area and keep u safe at the same time.....My method....or stright to the police

Edited by yis2003yis

In my opinion, I am going to assume the economy in BR has turned around, not that it ever got that bad. This assumption is made on the fact that there has been more activity recently in our development forum. It went from dead, to being quite busy lately, with a lot more projects that had been on hold, being revived again. Im glad too, UP is more interesting when there is stuff to read! :thumbsup:

That's a good comparison! Have you heard that the Grove has been taken off of hold! :w00t:

In my opinion, I am going to assume the economy in BR has turned around, not that it ever got that bad. This assumption is made on the fact that there has been more activity recently in our development forum. It went from dead, to being quite busy lately, with a lot more projects that had been on hold, being revived again. Im glad too, UP is more interesting when there is stuff to read! :thumbsup:

IDK much about the Grove now that they say they are going back to the drawing boards, but judging from the site they cleared for it.....I think we are looking at a huge development of some kind.

I'm not sure what the market is demanding now....maybe it will be more residential or commercial office instead of retail.

Lol, I know of a few places that would go out of business because they fired all there employees.

I just had a discussion about this with some friends of mine....

In the days of massive corporate fraud, it just seems like decency and honesty are just gone. Everywhere from small retail outlets to giant investment conglomerates has fraud problems these days.

I've been following this Standford mess lately.

Before you go just bust up someones operation...it might be best to just talk to them 1st...our parents did it for us... Drug dealers had all that action going on the same spots we played in...our parents went and asked them person to person...could u plz keep that away from the kids...and usually they respected and did it behind doors somewhere else just out of respect...meaing we dont want a war...just looking out for our kids safety....and thats all it takes.....The war will start when u play dirty ball and go behind their backs i promise u....Go ask anybody who's been in the streets ...whats the best option to clean up the area and keep u safe at the same time.....My method....or stright to the police

I see what you are saying....there was a drug operation across the street (in an older rent home) from a commercial building my dad owned in Louisiana that was seriously affecting his ability to rent his building out. He had to make a big deal about it. The city police were useless because the house was owned and rented out by a cop but when they switched chiefs he was able to get someone to investigate it. I guess not everyone is in that position. Corruption and stupidity in the police is no laughing matter...it's way more common than most people think it is.

And for some reason, I thought you had meant that you were having a problem with an area around O'Neal...which is where we just bought a house. I had never noticed anything like that around.

Edited by cajun

• 1 month later...

http://lowcountryarchitect.blogspot.com/20...ate-museum.html

I found this article yesterday (posted above) and in the short article is an essay by David Cronrath, Dean of the College of Art and Design, and he explains architecture in Louisiana. I want yall to read the article and tell me what your opinion is.

He lost me with "slavishly reproduce the past".

I'm sorry....these are the same guys that thinks they are creative by wrapping a box in glass. I admit to hating most contemporary or modernist designs because most of them don't respect the scale and "texture" of the surrounding neighborhoods. Just because someone hates a design that they consider to be uncreative, or is uncomfortable with the usual problems with contemporary buildings doesn't mean that they are "uncomfortable with the future". That's a personal attack....and it won't change the fact that Louisiana's modernist examples of architecture are mostly watered down knock offs of better buildings that were designed by more qualified people.

There's good contemporary designs out there.....but 90% of them are garbage. I wish I can say more about the Natchitoches situation, but I can say with certainty that the box wrapped in glass that this firm submitted for the downtown Library doesn't push any envelope. Most contemporary museums and libraries lately have a distinctly institutional feel to them, which is neither warm or inviting.....and they are like that because there is no apparent entrance, no roof line, and no design detail. It's not a new idea....it's been done before time and time and time and time and time again. There's uninspiring building designs created by people with poor taste all over this nation.

And I'll bark up another problem with today's designs......I've had the fortune (or bad luck) of working with several architectural firms that were supposed to be the best in their niche. What I came across were incomplete plans, dozens of revisions, and a final product that was rushed through the design phase by young, inexperienced architects that they rarely come together with any sense of quality. Buildings should be designed to retain it's structural and design integrity long after the builder and designer are gone and new design trends show their face. Instead of an ego-driven design process, I'd like our designers to start to take into account what their buildings will do to their surroundings.

If every new building is going to look like this, then this state is going to get really ugly really fast. Until contemporary design proponents recognize that their modernist, bland designs MUST RESPECT their surroundings, I will continue to be a harsh critic. Just because they complete disrespect of the past and have the audacity call their uninspired garbage "modern" doesn't mean they are visionaries. Being pretentious doesn't mean you have any intellect to back it up, and rejecting the notion that a building should have windows, an entrance, and enhance the character of it's surroundings rather than ruin the texture of the neighborhood doesn't automatically mean that they are creative.

European cities can afford to have ego-manics design their buildings...they have established neighborhood fabrics that will not be broken because a tumor is erected next to a cherished 17th century structure. Our cities are newer, and our surroundings are much more fragile since most of our cities have an abundance of aweful buildings designed after the advent of the automobile (how many parking decks are in downtown Baton Rouge now?). Anti-social structures can do much more harm here than in a place like Berlin.

Here come the personal attacks......

Edited by cajun

I agree with the blogger in the article...respect the historical architecture! But geez... it's OK to venture out...the average Baton Rougean is slow to change and seems to be satisfied with the boring/bland status-quo. And some of the same new acadian/french faux paus archecture all over th city is OK; it's played out!

I really dig the new 2-story stone/glass the Republic Finance HQ's in Towne Center off Corporate Blvd...something different and cutting egde. II City Plaza is a great addition to the CBD...just wish it had been at least 5-stories taller. The new State Museum at Capitol Park looks great! I like the Shaw Center for Arts; but my dad hates it!

You can still see BR has the sleepy town syndrome when the tallest residential buildings are the hideous Sr. Living Presbyterian Apts and Kirby Smith Hall.

You make some good points too Cajun....can understand where you are coming from :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

Dang Cajun, tell us what you really think! :lol: Like Richy said, I understand where you're coming from. I guess an example is the One American building, it probably was considered super sleek when it was built, but now it's considered kind of bland and boring. I think people in Louisiana who are inclined towards modern architecture get so excited about any that might be built because there isn't really a lot here.

On a kind of random note, I think the new business center for LSU is a nice example of evolving on the past, being inspired but not copying. It has all the elements fo LSU buildings like red roofing and yellow walls, but in a more sleek form.

Edited by dan326

On a kind of random note, I think the new business center for LSU is a nice example of evolving on the past, being inspired but not copying. It has all the elements fo LSU buildings like red roofing and yellow walls, but in a more sleek form.

That's a pretty good example.

College campuses across the country (not Texas A&M) are often good places to find contemporary design elements used to set off a building, while the general attitude and shape still enhances the character of the school.

Edited by cajun