Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

Anyone see the HBO series "Treme"?

I was a little ticked off with how they portrayed Baton Rouge (and Houston and Atlanta). What frustrates me more is that it was John Goodman's character and storyline that did that.....and he (unlike most Louisiana citizens) has houses in California and Chicago and was in neither Baton Rouge nor New Orleans during Katrina or the immediate aftermath. He doesn't even live there now... He has a huge house in Madisonville, and he's hardly ever there.

I kinda feel like this show is created by people outside of Louisiana and is using the misfortune of New Orleans for artistic gain, which is sick.

Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta...all lifeboats for New Orleans residents during Hurricanes. So many people here have family in New Orleans. I don't think the average New Orleanian feels that way about Baton Rouge past the tougue in cheek rivalry.

Oh well...I'm going to continue to watch, but I'm already a little dissapointed.

So how did they portray Baton Rouge, Houston and Atlanta? (I don't have HBO)

Also, while I was doing research for the school section of the architecture page of P2L, I discovered that, according to the National Register, Baton Rouge has the most historic schools per city with 6. By comparison Shreveport has 5 and New Orleans has 3. My guess is that New Orleans demolished a lot of their old schools for "progress".

Edited by dan326

<BR>So how did they portray Baton Rouge, Houston and Atlanta? (I don't have HBO)
<BR><BR>there are several smaller, subtle remarks in the storyline....but the biggest blow was a several minute segment focused on how badly John Goodman's character's daughter was treated in Baton Rouge for wearing a Tulane tee shirt and how obnoxious the white trash residents and LSU sports fans are and how much she hated it there.&nbsp;&nbsp;They pretty much made Baton Rouge look like a bunch of ghetto superstars and white trash idiots. <BR><BR>It's funny, but my Tulane friends attended LSU after the storm.&nbsp;&nbsp;They had nothing but good things to say about this place or how kind they were treated by LSU and Southern students as well as the local community.&nbsp;&nbsp;One even said that she liked Baton Rouge and ended up enrolling in law school at Southern U and has since found a job at a reputable law firm in town.&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR><BR>My friends and family displaced by Katrina (including Tulane students) were nothing short of greatful and kind to the Baton Rouge community.&nbsp;&nbsp;That's impressive to me considering how their world was turned upside down. Edited by cajun

I have to say that although not everyone in New Orleans feels that way about Baton Rouge, Houston, or Atlanta, MANY people really do talk like that about those cities. What I'm about to say isn't reflective of me but just things I've heard. I constantly hear from people that Baton Rouge is a "cultural wasteland," giant suburb, country town, etc. from New Orleans people. And they generally say the same of Houston or Atlanta. Coming from a city with sidewalks, real street grid, and old history, most New Orleanians do not really relate to those new cities. I once lamented the fact that Baton Rouge had no sidewalks to a friend who grew up in Baton Rouge. He immediately asked me, "they have sidewalks on every street in New Orleans???"

New Orleanians come from a city with no giant highways or chains or gated subdivisions and upon entering a place with "no sense of place," they do not feel comfortable. That is not to say that all New Orleanians hate Baton Rouge. I'm from NOLA and go to LSU and love it (although I do miss home at times).

Anyway, when I watch Treme and whenever they make a character say something bad about Baton Rouge, I agree that that's how a New Orleanian really would say it.

Also, I went to school in Lafayette for a while after Katrina and was treated friendly for the most part. However, whenever I said how I missed my home or I said something about New Orleans, they snapped at me and called me snobby. They were very rude to me if I wanted to talk about New Orleans. Just a little side note.

I read this extremely interesting article today about "Bright Flight."

Article MSNBC

To me this article is the BIGGEST indicator that cities that are going to grow culturally and economically in this next century, are going to be the cities that can provide an infrastructure to accommodate an urban typology. Kip Holden,we dont need a loop, we need mass tranist. Plain and simple.shades.gif

I read this extremely interesting article today about "Bright Flight."

Article MSNBC

To me this article is the BIGGEST indicator that cities that are going to grow culturally and economically in this next century, are going to be the cities that can provide an infrastructure to accommodate an urban typology. Kip Holden,we dont need a loop, we need mass tranist. Plain and simple.shades.gif

I agree with the public transit part....and hopefully you don't mean more buses. Light rail that isn't susceptable to street traffic is what BR needs. A mix of high speed commuter rail that turns into a modern street trolley in the city would be cool. The Bombardier cars that Houston uses could do that.

I like the idea of a new toll bridge in the Brusly/Essen Lane area. If it takes a loop to get that, then I'm for it. IDK if it will solve traffic problems, but I do find it interesting that the suburban parishes are against it now because they'd have to pay to use it. I can't see them supporting commuter rail unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my folks keep complaining we need more burger options here, besides MCd's & BK, we had Fuddruckers on corporate & Red Robin @ the MOLA, does anyone else remember these places. I can't be the only one, back then it was new, now some locals want them, do you think they will ever come back to the city?

Well, I was looking online to find out what Val Kilmer was making in Baton Rouge....and I came across this film:

http://www.imdb.com/...b/vi3744204569/

Funny how they try to depict "Regions" in San Fran....but in case you weren't sure, you can clearly make out "Baton Rouge" in the airport banner, Mississippi River bridge shots, Raising Canes (product placement I'm sure), Cortana Mall, and Tigerland's Fred's bar.

I'm sure the movie was terrible. Did anyone see it?

Also, Anyone know anything about the film Jonah Hex? That looks cool.

Edited by cajun

Well, I was looking online to find out what Val Kilmer was making in Baton Rouge....and I came across this film:

http://www.imdb.com/...b/vi3744204569/

Funny how they try to depict "Regions" in San Fran....but in case you weren't sure, you can clearly make out "Baton Rouge" in the airport banner, Mississippi River bridge shots, Raising Canes (product placement I'm sure), Cortana Mall, and Tigerland's Fred's bar.

I'm sure the movie was terrible. Did anyone see it?

Also, Anyone know anything about the film Jonah Hex? That looks cool.

I think it was because right before they show the BR airport, he says hes "making a trip down south." So from that statement, im assuming the movie actually does take place in br. lol

As for jonah hex, i hear it should be cool. They did a lot of filiming down in nola. I have a friend who was an extra, and even got a small speaking part, but im not sure if it will make the final cut. Ill let yall know!

I think it was because right before they show the BR airport, he says hes "making a trip down south." So from that statement, im assuming the movie actually does take place in br. lol

As for jonah hex, i hear it should be cool. They did a lot of filiming down in nola. I have a friend who was an extra, and even got a small speaking part, but im not sure if it will make the final cut. Ill let yall know!

Yeah...setting is definitely BR and San Fran (not just the film location). Think that Regions shot is in New Orleans, though.

Can't tell where the golf course shots are- but the vegetation looks more BR than No-Cal. When they are talking about "going south"....looks like they are at the old clubhouse at Thompson Creek. In fact, I think I see the creek in the background.

Jonah Hex holds some promise of being an actual good movie. BR gets a lot of bad films. The good ones they make here with a strong cast and plot are not box office hits (All the Kings Men), unfortunately. Maybe Jonah Hex will change that.

Glad your friend got a part. I'd like to see more local actors being hired for these films. It would really help kick start the film business here. New Orleans is perfect for the film industry.

Edited by cajun

Some of my folks keep complaining we need more burger options here, besides MCd's & BK, we had Fuddruckers on corporate & Red Robin @ the MOLA, does anyone else remember these places. I can't be the only one, back then it was new, now some locals want them, do you think they will ever come back to the city?

I remember Fuddruckers and the burgers were good. Not sure why the closed. Don't rmember Red Robin. I thought they were going to open a location in Perkins Rowe.

I do know Five Guys is planning to open to locations in BR this year. One will be in Towne Center. They have some very good burgers.

Man do we miss Fuddrucker's...hard to beat the lemon pepper chicken sandwich! Poor management led to it's demise...

Roul's has some good burgers...Times Grill on Essen has good burgers; not favorites but Brewbachers is good too...Rick's at the corner of Florida & Flannery is a little local joint...

Rick's at the corner of Florida & Flannery is a little local joint...

I was just about to add that. I went there for the first time a few weeks ago. It was so good!

There was another good hamburger with a really juicy, tender patty. I don't remember exactly where, but I know it was from chain, maybe BJ's or Outback.

backyard Burgers is also pretty good for fast food, of course you gotta pay a little more.

Edited by dan326

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice the incredible sunset yesterday? I don't know if it was like that all over town, but in the O'Neal area it was cloudy and during sunset the clouds turned this deep pink color and inturn made everything appear rosey colored, like if you where wearing pink glasses. I thought it was pretty neat! :D

Yeah some of the sunsets recently have been nice! Those dying thunderstorms make for a good variety of colors...yesterday the sky did look like a yellow; pink/orange glow; the purples too! With the Summer Solstice approaching (June 21st)... these longest hours of daylight for the year are special!! Venus is spectacular in the western sky just after night-fall...

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

I rode my bike along the levee from downtown to LSU tonight. I was amazed at how many people were out there. Good to know people are taking advantage of this. When are they supposed to start construction on the extension?

My brother and I went to the 27th floor today, we've been up there many times, but we just stayed for a bit, talked about some $%^&, many people were out walking the levee & riding bikes, it was just a fun day downtown, until the train got stuck on the track, it even backed up, but still I enjoyed every moment of it, how was that bike ride nquint1?

TO BUCKETT:

Hey Buckett, seeing as you've studied architecture I was wondering if you could tell me what architectural style Towne Center is done in, I was thinking Mediterranean Revival/Contemporary? ?

Edited by dan326

My brother and I went to the 27th floor today, we've been up there many times, but we just stayed for a bit, talked about some $%^&, many people were out walking the levee & riding bikes, it was just a fun day downtown, until the train got stuck on the track, it even backed up, but still I enjoyed every moment of it, how was that bike ride nquint1?

It gets a little bumpy once you reach downtown due to the concrete pavers, but it's really nice. It's amazing that Baton Rouge hasn't taken advantage of this. Hopefully the River District will.

I was in New Orleans for New Years. Most fun ever.

BTW, I made minor updates to the Baton Rouge wiki site. I didn't touch the film part because I don't now anything about that industry nor know of publications where I can get reliable information to share.....but it looks like it could use some organization.