Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

I rode my bike along the levee from downtown to LSU tonight. I was amazed at how many people were out there. Good to know people are taking advantage of this. When are they supposed to start construction on the extension?

I love the fact that people are using the levee path for biking, walking and jogging. I enjoy riding the Levee from Florida St. to LSU and back.

Seeing the fireworks from 5 miles away was impressive. Did anyone go to the levee this evening?

I always check out the fireworks form the parking lot of the Claiborne Bldg. Nice view from there. I've also gone to see them from the Bluff at SU's Campus. It is like watching the fireworks with the sound off.

The poll in the Business Report today said, "Would you go to a movie theater in downtown Baton Rouge?" I can't see how a movie theater downtown wouldn't be a big waste of money. Baton Rouge is already over saturated with movie theaters. The only way I could see it working is if they open something unique, and at this point it seems the only thing Baton Rouge is missing is an IMAX/IMAX 3D theater that shows feature films. It would be kind of funny to have two IMAX theaters downtown, but it would definitely draw people to the area who might go elsewhere to watch a movie.

The poll in the Business Report today said, "Would you go to a movie theater in downtown Baton Rouge?" I can't see how a movie theater downtown wouldn't be a big waste of money. Baton Rouge is already over saturated with movie theaters. The only way I could see it working is if they open something unique, and at this point it seems the only thing Baton Rouge is missing is an IMAX/IMAX 3D theater that shows feature films. It would be kind of funny to have two IMAX theaters downtown, but it would definitely draw people to the area who might go elsewhere to watch a movie.

I think a IMAX theater downtown would be a big hit. Especially on the weekends. There's already a lot of buzz down there on Friday and Sat nights. A theater would help to expand it. A theater downtown also gives residents of North Baton Rouge a movie theater closer to home. Sad that you have to travel to Corporate Blvd for a movie.

I sent in that question to Ask The Advocate, so be on the lookout for an answer :thumbsup:

From Ask the Advocate:

“This project will extend the levee bike path from Skip Bertman Drive to Farr Park,” wrote Pete Newkirk, director of the East Baton Rouge Parish Department of Public Works.

“There is a $300,000 local match in addition to $980,000 in federal monies for this project. Plans have been completed; bids were just received by the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development and are presently being reviewed. We anticipate construction on this project to start within the next 60 days.”

^Thanks for the head's up! Had not heard anything about this in a while...all the sudden you ask; you recieve! Starting within 60 days! This is a much needed extension to Farr Park...now if they could also begin on another bike path from University Lake at the Crescent condo's along the Bayou Duplantier watershed all the way to Olympia Park at Perkins & Kenilworth...that would be fantastic! Just cut across LSU campus.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if I ever said anything but the CVS by Bonne Carrre started and is halfway done. I don't mean to be picky but I hope they at least put a terra cotta roof on it to fit in.

POW8310-CVS_t240.JPG

CVS is building a 13,225 square foot store on Florida Boulevard, in front of the Bon Carré business park. This is the 18th Capital Region location for the pharmacy chain. Dooley Constructors is the contractor and Nathan Junius is the architect.

Edited by dan326

Don't know if I ever said anything but the CVS by Bonne Carrre started and is halfway done. I don't mean to be picky but I hope they at least put a terra cotta roof on it to fit in.

I was hoping that the desgin fits in with the center, so far it looks like any new CVS.

Edited by hagetaka

• 3 weeks later...

http://rjwblog.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/anti-gay-baton-rouge-granite-co-in-stone-age/

-From Kevin Serrin, Chairman of the Capitol City Alliance, a Baton Rouge-based organization supporting equality:

I’d like to share with you an unfortunate incident of recent anti-gay discrimination in Baton Rouge. Here are the facts:

• On Saturday, August 8, 2010 a gay couple entered Southern Style Granite (SSG) on Airline Highway (address listed below) in Baton Rouge shopping for a remodeling project.

• One of the owners of SSG, Darren Cifreo, specifically asked the two gentlemen if they were in a relationship with each other. After confirming that they are, Mr. Cifreo told them that SSG does not work with “Your Kind” and told them to leave the showroom

I mean, I'd say im shocked such blatant discrimination is still talking place in 2010, but I am not shocked at all, why, because we live in Baton Rouge. I know I'll make sure this company never ends up on any of our suppliers list, at my firm. What are y'alls thoughts?

Well, actually Buckett, this is The South, compounded by this being Louisiana, compounded by this being Baton Rouge. So you should actual be expecting more. :D

But in all seriousness, they will probably recieve more business because they have "family values". -_-

Edited by dan326

Wow, that's ridiculous. Who even says "your kind"? It's sad that people still act this way. It's straight up racism.

It's not direct racism if you are referring to the quote shared by Buckett. It's technically descrimination towards homosexuals....and that's assuming the quote is accurate.

I'd argue that East Baton Rouge (note: not Livingston) is probably ahead of the curve on racism relative to midwestern and other southern cities that I've had to endure. It's still here, but people seem nicer and more respectful to each other in NOLA, BR, and Acadiana. The Florida parishes are a stark contrast, though..... The worst I've seen was Philly and Cincinnatti.

I only have a few gay friends. They are okay with Baton Rouge...but they live and work in the LSU "bubble". I'm sure that if they lived in north Baton Rouge or in my neighborhood, they'd get odd looks (probably anywhere outside of a few neighborhoods in town would be frustrating for them).

Edited by cajun

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this article was extremely interesting and an indicator of future lifestyle trends. thumbsup.gif

"Selling cars to young adults under 30 is proving to be a real challenge for automakers. Unlike their elders, Generation Yers own fewer cars and don’t drive much. They’re likely to see autos as a source of pollution, not as a sex or status symbol."

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1523/generation-y-giving-cars-a-pass/

• 1 month later...

A teaser trailer has been released for "Battle Los Angeles" !

Some of the scenes in the trailer were filmed a block from my apartment in Spanish Town. They chose to leave the capitol in some of the shots, i suppose because it somewhat resembles Los Angeles city hall, and most people will never know the difference? lol

http://www.sonypictures.com/previews/movies/battlelosangeles/clips/2726/

Wow that was a quick flash of the Capitol! Yep..most probably did not pay enough attention...Hard to believe L.A.'s City Hall was the tallest building for so long before earthquake-tech skyscrapers were built in the 90's...

I remember in this old movie with them using the State Capitol as the Texas Univ Memorial Tower in Austin with the dude shooting people from the top...