Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

That is what it really is. 

These conclusions are less facts and more observations I have made by the people I have met on both sides. The whole topic is mute anyways at this point because I was obviously saying the wrong thing. Baton Rouge is not as blue as I had previously thought, as you all have pointed out it is much more purple. Sorry for creating a huge debate about it, you all obviously know much more then me about this city. 

Personally I do not like Houston. Sure it is a beautiful city with one of the best economic profiles internationally, but I'm not fond of their massive sprawl. I'm more of a Sydney kinda guy. I think that Baton Rouge could do very well development wise with a good 'Sydney styled' mix. Now economically Baton Rouge can certainly follow Houston's example, but I would shy away from Houston's developmental example. 

Well there are big blue areas of the city limits, all in North BR. It's just not a liberal city, even the blue areas.

I've always loved looking at streetviews of Sydney, they do seem to have a near perfect proportion of sub/urban. It's such a beautiful place but that comes with alot more under the covers.

I think Baton Rouge could be a very well mixed metro area of living preferences which work together. But that takes proper leadership and that likely won't happen in this "good ol" state.

Well, I don't think it's entirely fair to compare BR to Houston as it 4 times bigger and a showpiece for the US while BR is just becoming especially notable in LA itself. And of course like anything, there is a sliding scale on attitudes. It think relatively speak and in mixed company, BR city is liberal.

People probably feel more compelled to put up a republican than democratic sign in their yard because for some its less about expressing an opinion and more about getting that little thrill from feeling like they're sticking it to someone.

Edited by dan326

Well, I don't think it's entirely fair to compare BR to Houston as it 4 times bigger and a showpiece for the US while BR is just becoming especially notable in LA itself. And of course like anything, there is a sliding scale on attitudes. It think relatively speak and in mixed company, BR city is liberal.

People probably feel more compelled to put up a republican than democratic sign in their yard because for some its less about expressing an opinion and more about getting that little thrill from feeling like they're sticking it to someone.

Can you expand on Baton Rouge city being liberal?

Well there are big blue areas of the city limits, all in North BR. It's just not a liberal city, even the blue areas.

I've always loved looking at streetviews of Sydney, they do seem to have a near perfect proportion of sub/urban. It's such a beautiful place but that comes with alot more under the covers.

I think Baton Rouge could be a very well mixed metro area of living preferences which work together. But that takes proper leadership and that likely won't happen in this "good ol" state.

I'm in love with Sydney, it is just unbelievably beautiful. 

I have to somewhat agree with you on that last point. This state and city has some of the worst possible leaders, but I think that changes with time. The younger crowds have brought an infectious want to make this city better. That is where success lies, it does not matter if you have the right political leaders because their positions are not permanent, but if you have a population that wants change and has a clear vision of what they want you will get it. 

I would not call Houston a show piece, if it was they would not have been rejected by the USOC three times in a row in recent years. 

Houston is most definitely something we as Americans should be proud of. Not only is it a global city and an economic juggernaut, it also has much more culture than people give it credit for. They just think Houston = sprawl, and do not look beneath the surface. 

Houston has amazing universities, museums, medical facilities, restaurants, infrastructure, diversity, etc. 

Aside form the drawbacks that come with sprawl and traffic, Houston is on point (IMHO)

Edited by garrett_225

Houston is most definitely something we as Americans should be proud of. Not only is it a global city and an economic juggernaut, it also has much more culture than people give it credit for. They just think Houston = sprawl, and do not look beneath the surface. 

Houston has amazing universities, museums, medical facilities, restaurants, infrastructure, diversity, etc. 

Aside form the drawbacks that come with sprawl and traffic, Houston is on point (IMHO)

So if that is peoples impression of the city then why should we take pride in it? The city does not have a good global image and is not seen as a 'Global City'. While it is certainly a top US city, it does not have enough international companies to be considered one. If you don't believe me go look at the hundreds of global city rankings and you will find that Houston does not rank too high.  

A Global city is one like LA, Chicago, or NYC. Houston is not a global city, major city yes, global no. We have this discussion day in and day out on Gamesbids. 

So if that is peoples impression of the city then why should we take pride in it? The city does not have a good global image and is not seen as a 'Global City'. While it is certainly a top US city, it does not have enough international companies to be considered one. If you don't believe me go look at the hundreds of global city rankings and you will find that Houston does not rank too high.  

A Global city is one like LA, Chicago, or NYC. Houston is not a global city, major city yes, global no. We have this discussion day in and day out on Gamesbids. 

If you don't think Houston is a global city, you don't know much about the globe, or Houston. As far as people's perception goes...some people out there have great disdain for Los Angeles because of it's sprawl, yet it doesn't keep you from classifying it as a global city. Maybe some people's perceptions don't matter quite as much as you thought, huh? Take a look at some facts about Houston:

According to some reports, Houston has become more racially and ethnically diverse than the likes of Los Angeles and New York City.

Houston is home to 26 Fortune 500 companies. That number seems to get larger and larger. Houston is second only to New York City in terms of Fortune 500s. While it's true that most of Houston's global presence is tied to the energy sector, consider how many places on this planet can function without energy. Not many.

Houston is the number one city for job creation here in the U.S. and has one of the lowest unemployment rates. When you adjust for cost of living, your paycheck also goes further in Houston than in any other American city. 

Texas Medical Center alone is larger than the downtown areas of many other major U.S. cities. It is home to the largest concentration of healthcare organizations on the planet. This will continue to boost Houston's fortunes as the elderly population grows and people from around the world travel to Houston seeking the most advanced medical treatment the world has to offer.

The Port of Houston (along with Port of South LA) are the only two in the country that come close to being in the global top ten in terms of actual tonnage handled. 

Houston also has more park space than any of the other cities you mention (one of my own personal favorite things about the city).

Maybe take a weekend trip to Houston. Wander around some. Visit the museum district, or the theater district--it's size is surpassed only by the theater district of New York. Learn more about how the city actually operates. Houston may not be a legacy city, but in an increasingly globalized world, that type of distinction becomes more and more meaningless each day. As far as rankings of global cities go, I've seen many different lists...some that look significantly different depending on the research methodology used to compile them and what factors are taken into account. 

Edited by garrett_225

If you don't think Houston is a global city, you don't know much about the globe, or Houston. As far as people's perception goes...some people out there have great disdain for Los Angeles because of it's sprawl, yet it doesn't keep you from classifying it as a global city. Maybe some people's perceptions don't matter quite as much as you thought, huh? Take a look at some facts about Houston:

According to some reports, Houston has become more racially and ethnically diverse than the likes of Los Angeles and New York City.

Houston is home to 26 Fortune 500 companies. That number seems to get larger and larger. Houston is second only to New York City in terms of Fortune 500s. While it's true that most of Houston's global presence is tied to the energy sector, consider how many places on this planet can function without energy. Not many.

Houston is the number one city for job creation here in the U.S. and has one of the lowest unemployment rates. When you adjust for cost of living, your paycheck also goes further in Houston than in any other American city. 

Texas Medical Center alone is larger than the downtown areas of many other major U.S. cities. It is home to the largest concentration of healthcare organizations on the planet. This will continue to boost Houston's fortunes as the elderly population grows and people from around the world travel to Houston seeking the most advanced medical treatment the world has to offer.

The Port of Houston (along with Port of South LA) are the only two in the country that come close to being in the global top ten in terms of actual tonnage handled. 

Houston also has more park space than any of the other cities you mention (one of my own personal favorite things about the city).

Maybe take a weekend trip to Houston. Wander around some. Visit the museum district, or the theater district--it's size is surpassed only by the theater district of New York. Learn more about how the city actually operates. Houston may not be a legacy city, but in an increasingly globalized world, that type of distinction becomes more and more meaningless each day. As far as rankings of global cities go, I've seen many different lists...some that look significantly different depending on the research methodology used to compile them and what factors are taken into account. 

I would like to give a lengthy response as a post this detailed and well written deserves one, my wifi is weak. When I have better wifi I would love to further converse this subject with you. 

If you think Houston is comparable to Los Angeles or Chicago, you don't know much about the world or what makes a city a global one. Even though people may hate Los Angeles sprawl that does not take away the fact that it is the global capital for entertainment. Global image also greatly effects peoples opinion on a city, and I can assure you that Houston does not have a good one. But for the hell of it lets look at some simple facts:

Houston has only become racially diverse because of illegal immigration and Hurricane Katrina. Granted, none of these events are their fault it is the reality. 

How many international ones is it home to? Global Cities are defined not just on how many fortune 500 companies it has, it is also defined on how many International companies call the city home. You are right, Houston is tied to the energy sector and in order to become a truly global city its economic ties must diversify.

Does not make it a global city, it just makes it a good city. On the terms of employing it shows that Houston is becoming a global city.

The Medical Center is definitely a strong point of the city, and like I said above it is helping Houston become a global city.

I agree with this, and once again: it is helping it become a global city.

While all of those things are great, Houston needs to market itself as modern cultural center. It has the chops to do it, now it just needs to actually do it. 

In short Houston has the ability to become a top global city, but it is the idea that it is already there that is hurting it. Houston needs to market a positive image that showcases all the fantastic things the city has to offer the world.  

Mr Bernham are you suggesting there's no sprawl in Sydney? I'd think otherwise--it's perhaps comparable to Houston.

No, I am suggesting that Sydney has a fantastic balance of it compared to Houston. 

• Like 1

Dallas seems more "cosmopolitan". It's not a "scientific" indicator but Houston doesn't have a Grand Hyatt or Ritz Carlton.

Only because Houston does not have too many tourist. That goes hand in hand with their image, the image of Houston is not a positive one which discourages people from going there. 

If you think Houston is comparable to Los Angeles or Chicago, you don't know much about the world or what makes a city a global one. Even though people may hate Los Angeles sprawl that does not take away the fact that it is the global capital for entertainment. Global image also greatly effects peoples opinion on a city, and I can assure you that Houston does not have a good one. But for the hell of it lets look at some simple facts:

Houston has only become racially diverse because of illegal immigration and Hurricane Katrina. Granted, none of these events are their fault it is the reality. 

How many international ones is it home to? Global Cities are defined not just on how many fortune 500 companies it has, it is also defined on how many International companies call the city home. You are right, Houston is tied to the energy sector and in order to become a truly global city its economic ties must diversify.

Does not make it a global city, it just makes it a good city. On the terms of employing it shows that Houston is becoming a global city.

The Medical Center is definitely a strong point of the city, and like I said above it is helping Houston become a global city.

I agree with this, and once again: it is helping it become a global city.

While all of those things are great, Houston needs to market itself as modern cultural center. It has the chops to do it, now it just needs to actually do it. 

In short Houston has the ability to become a top global city, but it is the idea that it is already there that is hurting it. Houston needs to market a positive image that showcases all the fantastic things the city has to offer the world.  

Take a look at my location. I'm allowed to draw comparisons between LA and Houston. 

What difference does it make how a city becomes diverse, exactly? The reasons you give are totally inaccurate, particularly with respect to Hurricane Katrina. As far as illegal immigration...are you not aware that Texas was at one time a part of Mexico? People of Latin background were there before whites. 

You'll find the majority of Fortune 500 companies have a global presence. For a little more perspective, seven Houston companies also rank on the Global 500. Many more that don't make the global list do have operations that span the globe. 

Shows Houston is doing more and is becoming more relevant every day while places such as Chicago continue to stagnate. 

The Medical Center...hey, didn't you call for diversification? Not that the economy isn't diversified...a quick trip to wikipedia would debunk that for you...but this goes a long way to prove it. 

Ultra Modern Cultural Center? What is that? Is there one here in LA? I'd love to see it, if so.  :shades:

I appreciate that you recognize Houston as a good city. You didn't seem to think so in some of your previous posts. However, I still think you are falling short of realizing the impact that Houston has on the global level. I would also like to see fewer contradictions in the points you make (E.g. sprawl in Houston = failure vs. sprawl in LA = ultra modern cultural center). Before saying something of Houston, you need to take a moment to consider the state of things in the towns you do acknowledge as global cities. 

To Antrell: Sorry, I'll try to get back on track now. I promise  :thumbsup:

Edited by garrett_225

Take a look at my location. I'm allowed to draw comparisons between LA and Houston. 

What difference does it make how a city becomes diverse, exactly? The reasons you give are totally inaccurate, particularly with respect to Hurricane Katrina. As far as illegal immigration...are you not aware that Texas was at one time a part of Mexico? People of Latin background were there before whites. 

You'll find the majority of Fortune 500 companies have a global presence. For a little more perspective, seven Houston companies also rank on the Global 500. Many more that don't make the global list do have operations that span the globe. 

Shows Houston is doing more and is becoming more relevant every day while places such as Chicago continue to stagnate. 

The Medical Center...hey, didn't you call for diversification? Not that the economy isn't diversified...a quick trip to wikipedia would debunk that for you...but this goes a long way to prove it. 

Ultra Modern Cultural Center? What is that? Is there one here in LA? I'd love to see it, if so.  :shades:

I appreciate that you recognize Houston as a good city. You didn't seem to think so in some of your previous posts. However, I still think you are falling short of realizing the impact that Houston has on the global level. I would also like to see fewer contradictions in the points you make (E.g. sprawl in Houston = failure vs. sprawl in LA = ultra modern cultural center). Before saying something of Houston, you need to take a moment to consider the state of things in the towns you do acknowledge as global cities. 

To Antrell: Sorry, I'll try to get back on track now. I promise  :thumbsup:

I never said that LA was an 'Ultra Modern Cultural Center', I said that LA is a global cultural center/hub. Houston does not market the fact that it is also somewhat a cultural hub. 

Getting back on track now...

Edited by mr. bernham

• 5 months later...

I watched New Orleans NCIS and was wondering what y'all thought the guy with the heavy accent sounded like. To me he sounded like someone from Alabama.

Edit: I just googled it, the actor was born in Alabama. I guess they couldn't find a Cajun that could act??

Edited by dan326
  • Like 1

If you think Houston is comparable to Los Angeles or Chicago, you don't know much about....

I'll stop you right there. I've lived in Houston, Burbank, and Dowers Grove at some point in my life. Houston is an amazing city with massive historic global significance just like Chicago or Los Angeles. You may not personally like it, and your own social bubble may not understand it, but any opinion that Houston lacks global significance is not in any way based on reality.

You'll find the majority of Fortune 500 companies have a global presence

Houston is home to more multinationals and Fortune 500 corporations than Los Angeles or Chicago....combined.

However, I still think you are falling short of realizing the impact that Houston has on the global level

One person's abject refusal to recognize reality doesn't change the fact that Houston alone is a huge economy with massive global importance.

That, in many ways, is what Baton Rouge has to compete with being just 5 hours down the road. Stacked deck?

Edited by cajun

I'll stop you right there. I've lived in Houston, Burbank, and Dowers Grove at some point in my life. Houston is an amazing city with massive historic global significance just like Chicago or Los Angeles. You may not personally like it, and your own social bubble may not understand it, but any opinion that Houston lacks global significance is not in any way based on reality.

Houston is home to more multinationals and Fortune 500 corporations than Los Angeles or Chicago....combined.

One person's abject refusal to recognize reality doesn't change the fact that Houston alone is a huge economy with massive global importance.

That, in many ways, is what Baton Rouge has to compete with being just 5 hours down the road. Stacked deck?

I will say that my comments at that time were severely uninformed.

I will say that my comments at that time were severely uninformed.

It takes being a real adult to recognize an error.

Kudos.

I didn't think very highly of Houston until I lived there for a while either. It always seemed like a big concrete jungle to me, and I did not understand or appreciate it until I experienced it.

It is both a good thing and a bad thing having a city that competitive so close to Louisiana.

Like in Lafayette?

More like Chattanooga.....or BR can wait a decade for Google Fiber to get there.

Cox and/or AT&T will not upgrade infrastructure. It will hold the city back as more demand is place on the broadband network in the future.

• Like 1