Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

14 hours ago, cajun said:

Not sure about racism, but racial division seems to have gotten vastly worse the past 3-5 years.   Millions of people have this view right now.      

Millions of white people do have this view, as well as blacks. However, there is a vast difference in how people form their perceptions and I feel it's dangerous to disregard the experiences of millions of black Americans when they say there's a serious enough problem to protest and boycott.

2 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

However, there is a vast difference in how people form their perceptions and I feel it's dangerous to disregard the experiences of millions of black Americans when they say there's a serious enough problem to protest and boycott.

Never said that we should disregard experiences of black Americans....but you knew that and had to construct a straw man in which to debate.  You clearly hate that I post here and feel it necessary to antagonize my point of view at every chance even when you have to completely misrepresent my statement to do it.    

Edited by cajun

9 hours ago, cajun said:

Never said that we should disregard experiences of black Americans....but you knew that and had to construct a straw man in which to debate.  You clearly hate that I post here and feel it necessary to antagonize my point of view at every chance even when you have to completely misrepresent my statement to do it.    

I'm just creating dialogue about this since it happened in Baton Rouge. I absolutely do not hate that you post here.

On 7/24/2016 at 10:18 PM, Antrell Williams said:

I'm just creating dialogue about this since it happened in Baton Rouge. I absolutely do not hate that you post here.

I must have misinterpreted your posts.  My apologies. 

We started house/land hunting in the Baton Rouge area last week.  

6 minutes ago, Antrell Williams said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oh wow. Tired of A-town?

We've been contemplating a move for a while.   If we don't do it in the next 12 months we probably never well.   I travel regularly for work so I'll miss the airport....but this would be a good thing for my wife's career and it would be nice to be relatively close to my aging parents while they are still around.

Edited by cajun

10 minutes ago, cajun said:

We've been contemplating a move for a while.   If we don't do it in the next 12 months we probably never well.   I travel regularly for work so I'll miss the airport....but this would be a good thing for my wife's career and it would be nice to be relatively close to my aging parents while they are still around.

Well best of luck to you both. It's going to be hard without Hartsfield in your back door. 

Continued this from BR Photo of the Day Post....Yes indeed..nice shot Antrell...those clouds do kinda give it that creepy Gotham look

Cajun, that's cool to have you move back to BR ...Houston/Dallas/Atlanta have been like giant vacuums taking people away from BR...However some people have been moving back here; which is good to see!    My brother & cousin who live in Livingston & Ascension say BR is slowly "dying"...others say BR is on the "decline"....it is debatable...i'd like to think BR is keeping it's head above water..i refuse to move to those outer parishes

Speaking of tall buildings.... just got back from Houston a few days ago...try not to gawk  :shok: when  seeing all of those skyscrapers; high-rise cranes are still dotting the downtown skyline; it is impressive to see the new construction still going on; including 609 Main(soon to be new 6th Tallest in city)  that's not far from topping out(over 750'ft)....30-story convention center hotel; as well as residential towers around Market Square park. Did i mention Uptown's skyline continuing to grow too!  Heck the growing Westchase skyline  along the Tollway would almost five BR a run for the money

The real kicker for me was years ago when Mobile built the RSA Tower & claiming Tallest Skyscraper Title along Gulf Coast from Houston to Tampa; overtaking NOLA's tallest...ONLY  bec of the HUGE Spire adding vanity height....

Agree...BR keep those mid-rise 8-12 story buildings coming... really like how they  add to the "density" of the skyline; II City Plaza is nice....HOWEVER BR needs a new skyline-striking 30-story millennial-style office tower in the heart of the CBD.   And the riverfront deserves AT LEAST ONE high-rise residential tower(old River Place block).....And hotel on top of River Center garage(as Antrell mentioned) would be icing on the cake

I'd gladly take one of Uptown Houston's new office towers for downtown BR like this new  30- story high-rise office tower...

21928-75899.jpg

The construction-boom in Austin TX has been mind-boggling too

Continued this from BR Photo of the Day Post....Yes indeed..nice shot Antrell...those clouds do kinda give it that creepy Gotham look

Cajun, that's cool to have you move back to BR ...Houston/Dallas/Atlanta have been like giant vacuums taking people away from BR...However some people have been moving back here; which is good to see!    My brother & cousin who live in Livingston & Ascension say BR is slowly "dying"...others say BR is on the "decline"....it is debatable...i'd like to think BR is keeping it's head above water..i refuse to move to those outer parishes

Speaking of tall buildings.... just got back from Houston a few days ago...try not to gawk  :shok: when  seeing all of those skyscrapers; high-rise cranes are still dotting the downtown skyline; it is impressive to see the new construction still going on; including 609 Main(soon to be new 6th Tallest in city)  that's not far from topping out(over 750'ft)....30-story convention center hotel; as well as residential towers around Market Square park. Did i mention Uptown's skyline continuing to grow too!  Heck the growing Westchase skyline  along the Tollway would almost give BR a run for the money

The real kicker for me was years ago when Mobile built the RSA Tower & claiming Tallest Skyscraper Title along Gulf Coast from Houston to Tampa; overtaking NOLA's tallest...ONLY  bec of the HUGE Spire adding vanity height....

Agree...BR keep those mid-rise 8-12 story buildings coming... really like how they  add to the "density" of the skyline; II City Plaza is nice....HOWEVER BR needs a new skyline-striking 30-story millennial-style office tower in the heart of the CBD.   And the riverfront deserves AT LEAST ONE high-rise residential tower(old River Place block).....And hotel on top of River Center garage(as Antrell mentioned) would be icing on the cake

I'd gladly take one of Uptown Houston's new office towers for downtown BR like this new  30- story high-rise office tower...like BR settling for a few bread crumbs from a large meal...

21928-75899.jpg

The construction-boom in Austin TX has been mind-boggling too

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dan326 said:

My house most likely flooded but we found a place to stay. Just waiting for the water to recede now...

Sorry to hear that?   Where were you located?  

AT&T hasn't made it easy keeping track of friends and family.   One has water in the house....another has a flooded business.  Thank God everyone is okay though.   

Thanks for the concern Cajun... :thumbsup: Thankfully high & dry in the Millerville area...literally was on a island yesterday... house was built on higher ground . It was TENSE situation watching rising water 3:30am around the back of the neighborhood & people evacuating; needless to say it was a sleepless night ..(the next morning) My street was a river w rescue boats; Army National Guard Trucks, Fan Boats, etc..it was a sight to see! Houses around the corner had 2-3 feet of water that NEVER had any before

Stunned in one section of my old neighborhood in River Oaks near bayou had water up to street the sign w at least 5-6 feet of water in houses(almost to the eaves)...stunning!

Backwater was an issue like never before....Jones Creek(Sherwood Forest further west), Lively Bayou, Honeycutt Bayou, Claycut Bayou, etc...were also the culprits  simply unable to handle what the suddenly Mighty Amite were able to unleash....&  Comite NBR (Hurricane Creek)

Will be sure to comment on your Comite Diversion soon..thanks for starting that

Plenty people not pleased with AT & T dropping the ball not having a back-up plan

Edited by richyb83

Glad to hear y'all came out good.

I live in Centurion.

Yeah, it was amazing to see all the bayous and creeks once I took a good look at some Google maps.

The AT&T drop was scary. I thought it was the end, lol.

Edited by dan326

Hey Dan326....my bad i failed to mention n above post ...."sorry " your home got water if it did happen..stay safe...thought abt that this morning..my brain is n erratic mode w limited sleep.  

Surprised how quickly O'Neal Lane drained yesterday...they had it opened late afternoon...my in-laws live in the Woodlands (to your west) & NEVER have got water...had nearly 2 feet!  This was an eye-opener....i knew O'Neal Lane is fair game when it comes to a raging Amite River....but NEVER would i thought i'd see boats on Millerville Road... 

Honeycutt Bayou(glorified ditch ) runs from the Amite around Ochsner's ; under I-12....& O'neal.. Boreas...Millerville hooking up under Old Hammond Hwy(there is not even guard-rails just hazard markers) next to Naylor's Hardware(looks like big ditch)...then  connecting to Lively Bayou....that was the trigger point for our area

Think originally Honeycutt Bayou(the natural tributary) was very short..meandering thru the densely wooded Amite watershed maybe ending around O'Neal...then they dug a big man made ditch to connect it thru the neighborhoods (Woodlands/South River Oaks/Avalon/Lakemont) connecting to Lively Bayou near Old Hammond

I was waiting for some replies in my own "Personalized Louisiana Weather" thread last week before this got really bad...

Edited by richyb83

18 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Will be sure to comment on your Comite Diversion soon..thanks for starting that

This honestly got so much worse than I thought after posting the thread.   The back flowing into the city's drainage system just slowly devastated some areas.   Those flood maps were not based off back flow from the Amite watershed.  

Praying for you guys now.   I'm glad everyone seems to be okay.  

I know that it seems like a long road ahead....but I am confident life will return to a sense of normalcy very soon.   

Edited by cajun

5 hours ago, cajun said:

I know that it seems like a long road ahead....but I am confident life will return to a sense of normalcy very soon.   

I can't wait for 2017. I want 2016 to be over so badly, it has been a rough year for our city. 

I'm safe and dry. I've got a ton of family and friends that were flooded. School has been canceled for the rest of the week, and, well, it's going to be a long rebuild. However, I'm confident that we will rebuild ourselves into an even greater city.

Truly a shame with all the devastation north of Florida blvd. After a tense summer and years of racial segregation this was the last thing they needed. 

2 hours ago, all2neat said:

I'm glad everyone is safe. That's the most important thing.

Does anyone know if Graystone of Prairieville made it through? I used to live there and was curious. 

Made it through, safe and dry according to the LSU map, but the levee protecting could have been breached over the past few days.