Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

Those are some nice houses!   I'm not much of an expert on architectural  styles on houses...i'm still learning

I have always been partial to the carports in the back of the house...too many nice houses around BR/ Surrounding area have the "big" carport in the front that dominates  the rest of the house

Haha, one of my hobbies is "touring" other cities and suburbs with Google street view. Montreal has some nice really nice Victorian-style houses, I'll have to post some of them too.

I agree that it looks much nicer when the carport is in the back but I guess developers want to make more money by reducing lot sizes. And or course space is limited to a degree although there's still plenty of land in Livingston parish.

Edited by dan326

4 hours ago, dan326 said:

Thanks Richy, that was a nice story.

Hey what style would you guys refer to these houses as? According to Wikipedia these are considered Neo-classical. I had been calling them contemporary colonial.

Capturedal.PNG

That house to the right screams "suburban Texas" or possibly Oklahoma to me.   Texas has a few pretty communities, but most of suburban Houston and Dallas are full of houses with busy designs but plain details.   The neighborhood appears to be well kept though.  It will look much better in about 10-15 years when those trees mature.

The more traditional southern cities have much prettier homes.   Chicago area also has some beautiful homes....which is surprising because the mid west seems to have an unhealthy obsession with vinyl siding.

50 minutes ago, dan326 said:

Haha, one of my hobbies is "touring" other cities and suburbs with Google street view. Montreal has some nice really nice Victorian-style houses, I'll have to post some of them too

IMO some of the prettiest homes in the southern US are in these communities: 

Charlotte-Barclay Downs-Meyers Park
Memphis-Germantown-Collierville
Atlanta-Roswell-Alpharetta

Edited by cajun

2 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Those are some nice houses!   I'm not much of an expert on architectural  styles on houses...i'm still learning

I have always been partial to the carports in the back of the house...too many nice houses around BR/ Surrounding area have the "big" carport in the front that dominates  the rest of the house

I won't consider a house with the garage in the front...especially if every home in the neighborhood has that same configuration.  

So much in Baton Rouge is that "faux French" style house with the garage sticking out the front like an architectural tumor.....and usually on clear cut plots.  They'll throw a couple of sago palms out front and maybe a fleur de lis somewhere.   IMO the style is getting very old although some examples are still quite nice.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, cajun said:

IMO some of the prettiest homes in the southern US are in these communities: 

Charlotte-Barclay Downs-Meyers Park
Memphis-Germantown-Collierville
Atlanta-Roswell-Alpharetta

Neat, I'll have to "go" there and bring y'all back "pics".

18 hours ago, cajun said:

So much in Baton Rouge is that "faux French" style house with the garage sticking out the front like an architectural tumor.....and usually on clear cut plots.  They'll throw a couple of sago palms out front and maybe a fleur de lis somewhere.   IMO the style is getting very old although some examples are still quite nice.

Well, they have Acadian style houses too, lol! I'm not tired of the faux French yet cause I can see where the designs have been steadly updated over the years. I think the only houses that deviate from the norm are the what I just call "American" style houses on Barringer Foreman.

highpines.png

My advice for Google touring when searching for new developments is to look for:

*Disturbed earth

*Uniform and ligth pavement

*Complicated roof lines

*Tight lots relative to the area

*Google for Walmarts, Targets, and Home Depots to see where the congregate

*Lack of trees

Here's some neat "McMansions" I discovered on our sister siteSkyScraper Forum. These are the Montreal houses I was referring to.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1212375&page=3

5119344858_70cb054e1a_b.jpg

laval.png

• Like 1

Wow Dan, you might be as big of a map nerd as I am.   :)

I've found that USGS currently has the most up to date "free" satellite views of the Baton Rouge area.

6 hours ago, dan326 said:

My advice for Google touring when searching for new developments is to look for:

*Disturbed earth

*Uniform and ligth pavement

*Complicated roof lines

*Tight lots relative to the area

*Google for Walmarts, Targets, and Home Depots to see where the congregate

*Lack of trees

Here's some neat "McMansions" I discovered on our sister siteSkyScraper Forum. These are the Montreal houses I was referring to.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1212375&page=3

5119344858_70cb054e1a_b.jpg

That looks like a quality home even if it's not my favorite style.  

You've definitely found some interesting examples.   If you haven't looked already, you should take google tour/look at the River Forest neighborhood in Oak Park, IL.  You are in for a treat if you like big, beautiful homes.   A lot of FLW designs in that area, which is old enough to have a lot of mature landscaping and real character.  Lots of old Victorian homes, massive Tudor homes, and some really cool Craftsman designs around there.  

Some of the older parts of Squirrel Hill North in Pittsburgh near Carnegie Mellon are really pretty as well as Bloomfield and "the Points" in the Detroit metro.   I make fun of the midwest today, but in the past when their economies were booming, they built some beautiful homes.  

There are a lot of A Hayes Town designs (and knockoffs) along Highland in south Baton Rouge and in the Bocage area also....although I'm sure you knew that given your appreciation for good residential architecture.   

Edited by cajun

6 hours ago, dan326 said:

Neat, I'll have to "go" there and bring y'all back "pics".

Well, they have Acadian style houses too, lol! I'm not tired of the faux French yet cause I can see where the designs have been steadly updated over the years. I think the only houses that deviate from the norm are the what I just call "American" style houses on Barringer Foreman.

highpines.png

I think a friend of mine's house is in that snapshot.   :)    That style is very popular in Atlanta.  

Edited by cajun

19 hours ago, cajun said:

Wow Dan, you might be as big of a map nerd as I am.   :)

I've found that USGS currently has the most up to date "free" satellite views of the Baton Rouge area.

That looks like a quality home even if it's not my favorite style.  

You've definitely found some interesting examples.   If you haven't looked already, you should take google tour/look at the River Forest neighborhood in Oak Park, IL.  You are in for a treat if you like big, beautiful homes.   A lot of FLW designs in that area, which is old enough to have a lot of mature landscaping and real character.  Lots of old Victorian homes, massive Tudor homes, and some really cool Craftsman designs around there.  

Some of the older parts of Squirrel Hill North in Pittsburgh near Carnegie Mellon are really pretty as well as Bloomfield and "the Points" in the Detroit metro.   I make fun of the midwest today, but in the past when their economies were booming, they built some beautiful homes.  

There are a lot of A Hayes Town designs (and knockoffs) along Highland in south Baton Rouge and in the Bocage area also....although I'm sure you knew that given your appreciation for good residential architecture.   

Haha,

Thanks for the site. I just checked and I do see that its more up t odate.

Neat, I'll have to add those to my itinerary.;)

I'd heard of him around hear but am not really familiar. I know a bit about house styles but still need to learn about individual architects.

19 hours ago, cajun said:

I think a friend of mine's house is in that snapshot.   :)    That style is very popular in Atlanta.  

And stock pictures of houses and realty, lol!

Add me to the Map Nerd Club lol....but my thing  is the City Street Patterns (grid, broken grid, concentric grid; fused grid; organic;  cobweb; planned irregular; nooks; etc....Loop Patterns;  "Edge Cities"; TND's tightly packed...linear parks along creeks;  etc, ...the architectural styles of houses is cool too...

Also Goggle Earth 3D with the updates Skylines/high-rises...  +  separate skylines like Buckhead(Atlanta) & Peachtree corridor ; Clayton(St.Louis); Uptown (Houston); multiple skyline in LA...and the incredible Wilshire Blvd corridor stacked for miles

Since Cajun mentioned Charlotte ....it's cool to see the Street Grid at Uptown at the core then spreading out  like you see in Meyers Park with linear parks/greenways along the creeks......Always thought this pic was cool from Dilworth

Image result for myers park charlotte

Always thought this was a cool rendering from abt 10 years ago(knew saved this for reason)..like the style..somewhere in Atlanta

townhomes_photo_zps8as88wwy.gif

Edited by richyb83

^I was waiting for you to jump in :D ! Neat pics. The second one looks like the Middle East or Italy. Remember when they were supposed to build those Carribean style houses somewhere around Shenadoah, I think by the formers Arzi's?

Also, this is me being petty but does anyone know why Shreveport, Mobile, and Jackson have H&M's but we don't?

• Like 1

Thanks Dan!  Figured you could give me a good idea.....

You talk about my memory...yours is pretty impressive as well...Yeah they tried to bill that nook behind Arzi's as a Resort-themed tropical village(Carribean-style as you said)...was stoked when they announced it...not sure what fell thru

Good question...you'd figure BR would have one too...in all honesty had to look up H&M's before typing this :D

Got only abt an hour sleep last night...going to crash tonight

Haha, I was able to find the image - Village at Shenandoah

Capture9.PNG

Lol! I don't shop there but its one of the new it stores like Forever 21 so I'm just confused as to why we don't have one but everyone else does.

I know what you mean. I actually tried going to sleep at my normal time but just couldn't fall asleep.

Edited by dan326

Ha ha...

YES indeed!  You found it :yahoo:Loved that rendering!  They need to make this happen when the finally complete the messy widening construction of Jones Creek Road...the term "Village" always has a cool connotation...those Palm trees add flair & gives it a Tropical vibe !  Those Verandas on the 2nd Floor are icing on the cake...the brick-pavers in the street are sweet too

Wonder if the future Long Farm TND(not too far away)  will have elements  of this??

Us tin foil wearing hats could probably have a nice discussion on a few current events :whistling:

Long Farm'll be nice. You can tell they have some design standards since the Zaxby's is painted in a non standard color.

We sure could, lol! I was waiting for someone else to comment first, tehehe. :D Please don't take offense anyone who voted for this person but it's not so much that I'm glad X won but that Y didn't win.

Edited by dan326

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could Baton Rouge legalize recreational marijuana without the state's approval?  Or at least facility the development of medical marijuana dispensaries within its borders?  

It seems like the city's proximity to Texas would make it a boon for tourists if they could pull this off....and tax the daylights out of it.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cajun said:

Could Baton Rouge legalize recreational marijuana without the state's approval?  Or at least facility the development of medical marijuana dispensaries within its borders?  

It seems like the city's proximity to Texas would make it a boon for tourists if they could pull this off....and tax the daylights out of it.  

That would be amazing if we could do it. Make BR the Souths weed capital...lol.

On 11/20/2016 at 6:22 PM, dan326 said:

So assuming the economy doesn't collapse again à la the Great Recession, what do y'all think the chances are they'll put a Target or Rouse's at the formerly planned Arlington development at Lee and Burbank?

Not sure about those retailers in particular.   Would be pretty aggressive for Rouse's to open up so close to two competitors, but it's certainly not impossible.    Rouses does not have a location south of I-10 in Baton Rouge, and I'm sure they want one.    That spot is convenient to Southdowns, Riverbend, everyone up and down Burbank and Brightside.   That's why Winn Dixie is on the corner. 

I'm afraid Lee will have to be widened to 3 lanes pretty soon north of Lee High.   I don't think it's avoidable.  Hopefully they can improve drainage and sidewalks on that stretch as a deal sweetener for Southdowns.   They'll need the better flow as that site gets developed.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Yup before the recession it was supposed to be a 750,000 sq ft Seigen Marketplace anchored by Target, but now it's apartment city. Hopefully they can stay full with the reduced TOPS.

Hey, I just thought, maybe they'll put a Rouse at Rouzan since the Alamo won't be there. Of course that is between Walmart and two Albertsons. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2016 at 6:56 PM, dan326 said:

Yup before the recession it was supposed to be a 750,000 sq ft Seigen Marketplace anchored by Target, but now it's apartment city. Hopefully they can stay full with the reduced TOPS.

Hey, I just thought, maybe they'll put a Rouse at Rouzan since the Alamo won't be there. Of course that is between Walmart and two Albertsons. 

Yeah the street grid in that area is just not up to the task of handling all of those new residents.  It should have never been approved for multi-family.  They just widened Burbank less than a decade ago, and it is already congested at Lee and at Bluebonnet.