Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

Interesting day today.   There were three tornadoes on the ground simultaneously today in the Baton Rouge viewing area, with 5 warnings.   I think the local news was tripping over themselves to cover everything.     Baton Rouge itself was very lucky to escape a direct hit today.   There were several rotations in the radar dead zone west of the city that seemed to be making a bee line for Southern University and downtown Baton Rouge, but most of them sort of broke down when they crossed the area around LA415.   

There were two more in the New Orleans area (not counting the Killian tornado that moved into the Madisonville area), including the particularly damaging one that rolled through New Orleans east.  That one could eventually be rated as an EF-3.   NWS is evaluating damage in Baker and in Watson to determine if there were tornados in those places.  

Curley Hallman was coaching at LSU the last time I saw an outbreak this bad in south Louisiana.  That actually compounded the misery because LSU football sucked so much worse during that last outbreak.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

From what I heard, there was a touchdown in Walker I think west of 447.

I saw the photos of the transmission line damage.   That one looked pretty bad.  

Not to get semi-political, but we need to do something as a state to address the radar coverage gap between Baton Rouge and Lafayette.   Tornadoes generally move from west to east, hurricanes rotate counter clockwise.   Lafayette needs the coverage for hurricane prediction.   Baton Rouge needs it during tornado outbreaks.  This is despite the fact that the basin in between both metros is very remote.    Louisiana faces hurricane threats in the summer and tornado threats during the winter and spring.  Hurricane Andrew actually shot straight into the gap directly, and that deadly storm had major implications for both Baton Rouge and Lafayette.

Over the past year (including the outbreak in Feb of 2016), the communities of Baton Rouge, LaPlace, New Roads, Prarieville, Port Allen, Brusly, Convent, White Castle, and Paincourtville all had tornado warned cells heading straight towards them.  These warnings were based off rotations indicated on a high level radar.   Storm prediction center could not accurately predict the size, severity, or intensity of the tornados as they moved westward from the flat, level Atchafalaya basin into the population centers along the Mississippi.      

In fact, about half of the 850,000 people in the Baton Rouge area (including downtown and LSU) are in the dead zone between NEXRAD sites in Slidel, Lake Charles, and Fort Polk.   Another site is needed in or around Ramah, Erwinville, Port Allen, or Grosse Tete area to cover the gap.     It is by far the largest (and only) gap in coverage on the hurricane-prone gulf coast between Galveston and Gainesville.     A NEXRAD site in that area could cover both Lafayette and Baton Rouge as well as coastal communities near Morgan City and as far north as Natchez.    They are roughly the size of a small water tower and would be mostly unnoticed especially in more spread out communities.   

A lot of people talk about how we should do this or that to impact climate change or mitigate flooding.   This is a quick, relatively affordable way to make people safer from storms that we know will occur.   Tools like this that aid in storm prediction are really not a huge expectation for a populated that is area vulnerable to extreme weather and located well within a developed, industrialized first world country.    Then again, neither are roads that don't break axles, schools that don't suck, or simple diversion canals that mitigate flooding.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

Great topic Cajun! I'd give 5 likes if i could!  

Few weeks back the Slidell Radar was down for "maintenance issues"... so BR area depended on the Lake Charles Radar... any possible storms wouldn't show the "Detail" needed...WAFB Meterologist Steve Caparotta mentioned a weaker Radar System near-by(can't remember exactly where?)...interesting positioning of all of this..Truly an  "Upgrade" is needed!

Yesterday's Outbreak was very comparable to last February 23rd's....Difference was there was ONLY a "Slight Risk" for Severe weather & it was downplayed....a "humbling" missed forecast  a WBRZ Meteorologist said...the Upper Level Disturbance coming from the West got Stronger than expected.......   Last year there was "Ample Warning" where State workers & Schools were declared Closed the day before...a 1st for the area..INSANE...

Was gonna post Tornado Outbreak in Louisiana Weather thread today...but it gets no play...the hook echo's signatures on the radar from the Tornado in Killian & NOLA East were impressive! Not common for SE LA

check it out in Killian

Image result for killian radar tornado

Simply WAAY TOO WARM for February; it's been mostly Spring-Like here; (even Azalea's are blooming)...Too much "Fuel" for these storms!

BR had a very mild winter last year keeping Water Temps in Gulf warmer than average...then late Summer came & so did the Great Flood of 16' from a strange westerly moving tropical wave that developed inland (otherwise it would have been Fiona)..15' & 16' have been the Wettest Consecutive Years ever

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Image result for killian radar tornado

I remember seeing that but could not find a screen grab.   

The last long track wedge tornado to touch down in Louisiana was near Tallulah in April of 2010.   That one stayed on the ground so long that it actually passed through Yazoo City, Mississippi.   It was nearly a mile wide when it crossed I-55.  

According to the Advocate...the tornado in southern Livingston was an EF2 when it passed  Killian.  It was probably more powerful when it crossed I-55.  The one that hit Watson in north/central Livingston was confirmed as an EF3 as well as the one east of New Orleans.

Edited by cajun

Actually Cajun..you have em' flipped...Killian was EF3..it did weaken some by the time it crossed I-55 as it skipped over toward Madisonville  & Watson was EF2(111-135MPH).....according to WAFB NOLA/East EF3(136-165mph) was estimated at 140mph/now peaked at 150mph...guessing Killian was abt that too/preliminary report had EF2/120mph)...

Donaldsonville's was EF1 at 105MPH

http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/02/livingston_parish_tornado_near.html

Crazy stuff!   I vaguely remember hat long track tornado...those Tornado's in North La tend to be stronger (only 2 EF-5's ever recorded in La? not sure of the years?)

Edited by richyb83

Yeah it's confusing Cajun...now Watson's EF3 on WAFB? Killian?   The meterologist with these updates/changes( NWS/WAFB) are as mixed up as i am....:wacko:

90mph wind gust from Gustav (08') was intense...but it was a gradual increase over a few hours...nothing like the suddenness of a Tornado 100-150mph barreling down in a matter of minutes...that's scray stuff!   & is on another level

Some intense videos on You Tube

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, cajun said:

Search underway at Southern, LSU for private marijuana producer

https://www.businessreport.com/business/search-underway-southern-lsu-private-marijuana-producer-2

The universities are in somewhat uncharted waters with regards to federal laws and funding. Federal law prohibits marijuana use, and while Congress has prevented any interference with state medical marijuana production, Southern and LSU will be the first universities to produce it.

“So far I’m not sure of any cases where the federal government has denied funding based on medical marijuana,” Karen O’Keefe, director of state policies for the Marijuana Policy Project, told Daily Report last month. “But I’m not sure. This is unprecedented.”

Typically, O’Keefe said, programs are run entirely by private firms. While Louisiana will have private firms partnering with the universities, it’s venturing into “new territory” for medical marijuana policy.

Don't remember there being a shortage of private growers in Baton Rouge.   Maybe things have changed in the past 10 years.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

Thought this was pretty cool for the Skyscraper enthusiast...knew Manhattan was on a Colossal scale,,,but by just how much is extra impressive! Alone it  has 6,229 highrises – more than the next nine cities combined, including Chicago, Los Angeles, Honolulu, San Francisco, Houston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Miami, and Dallas. :wacko:

Has a nice diagram of the Tallest Skyscraper in EVERY state! 

Like comparing the Heights of Charlotte's B of A Center (871'ft) vs. OKC's Devon Energy Tower (850'ft)... 

It's a joke Atlanta's BoA is considered "Taller" 1,023'ft/55-floors  vs. Houston's Chase Tower 1,002'ft/75-floors bec of the "Spire Needle"??  ...Just like it clearly shows how NOLA's One Shell Tower(697'ft/51-floors) easily rises above Mobile's RSA Tower (745'ft/35 floors)...but the Crown/Spire greatly enhances the Vanity height :shades: Crazy something could be 745'ft tall; but ONLY 35-floors

Surprisingly, multiple states don’t have a single building over 200 feet (61 m) tall. The tallest building in Vermont is an 11-story apartment building called Decker Towers. South Dakota is nearly as quaint – the CenturyLink Tower in Sioux Falls is the tallest building in the state, but it’s also only 11 stories tall.

Baton Rouge's very own State Capitol at 450'ft tall...is taller than what 18 other States have: including Hawaii; RI; UT; NM; SC; MS; DE; ID; KS; AK; WV; NH; MT; ND; WY; ME; SD; & VT

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/tallest-building-in-each-state/

CLICK to ENLARGE

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/tallest-building-per-state-2600px.html

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Family claims 95-year-old swindled by Council on Aging director

http://www.wbrz.com/news/investigative-unit-ebr-council-on-aging-director-sues-dead-woman-s-family-over-estate/

BATON ROUGE- There are allegations of coercion and violations of state ethics rules at the East Baton Rouge Parish Council on Aging. 

All of this centers around a will that was drawn up late last year for a 95-year-old woman. Helen Plummer died this month, and that's when the family discovered the will that was drawn up by a member of the Council on Aging's board, Dorothy Jackson. The will is particularly lucrative to the executive director at the East Baton Rouge Parish Council on Aging, Tasha Clark Amar. Clark Amar refused to answer any questions about it or why she never told Plummer's family about the will until after Plummer's death.

------

The family was shocked to hear that news and were floored when they read the document that Helen Plummer signed. It states, the trustee, Tasha Clark Amar, shall pay herself from the trust a compensation of $500 per month for services rendered as a trustee. Records show that will happen for the next 21 years until the oldest beneficiary turns 30.

"I know my grandmother," Freeman said. "I know this isn't something she would do unless she was coerced into doing something like this."

The family says Mrs. Plummer and her husband worked in the railroad industry and saved a good bit of money. Her estate had $300,000 in liquid assets according to the family at the time of her death. That does not include the two properties she owned in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. 

When the family was afraid that Clark Amar was going to take their grandmother's money, they withdrew all the money from her accounts and kept all documentation for it. Now, Clark Amar is suing the family over this estate battle that appears to be deeply rooted over Plummer's money. 

^^^^ Not to ruin anyone's day, but that's about as disgusting and corrupt as you can get.   It's unbelievably sick and people need to go to jail for this.  

Higher ups at the CoA are apparently writing themselves into the wills of the people they are supposed to be caring for while having a board member of the CoA sign as a witness and notarize the document.  I can't even imagine what low life piece of garbage would do that.

Clark Amar refused to answer any questions. Eventually, her assistant got touchy and another employee, Trudy Bihm - who happens to be listed as an alternate overseer on Plummer's estate - tried to block the camera from capturing video of Clark Amar being asked questions. 

"I'm not answering any questions," Clark Amar repeated.  

She was asked whether she felt like the public deserved an explanation over this. 

"No sir," Clark Amar responded.

Edited by cajun

1 hour ago, dan326 said:

Why haven't they been shutdown? I remember the newspaper ran a story about them being possibly corrupt. I figured they must be pretty obviously corrupt if the newspaper reported it.

I think the director is the daughter of a judge?  

This might be the most blatant example of local corruption in existence right now in the Baton Rouge area.   Corruption like this is cancer on a community and city.  It needs to be cut out immediately before it metastasizes.  

Edited by cajun

Prarieville man arrested for using logic on state government property

"All I said was that we should start investing in concrete and asphalt instead of study after study", said Antrell Williams after being arrested and charged for using common sense at the state capital building.    Mr Williams has retained the Gordon law firm as his legal counsel.    

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

Just now, richyb83 said:

BREAKING NEWS....

LSU is considering Hiring a New Batting Coach that goes by the alias "Cajun" for the Slumping LSU Baseball Team. Frustration continues to mount after losing 5 of the last 7 games; with the goal Omaha; something has to change. Cajun couldn't be reached for comment...but bet he has something up his sleeve!

• Like 2

Another high risk for tornadoes in Louisiana today.    Be weather aware, people!

This is turning out to be yet another day where a NWS outpost and radar location in the western side of Baton Rouge area would be ideal.   Weird having 800,000+ people living in a low level radar gap.

Edited by cajun

• 3 months later...

The developer of Pointe Marie brought up an interesting point in that he said he wanted to de-emphasize the role of retail his development and create a destination that brings people out of their homes but isn't about spending money. Considering the decreasing importance of physical retail could this be a way to transform blighted property and/or anchor feature developments? I was thinking of grand parks and public spaces like you see in Europe. Obviously the question'd be who would patronize, pay for and maintain these spaces but I still think it could be an interesting idea.

Baton Rouge - based H&E Equipment buys Miami-based Neff Corp. in $1.2 billion deal

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_f7e072a6-68a3-11e7-9d4c-c72fbf69ac77.html/?1&utm_content=bufferb1163&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Baton Rouge-based H&E Equipment Services Inc. will acquire Miami-based equipment rental firm Neff Corp. in a $1.2 billion deal that will nearly double the number of H&E branches from 78 to 147.

The deal also will result in a combined fleet of 43,749 units with a total original equipment cost of $2.2 billion.

The $1.2 billion deal includes H&E assuming about $690 million in debt.

"This agreement accelerates our stated strategy to expand our footprint across the United States as we seek to penetrate and grow our business in strategic business segments," H&E Chief Executive Officer John Engquist said.

KeyBanc Capital Markets Equity Research Analyst Joe Box issued a note saying his first impression is positive given the favorable price, the benefits of building out metro markets and the fact that the deal could add 30 cents to 86 cents to H&E's 2018 earnings per share. However, the initial optimism is somewhat tempered by the inclusion of a "go shop" period ending Aug. 20 that will allow Neff to entertain other offers.

H&E has locations in 22 states across the United States, with close to a third of those in Texas and Louisiana. Neff has locations in 14 states, including six in Louisiana: Baton Rouge, Lafayette, New Iberia, Houma, St. Rose and Shreveport. Neff has the most locations in Florida, Georgia and North Carolina.

H&E is one of the largest integrated equipment services companies in the United States. H&E sells and rents heavy industrial and construction equipment. In 2016, the company had $978.1 million in revenue and turned a profit of $37.2 million, or $1.10 per share. Neff had $397 million in revenue and net income of $10.7 million, or $1.11 per share.

H&E is another large (but fairly low profile) Baton Rouge company that seems to be growing by acquisition.   With this latest move, they'll have a very good presence in Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, and Atlanta.   H&E posted almost $1 billion in revenue last year. with a market cap of about $775 million.  The company they are acquiring earned about $397 million last year.    

For reference, Sunbelt Equipment posted about $1.8 billion in revenue last year.   They recently bought a large equipment company based in New York.    

With all of this consolidation in the industry, I hope that H&E remains a major player and maintains a corporate HQ in Baton Rouge.

32 minutes ago, dan326 said:

The developer of Pointe Marie brought up an interesting point in that he said he wanted to de-emphasize the role of retail his development and create a destination that brings people out of their homes but isn't about spending money. Considering the decreasing importance of physical retail could this be a way to transform blighted property and/or anchor feature developments? I was thinking of grand parks and public spaces like you see in Europe. Obviously the question'd be who would patronize, pay for and maintain these spaces but I still think it could be an interesting idea.

As long as they have a CC's or Starbucks, I'm game.   A coffee shop is the one retail space they shouldn't push away. :)

I guess I just don't like the development because there are mobile homes in it.  

Edited by cajun

Public squares are perfect for free activities, look at Jackson Square. I would like to see one in the city and not particularly in a new urbanism development in the suburbs. But it's nice to hear them thinking of this regardless. Where does H&E stand on the Forbes list? Would like to see homegrown headquarters like them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/15/2017 at 3:59 PM, Antrell Williams said:

Public squares are perfect for free activities, look at Jackson Square.

Even before the FQ was a major tourist destination, Jackson Square was flanked by a retail, restaurants, and a cathedral.  

It's hard to imagine a public square being used without some kind of anchor or draw - especially out in the middle of nowhere.   

Even before the FQ was a major tourist destination, Jackson Square was flanked by a retail, restaurants, and a cathedral.  
It's hard to imagine a public square being used without some kind of anchor or draw - especially out in the middle of nowhere.   

Exactly. Reading the comments in one of Bike Baton Rouge's Facebook posts has further diminished my faith in Baton Rouge's planning capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota, Mazda partner to build EVs at new $1.6 billion U.S. plant

TOKYO — Toyota and Mazda plan to build a $1.6 billion U.S. assembly plant, the two said on Friday, as part of an alliance that will also see the Japanese automakers jointly develop electric vehicle technologies.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/toyota-mazda-partner-build-evs-115100376.html

What are the chances ANYONE in the Governor's office or Mayor's office even picks up the phone and asks for their respective districts to be considered for this massive investment?  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1