Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

13 hours ago, cajun said:

That's  a really poor business decision to shut down a profitable store because of the perception of the location.  

Their reasoning is probably because the mall is gone.   But they are about to get more traffic in that area than probably ever before.    Perhaps the building can be re-purposed to something that serves the distribution work in the area.  

Sucks that you are losing that job.   Are you going to try Amazon?

Thanks for the support. We thought that too or at the least that the extra traffic wouldn't hurt. Apparently the decision makers thought otherwise. :dontknow:

Well they'll transfer us to the other locations but neither of really convenient for me so we'll see.

I'm sure they pay well enough but I don't think I can do Amazon. For a side job I just want something easy.

48 minutes ago, richyb83 said:

Sorry to hear that Dan326...it is sad.

As young kids the Florida Blvd corridor was the place to be! Broadmoor theatre; Circle Bowl ; Cortana Mall; Billiards;   Slick track racing ; Skate board park; haunted house ; Mary Lee donuts ....all gone.:( Florida Blvd Baptist church too....

The old 8 story Blue Cross bldg still remains vacant

Sony's BBQ further east still does good business

Thanks. 

Yup, the list goes on. I guess nothing can last forever.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, richyb83 said:

Guess this can go in Coffee House

Videos show Tigerland bar patrons falling off a closed bridge. What should be done?

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_64a61488-56eb-11ec-995b-a3b0530d6976

BR.tigerlandbridge.adv HS 009.JPG

A logical, well run city would have a temporary pedestrian bridge built nearby for the duration of construction....but that's not what Baton Rouge is anymore.

Edited by cajun

On 12/2/2021 at 10:50 PM, dan326 said:

Thanks. 

Yup, the list goes on. I guess nothing can last forever.

I think Florida Blvd is going to see a  resurgence.  

But remember that bricks and mortar retail had major headwinds even before Covid with e-commerce taking over so much of their market share.    The reformatting of Florida and Airline in that are will probably bring more gyms, grocery stores, apartments, and restaurants.  Maybe even more distribution centers and light manufacturing in the areas around the Amazon facility.   

But it's never going to be a major shopping destination again, and probably shouldn't be.    It will be more neighborhood focused development.    Despite this, I would have sworn there was more than enough customers to support Old Navy.    I do think that company has struggled to transition to e-commerce, and they are probably trying to figure out how to move in that direction.   

On 12/9/2021 at 10:49 AM, cajun said:

I think Florida Blvd is going to see a  resurgence.  

But remember that bricks and mortar retail had major headwinds even before Covid with e-commerce taking over so much of their market share.    The reformatting of Florida and Airline in that are will probably bring more gyms, grocery stores, apartments, and restaurants.  Maybe even more distribution centers and light manufacturing in the areas around the Amazon facility.   

But it's never going to be a major shopping destination again, and probably shouldn't be.    It will be more neighborhood focused development.    Despite this, I would have sworn there was more than enough customers to support Old Navy.    I do think that company has struggled to transition to e-commerce, and they are probably trying to figure out how to move in that direction.   

Yeah, I can understand why Florida has arrived to it's current state. But hopefully Florida can at least be cleaned up  and come back in a service/residential sense like the Broadmoor center.

We have the customers but they just didn't like the area I guess.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

My mom and I joke that soon it'll be likethe old days that if you want to do "real" shopping you'll have to board the train down to NO like in the 1920's.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/article_fecfd658-a6f9-11ec-8357-afbbbb23d2b6.html

An Amazon store in Lakeside? Permit sought, but company strategy raises questions

A permit application filed in Jefferson Parish on March 3 sought permission to remodel 4,657 square feet of retail space at Lakeside for "retail use." The permit listed "Amazon" as the business seeking the approval, which would have demolished a previous retailer's space and installed new "storefront, partitions, doors, lighting" and other elements.

That same day, however, several media reports recounted Amazon's decision to shutter 68 brick-and-mortar retail stores, including ones known as Amazon 4-Star, Pop Ups and Amazon Books. Many of those, especially the 4-Star stores, carried toys and homegoods that were highly rated on Amazon's website. The 4-star stores, as well as the Pop Up kiosks, are often found in malls.

• 2 months later...