Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

I know, she can "saang" as they would say, huh? I think today people are starting to substitute performance for true singing ability.

If you have a little time I also suggest listening to the live perform, it sounds just as good as the record.

It's neat to see B.R. get some recognition,but who's trying to move in on my turf(3-D rendering). :lol:

Edited by dan326

So this has been bugging me for quite some time now, and i have mentioned it before. It really bothers me that the Iberville State Office Building lights up its "latern" to the "gateway," at night, but that the Beinville building dosn't. I am not sure who to contact to get this fixed, and in the end, i dont think anyone truly cares, that has the authority. I want to email the Office of State Buildings or Department of Health and Hospitals, since its their building. But I really dont see anything getting done. I wish they would just turn on the lights, lol <_<

So this has been bugging me for quite some time now, and i have mentioned it before. It really bothers me that the Iberville State Office Building lights up its "latern" to the "gateway," at night, but that the Beinville building dosn't. I am not sure who to contact to get this fixed, and in the end, i dont think anyone truly cares, that has the authority. I want to email the Office of State Buildings or Department of Health and Hospitals, since its their building. But I really dont see anything getting done. I wish they would just turn on the lights, lol <_<

Call the building...ask for maintenance or the superintendent.

Buckett, I had the exact same question. The lighted gateway seems incomplete? The Iberville light looks cool!

Long ago I was told to call, but never did Lisa Smeltzer, Facility Planning (ph.)#342-0849.

Now I just called an left a voice-mail. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

A while back I tried to e-mail the One American Place people about getting some nice exterior lighting for a better night-time view; but got no reply back.

I went to see "10,000 B.C." today and at best I would rate it 2 out of 5. The information was inaccurate/unrealistic, and the plot was plain. The grapics made you think you were watching Sci-Fi Channel.The worst part though, was the ending. I even heard one lady say "Oh come on, now!" If I were ya'll I'd wait for this to show on television.

Edited by dan326

I ran across this old pic to illustrate what Buckett is talking about. The "Gateway" buildings is a nice entrance into the Capitol Park complex. The Iberville bldg.(right) lights up that side of the gateway nicely; I too was suprised to see the Bienville bldg.(left) had no lights on top of their design as well. My brother works inside the Beinville bldg; maybe he can find out??

snaphappy029fn3.jpg

Did you ever get the chance to call them Buckett??(post #105) I called once last week; they have yet to return the call.

Edited by richyb83

Well I never called, but i did email the "ask the adovocate." I emailed them because i figured if they cared, then they could take care of all the dirty work in getting it taken care of. Well, if i had to guess, something tells me they didnt take my question. I think they only other option would be to email the office of state buildings. Does the actul building have a building manager maybe?

Live Oak-West Feliciana Parish

I don't know if anyone has seen this article about Live Oak Plantation in the Advocate. I remember visiting there a few years ago. The Turners did an impressive job restoring the place. As the article notes, the house is similar in some respects to other houses of the period built in Natchez and in Wilkinson County as well.

The Baton Rouge Advocate

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1205111665...ays_us_page_one

Is it just me, or is it every time a commercial real estate slump happens, Baton Rouge (and Houston) have large office buildings and commercial projects being built? They just set up those tower cranes downtown, and now they say that office space demand is going to sputter out. I noticed that they built Chase north tower during the last commerical slump....and the Boulevard and Perkins Rowe are happening now even though retail and residential markets are hurting.

Does the energy corridor (Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Golden Triangle, Houston) totally defy national real estate trends?

Edited by cajun

Wow the BRCofeeHouse sure woke-up :good:

Thanks for sending the interesting article Tom; good to see that happening. Some pretty country-side between BR & Natchez.

Yeah Cajun; BR always seemed to lag behind in the past(negative thing); but now lagging behind can be a postive thing. BR has not felt the real estate crunch as much yet. And according to last years Office Market Report(Spring 07') Downtown had a 96% occupancy rate. It will be interesting to see the new reports come out at next months BRTrends meeting. The Gulf South does seem to be flexing it's muscles from Houston to Mobile.

Love the Tiger Cub Dan!

If you are planning to purchase an HD TV in the near future, it maybe awhile before Cox can get you an HD/DVR Box.

Shortage in HD boxes causes rationing at Cox

Cox Communications has been forced to limit the number of high-definition cable boxes it leases to each household because of a temporary shortage in demand. Motorola, which manufactures the HD boxes and the combo digital video recorder/HD boxes, has not been able to keep up with the surge in households with high-definition sets, says Ann Ruble, a spokeswoman for Cox. "We would love to be able to send out more," she says. "But with more and more households buying HD sets, this is an issue with every cable company." The rationing has been in effect off and on for much of the past year. "We're going to have to do this until we get to a place where we can fill everybody's needs and wants," she says. Motorola says there should be some help at the end of April, when more combo DVR/HD boxes come into Baton Rouge. "We're keeping up with this from week to week," Ruble says

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/dai...008/mar/13/473/

Edited by byrde

I hope BR can buck and ride out this market downward spiral. I guess now being a homeowner I am a bit more concerned than what I was before. I really kind of freak out a bit when I'm riding threw my subdivision and I see the houses for sale. One thing I have noticed is that it's basically the same ones. Very few new ones come on the market at anyone given time. The ones that are on the market have been for months now. Almost all the analyst say that BR won't feel it as bad as the rest of the nation..... I'm still concerned. :shades:

Well, the future Mrs. Cajun and I are spending the Easter holidays at my family's house in Louisiana. We are staying one night at the Hilton and the rest at my parent's house. I felt like I can't expose a girl this perfect to my mother's overly friendliness (it's a cajun thing...you folks east of the river wouldn't know about it) or may father's goofiness for more than one night, and she's worth the Hilton because she seemed stoked about the Art Museum and Tsunami's. This means I will probably have to spend 4th of July in California at her place, but it's worth it.

We are going to see a movie at Perkins Rowe, visit the new Boulevard, and I plan to take her out to eat at The "Chimes Street" Chimes (though she might appreciate Boutin's more if I take her to the old style dancing)....this will the first time that she's been in Baton Rouge ever, and it's the first time I've been back in BR since October.

Other than that and the homes of some friends, we plan on going to Boudreaux and Thibideaux's, LaFonda's in Lafayette, and Mass at my home church....of course I will show her LSU because some UT girl from the left coast needs to know what a real school is!

I can't wait. We had Christmas in Texas and it was lame. It's just not right unless you spend the holidays at your childhood home....

I am really excited to have a few days away from work, and I am glad I can spend them in Louisiana. I was supposed to come in for a weekend last month, but I didn't feel like driving (or paying for the gas to do so....I need to trade in the Tahoe but I love it too much), but now I think it's important that I come back for a while. The rough part is that we have to drive back on the afternoon Easter so I can get back to work for Monday.

I'd like to retire in Baton Rouge if I don't get transfered back to town soon.

Edited by cajun

That sure would be fantastic Dan :shades: A dramatic improvement for the riverfront we could all be proud of!!! Wonder what kind of hotel chain might be considered?? RiverPlace sure does look sleek! The hotel would really have to be sleek on the small remaining tract of land. I like the "tiered" look with the other buildings flanking off from RiverPlace. The designs kind of remind me of Las Vegas.

Wonder what cutting edge design Trahan architects have for the old Advocate site?? I wish there was some media(radio/TV) outlet that could locate at street-level; complete with scrolling ticker board running across the front.

I wonder if Hartley & Vey have any offers?? The giant surface parking lot covers the entire block.

Cajun, Glad you like Baton Rouge! Hope yall have a good time. Sounds like a good plan.

I have a strong dislike for Auburn. The past "two" trips at Auburn LSU football team got --- messed over(nice way to put it) by the shady refs.... 10 years from now they may bust them(a.l.a. NBA ref) for getting a $paycheck..fixing the games. And add this year when the wussy-boy dirty chop-block on All-American/Future NFL 1st Rounder DT-Glen Dorsey.

That's cool ... and scary. :ermm:

Hey guys, ya'll should check out the Grand Rapids thread when it comes to medical development. It neat to see because I figure if they can do it, then we can do it. Unfortunately, I think we're to heavy into petrochemicals to realize the full potential of other sectors, not to mention we're in Louisiana. Governor Jindal almost had to fight to the death to get funding for Pennington. :(

Edited by dan326

Some of those back-woods Louisiana politicians just don't get it as the world passes them and us by! They are too worried about their pet pork projects; business as usual for some <_< Pennington is a world-renown nutritional research institute esp. w/ obesity. That has been self-sustaing since it opened in the 80's. That irks me to think this is a Baton Rouge-favored thing! It's a Louisiana thing! Just like the Cyber Command Center is not a Bossier City thing; it's a Louisiana thing!

We are all supposed to be on the same team here. Yes the individual city's benefit greatly but so does Louisiana. Jindal should not have to strain like that on this issue!

Edited by richyb83

Not sure who from UP sent this question, but thanks :thumbsup: Looks like we have an answer.(refer to post #107 for pic) The Gateway is actually formed on Fourth Street.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Q: The Bienville and Iberville State Office Buildings serve as gateway buildings along Third Street to the Capitol, according to the Capitol Park master plan. Both buildings are lit up at night to serve as the

Not sure who from UP sent this question, but thanks :thumbsup: Looks like we have an answer.(refer to post #107 for pic) The Gateway is actually formed on Fourth Street.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Q: The Bienville and Iberville State Office Buildings serve as gateway buildings along Third Street to the Capitol, according to the Capitol Park master plan. Both buildings are lit up at night to serve as the "lanterns" of the gateway. While the Iberville Building is lit up every night, the Bienville Building has been in the dark for several months now. The building is not living up to its true potential in the night hours. Why is the Bienville Building not lit up at night, and will the lights ever be turned on?

A: There is a problem with the lighting controls for the Bienville Building, said Billy Wilson, director of the Office of State Buildings Until the problem is fixed, the system will be overridden to keep the lights on 24 hours a day, he said.

"The gateway will be lit," Wilson said.

HAHAHAHA

I sent that question in, and i sent it to the advocate specifically for that reason. They got to do all the detective work, and make all the phone calls. I am really glad they answered the question though, although I did send it in three or four weeks ago.

HAHAHAHA

I sent that question in, and i sent it to the advocate specifically for that reason. They got to do all the detective work, and make all the phone calls. I am really glad they answered the question though, although I did send it in three or four weeks ago.

they were lit saturday night.