Baton Rouge Coffee House

dan326

NNOOOOOOOOO!!! SO CLOSE!

:cry::cry::cry:

This is so dissapointing. People always complain about there not being enough to do around here and this is the reason why! Now they're going to make a new tax proposal without the convention center expansion or Audubon Institue. And if we do get one of them, it's going to be some ole' rinky-dink, knock off version like the new main library. My day has been ruined. :(

Edited by dan326

We need the infrastructure improvements, so I encourage officials to package that together on a smaller plan...perhaps split it up like this:

Drainage and traffic syncronization

Parish Jail, Fire Department renovations, and Law Enforcement center

Centroplex renovation, garage expansion, partial funding for ALIVE

I'd think we could at least get 2 out of 3....

Holden, LSU, and Southern can partner up with a private company to get some funding for the Alive center just like the Shaw Center for the Arts- funding came from LSU, Baton Rouge, and private companies.

I think that it's a good tract of land that will see some kind of use soon.

NNOOOOOOOOO!!! SO CLOSE!

:cry::cry::cry:

This is so dissapointing. People always complain about there not being enough to do around here and this is the reason why! Now they're going to make a new tax proposal without the convention center expansion or Audubon Institue. And if we do get one of them, it's going to be some ole' rinky-dink, knock off version like the new main library. My day has been ruined. :(

I support it, but I am not registered in EBR anymore...and I disagree with not seeking private funding for ALIVE. Why not have the Pennington Museum of Natural Science or the Exxon Museum of the Environment? They get good publicity by tacking their name onto it, and the taxpayers don't shoulder so much of the burden leaving options open for other improvements.

Anyways, there was legit concerns....

1. It's a MASSIVE proposal that makes some people nervous

2. There's no reason ALIVE couldn't have private sources of funding...good concept, bad plan

3. It would have killed any chance of future increases in taxes for anything (schools, infrastructure, etc) for the next 30 years.

4. Green Light plan has still not shown enough progress yet, and many haven't seen the payoff.

I think that people would have easily voted for the police, fire, and traffic improvements if it were seperated.

I voted yes for it, but the part that made me uneasy is, why do we need to raise sales tax for bridges? That should be covered under the highway fund, and if that's short, then get a federal grant.

What bothered me the most is that btw the green light plan and this proposal, there still wasn't enough big improvements to meet Baton Rouge's needs for the next 30 years, yet it was a 30 year tax.

Now, if they would have cut out the ALIVE deal and put it in a seperate proposal it would have lowered the tax or allowed more funding to go to much needed streets, transportation, and police protection improvements. Say in 20 years Baton Rouge is still growing and needs more tax revenue to improve infrastructure....these taxes last 30 years, and it's going to be a very tough sell to increase taxes on an already overtaxed area.

In reality, people would end up saving money through lower insurance premiums by keeping Baton Rouge's fire department at a level 1. I don't know why that wasn't pushed.

The proposal was just poorly thought out altogether, even if the improvements it included were spot on. The ALIVE museum should not have been 100% taxpayer funded, and it probably shouldn't have been grouped together with the more important issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Say hello to downtown's newest resident. :yahoo: I got a great little one bedroom apartment on North Blvd. I can barely make out the new courthouse and II City Plaza from my windows!

On a side note: The sidewalks downtown are terrible. I've worked downtown for a few years but never noticed this until I rode my bike to work. In a lot of spots tree roots have caused the sidewalk to be badly uneven.

• 2 weeks later...

Did everyone see Todd Graves on the second hour of tonight's premiere of Secret Millionaire? He was FAR more generous than the guy who was on the hour before him. Todd and his wife wrote out three checks, each worth $100,000 to people who proved to them that they were deserving. I also didn't realize Cane's is now in 13 states! So when I came online I looked them up... they even have locations in Vegas now. I didn't know. He seems like a down-to-Earth guy, despite the fact that he mentioned he has someone who does his grocery shopping for him (wtf?).

I meant to watch that too. Did they mention Baton Rouge? It seems like a silly question, but you'd be surprised. Several times when a show was being filmed in New Orleans and the participants had to go to a facility in Baton Rouge like LSU, they din't even mention the city change, they just kept going with the show like it was still in N.O.

Edited by dan326

I meant to watch that too. Did they mention Baton Rouge? It seems like a silly question, but you'd be surprised. Several times when a show was being filmed in New Orleans and the participants had to go to a facility in Baton Rouge like LSU, they din't even mention the city change, they just kept going with the show like it was still in N.O.

Not a silly question, I understand how that goes. They just said "Todd Graves, a multi-millionaire from Baton Rouge, Louisiana." Raising Cane's got talked about a bit, which is positive for Baton Rouge, having a successful fast-food chain based there. According to Todd Graves, he's worth $60 million!! I told my wife, as much as I love Cane's, I don't think I want to keep spending my money to make him more wealthy. lol

Above all, I was in Cane's this weekend and they had just raised their prices that day (Saturday). A Caniac is now inching close to $10! Ouch. But I know the national economy is crap right now, so I can't blame them for raising their prices... they're just following the necessary trend at the moment.

But he seems like a genuinely nice, down-to-Earth guy, so I was glad to see him taking part in the show. The guy before him was far more wealthy and only gave out a total of $125,000 as opposed to Todd's whopping $300,000!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

A lot of people at my company are getting the axe.

I might be moving to Baton Rouge or New Orleans to take another job with a competitor. The recession is starting to affect Texas pretty badly, so you know it's a crummy situation.

Edited by cajun

A lot of people at my company are getting the axe.

I might be moving to Baton Rouge or New Orleans to take another job with a competitor. The recession is starting to affect Texas pretty badly, so you know it's a crummy situation.

Ugh. Dallas and Houston are my favorite Texas cities, I hate to see it coming to this. But I have a friend who owned a Chinese restaurant in Arlington. He chose the wrong time to kick it off, because shortly after he opened, companies in Dallas began laying people off. Months later, he's out of business. Damn shame.

I'll be in Dallas on Saturday for the Christmas parade. I hope the mood isn't cruddy with people being worried about their jobs. But I can understand... today we had basically nothing to do at work, and this has become the norm over the past 2 months. We always go through periods like this, but in nearly a decade with this company, this is by far the slowest - and scariest - it's ever been. Plus I made a very large, costly mistake today and all I could think to myself was, "what a fine time to expose yourself as a weak link!!"

Thanks Richy! :) I am working at an electronic store and I really like it. Plus I'm making $8 an hour, which is more than all my friends, so I can show off. :P After I finish with Christmas presents and save up some more money, I'm going to get a new phone. I'm an electronic fanatic, as I'm sure you've noticed by my job choice, and really want a full touchscreen phone. I'm going to get one called the Samsung Pixon. Some of it's features are a 3.2 inch screen, an 8 megapixel camera, and widgets(sort of desktop like shortcuts).

Congrats Dan! That's fantastic! How do you like your new job?? Been wondering where you are :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Not a huge drop, but I am happy to see crime actually dropped in 2008 compared to previous years.

Murder rate in capital city declines, first time in five years

By SONIA SMITH

Advocate staff writer

Published: Feb 4, 2009 - Page: 1B - UPDATED: 12:05 a.m.

Baton Rouge saw major crime decrease in 2008 by about 6.6 percent from the prior year, according to statistics released Tuesday by the Police Department.

^Yeah Bryde, the drop is OK, but still just too many murders IMO.

^Thanks for sharing the pics Dan :thumbsup: Really dig Houston's BOLD skyline! I have been posting my Houston pics very periodically since last Summer in the very slow Houston thread; still have more pics to post there; maybe you can post some there too?? Poor Beaumont; nothing has changed there; but those are some nice towers from back in it's hey-day!

Here's some other positve news...

Area

• 3 weeks later...