ASU defeats Michigan

Raintree21

Should ASU move up to I-A?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should ASU move up to I-A

• Yes
    • No

2 time defending I-AA football champions Appalachian State University (Boone, NC) beat #5 ranked Michigan today at Ann Arbor, 34-32. ASU was in the lead much of the game until late in the 4th Quarter and they retook the lead for good on a field goal. No Division I-AA team had beaten a team ranked in The Associated Press poll from 1989-2006.

There has been talk in the past of ASU upgrading to Division I-A but that the only thing preventing them from doing so is the size of their stadium. They seem to consistently prove themselves, as is evidenced today.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the issue of App St moving to Division I-A (FBS subdivision):

Yes, App St would need to have a higher attendance average than the current capacity of its football stadium, but that does not mean that the stadium HAS to be expanded.

The University of Idaho, my alma mater, moved up to I-A from I-AA a little over a decade ago. Our stadium held (and still holds) only 16,000 fans. Since our average attendance was under the amount required by the NCAA, we instead held most of our "home" games 8 miles down the road, across the state border in Pullman, WA at Martin Stadium (35,000 seating) on the Washington State University campus for 2 1/2 years. After we "qualified" under the NCAA's attendance requirement, we started playing again on campus.

The NCAA has since modified its home attendance rules, though they are still similar to what they had a few years ago. Here they are:

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [bylaw 20.9.6.1]

2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Division I-A. During the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons, the institution shall schedule and play at least four regular season home football contests against members of Division I-A. Thereafter, the institution shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against Division I-A opponents. [bylaw 20.9.6.2]

3. Annually average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [bylaw 20.9.6.3]

4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [bylaw 20.9.6.4-(a)]

5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [bylaw 20.9.6.4-(b)]

And here are the pre-2004 rules:

NCAA legislation required an institution that played their home games in a stadium that contained a minimum of 30,000 permanent seats to average more than 17,000 in paid attendance per home game for one year in the immediate past four year period. An institution that played its games in a stadium that contained less than 30,000 permanent seats was required to average 17,000 in paid attendance for every home game for each of the preceding four years.

I don't think so. I believe Michigan got smacked so hard by ASU, that their confidence was completely shaken to the core by the time they played oregon. Not just from the loss to ASU itself, but because ALL of the national attention that loss got. Constant news coverage, Sports Illustrated, the fans and everyother media outlet got in on the Michigan bashing. The game they played with ASU was kept close. They played a good game. Oregon on the other hand demolished Michigan, and i think that had something to do with the affect of the ASU win and coverage. They played Oregon like they were scared and had nothing left. ASU shook up a monster. I still don't like them. Wheres out football team? :P.

I agree that Michigan losing again doesn't make ASU's win look less attractive. Michican is still Michigan. The big house is still the big house (or whatever they call their stadium in Lansing). It's not every day that a small D-2 school comes in and defeats a major power.

On another note, for the first time ever, ASU received votes on the AP Top 25 poll. They didn't enough to be officially ranked, but they still received votes to make them #33 in the vote count.

Michigan could end up w/ a 2-10 record for all we know, but it still doesn't cheapen ASU's historic upset. Michigan is still Michigan, the Outhouse (I mean Big House :P ) is still the Big House, and they did what no other Div 1AA team could do, beat a ranked Div 1A opponent.

A few years ago, North Carolina was way down w/ Matt Dougherty as their basketball coach, and Ohio U came in and beat them in the Dean Dome. Do you think a smaller school like Ohio U, cares that UNC was down, to them, they went into Chapel Hill and beat one of College Basketball's most elite programs. App State will feel the same way, plus, last year, App State was hammered by a very bad NC State team in football, so that proves even most bad 1A teams are still going to be better than most 1AA teams.

Michigan could end up w/ a 2-10 record for all we know, but it still doesn't cheapen ASU's historic upset. Michigan is still Michigan, the Outhouse (I mean Big House :P ) is still the Big House, and they did what no other Div 1AA team could do, beat a ranked Div 1A opponent.

A few years ago, North Carolina was way down w/ Matt Dougherty as their basketball coach, and Ohio U came in and beat them in the Dean Dome. Do you think a smaller school like Ohio U, cares that UNC was down, to them, they went into Chapel Hill and beat one of College Basketball's most elite programs. App State will feel the same way, plus, last year, App State was hammered by a very bad NC State team in football, so that proves even most bad 1A teams are still going to be better than most 1AA teams.

I believe the rest of their games are conference matchups. They can't help it if they play a weak team.

Sep. 1 at Michigan

Sep. 8 LENOIR-RHYNE

Sep. 15 Northern Arizona

Sep. 22 at Wofford

Sep. 29 at Elon

Oct. 6 Gardner-Webb

Oct. 20 Georgia So.

Oct. 27 at Furman

Nov. 3 at The Citadel

Nov. 10 Western Carolina

Nov. 17 Chattanooga

• 2 weeks later...

They shouldnt move because they can't the NCAA just passed a moratorium for atleast 5 years with no moves between divisions. But App St. shouldn't move because they would end up in the Sun Belt or CUSA and never win a title, in I-AA or FCS they can win national championships and make money. They also had a big payout to play up. The biggest hurt they may see is getting these playup games for big payouts.

It's actually a 4-year moratorium but perhaps that's a good thing. If ASU can continue to field championship caliber teams after 4 years, then they deserve to move up to Division 1. Also, this gives them time to design a nice stadium and build it, along with securing funding and infrastructure for the other teams at the school.

It's actually a 4-year moratorium but perhaps that's a good thing. If ASU can continue to field championship caliber teams after 4 years, then they deserve to move up to Division 1. Also, this gives them time to design a nice stadium and build it, along with securing funding and infrastructure for the other teams at the school.

Archived