Downtown Baseball Stadium

CanukInAugusta

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Deke Copenhaver mayor

Cal Ripken Jr. - President & CEO, Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Chris Flannery - Chief Operating Officer - Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Bill Ripken, Co-Owner, Executive Vice-President, Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Representative Quincy Murphy

Jeff Eiseman - Vice President, Ripken Baseball

Some of the people who are apart of the Downtown Stadium Exploratory Committee

This project is probably already done behind close doors. Deke and quincy can sell augusta to anybody. The cal ripken endorsement is only icing on the cake

Just hope the voters approve it.. It will need a big PR campaign. Having been in Augusta since the early 70s I can tell you that it is very difficult to get the voters in Augusta to approve of any major spending project. The Civic Center was originally going to be a much grander facililty... situated in a better location downtown and seating over 12,000 but the taxpayer groups came out against it and had the project scaled back considerably. You still have active members of the Southside Mafia that are against anything that will improve downtown. I don't know why this is.. but they have always been against any major projects in downtown.

I don't think a baseball park will be a panacea for downtown.. but it will certainly help.. and the current location of the stadium just doesn't have any impact at all..Augusta has to get out of the habit of scattering things out and focus on creating an entertainment cluster in downtown. One thing by itself won't be the anser.. but rather a combination of things that promote more activity in downtown. I'm just curious why The Chronicle is so Lukewarm on the idea.. when they were gung ho over a downtown ballpark in the mid 90s.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
The prospect of a new downtown stadium on the riverbank seems exciting. What minor league team is the new stadium being built? If Augusta can pull of $31 million for a new ballpark for their minor league team then I want to know why the Gwinnett Brave's new stadium could cost upwards of $59 million.

It's working well in Montgomery. $26mil for a stadium, a new AA team for Tampa Bay and the downtown was WAAY behind what Augusta already is. That's been the impetus for a new hotel, an upgrade to the civic center three blocks away, an extension to the Riverwalk (it was just an Amphitheater on par with the one there to a whole block of what you've got) and streetscape improvements in the area.

• 6 months later...

Cal ripken Jr says construction will start in Fall 2009.

Stadium plans get Perdue's support

During a 25-minute conference call Thursday, Gov. Sonny Perdue told Mayor Deke Copenhaver and Cal Ripken Jr. that he's in favor of their plan to build a stadium on the 17-acre Golf and Gardens property, and he said he'll work with them to make it happen.

"It was very encouraging to me to hear him say that he's very enthusiastic about the project," said the mayor, with the Hall of Fame baseball player at a news conference later at Lake Olmstead Stadium.

Mr. Copenhaver said the governor has assigned a representative of the Georgia Department of Economic Development to help shepherd the deal.

Archived