Flowood Town Center

tombarnes

Flowood Town Center on Schedule

The ambitious Flowood Town Center project is on track. Andres Duany is involved in this one. The project will include up to 700 houses and a commercial core called Market Street. Local architect Michael Barranco has also designed a city hall as the centerpiece of the project. This is all very well and good, but I continue to be disturbed at the disparity between Jackson's northern suburbs and its downtown core. The two cannot be independent of one another for the area to work as a whole. This may be a splendid development, but I would like to see discussion of how such suburban developments could be integrated into the area as a whole. Islands of luxury are astonishing to behold, but they must acknowledge the city around them. In which direction will this pretty little town center take its residents?

WLBT Channel 3 News

More here...

Flowood Town Center

• 1 month later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More stores are coming online for the Flowood Town Center project. The rendering depicted here looks much more like a strip mall with decorations than anything remotely new urbanist in character. I'm happy to see that parts of the Jackson metro area are flourishing, but I'd rather see a strong commitment to the downtown core. In any event, here's more about the expansion...

The Clarion Ledger

• 2 months later...

More Strip Mall Development in Flowood

The latest article in the Clarion-Ledger about Flowood touts even more strip-mall development there. If this relatively rich suburb is to develop correctly, strip mall and chain restaurant development needs to be curbed, if not eliminated. I haven't heard much recently about the Flowood Town Center, but I assume that it is going forward.

The Clarion-Ledger

Archived