Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tombarnes

Flowood Town Center

tombarnes    0

Flowood Town Center on Schedule

The ambitious Flowood Town Center project is on track. Andres Duany is involved in this one. The project will include up to 700 houses and a commercial core called Market Street. Local architect Michael Barranco has also designed a city hall as the centerpiece of the project. This is all very well and good, but I continue to be disturbed at the disparity between Jackson's northern suburbs and its downtown core. The two cannot be independent of one another for the area to work as a whole. This may be a splendid development, but I would like to see discussion of how such suburban developments could be integrated into the area as a whole. Islands of luxury are astonishing to behold, but they must acknowledge the city around them. In which direction will this pretty little town center take its residents?

WLBT Channel 3 News

More here...

Flowood Town Center

tombarnes    0

More stores are coming online for the Flowood Town Center project. The rendering depicted here looks much more like a strip mall with decorations than anything remotely new urbanist in character. I'm happy to see that parts of the Jackson metro area are flourishing, but I'd rather see a strong commitment to the downtown core. In any event, here's more about the expansion...

The Clarion Ledger

tombarnes    0

More Strip Mall Development in Flowood

The latest article in the Clarion-Ledger about Flowood touts even more strip-mall development there. If this relatively rich suburb is to develop correctly, strip mall and chain restaurant development needs to be curbed, if not eliminated. I haven't heard much recently about the Flowood Town Center, but I assume that it is going forward.

The Clarion-Ledger