Hanes Mall

JerseyBoy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually keep up with this pretty well, but the last time I went to Hanes Mall, I didn't make it any farther than Belk. Sorry.

JerseyBoy's predictions are solid. I would probably include Carolina Place and Northlake in the Charlotte predictions, though Northlake could be shaky for new retail for a while. Friendly's a bit of a longshot, though. Friendly tends to trend a little older than the other malls for whatever reason (has something to do with the surrounding neighborhood I'm sure). Soho Shoes recently bowed out at Friendly because the contemporary apparel market is still a little weak out there.

I usually keep up with this pretty well, but the last time I went to Hanes Mall, I didn't make it any farther than Belk. Sorry.

JerseyBoy's predictions are solid. I would probably include Carolina Place and Northlake in the Charlotte predictions, though Northlake could be shaky for new retail for a while. Friendly's a bit of a longshot, though. Friendly tends to trend a little older than the other malls for whatever reason (has something to do with the surrounding neighborhood I'm sure). Soho Shoes recently bowed out at Friendly because the contemporary apparel market is still a little weak out there.

Off topic, I know. But IMO, Soho didn't close because it was too contemporary, it closed because it never had a market to begin with at Friendly. Soho tried to be upscale but its offerings were always less than stellar - middle of the road brands that were overpriced. It if wanted to be upscale, it should have gone all the way and offered brands and styles that competitors didn't. Factor in the fact that it was sandwiched between DSW and Bandolino, offering similar styles at much better prices, and it makes since they closed. I suppose Friendly "trends older" because all the usual youth stores (Forever 21, Hollister, blah blah blah) are at Four Seasons.

If my opinion makes any difference, I think H&M would work well at Hanes.

Speaking of Friendly Steven, I think it's time that they start revamping the old section of the center, mainly the exterior facades. But it seems like it would be pretty difficult to do that without completely disrupting retailers. And I'm not even sure CBL could stomach it, given the hefty price they paid for Friendly just a couple of years ago. What are your thoughts? You can post a response on the Friendly thread.

Again mods, sorry for the off topic-ness.

H&M likes to think of itself as a hip, trendy, youthful retailer. Thus, currently it is mostly locating in places that maximize the hip, trendy, youthful demographic. Unfortunately, the Triad is not perceived by outsiders as being the trendiest place. Of course as H&M expands to more and more places, it may be willing to expand into areas that it once considered unreceptive to its brand.

Off topic, I know. But IMO, Soho didn't close because it was too contemporary, it closed because it never had a market to begin with at Friendly. Soho tried to be upscale but its offerings were always less than stellar - middle of the road brands that were overpriced. It if wanted to be upscale, it should have gone all the way and offered brands and styles that competitors didn't. Factor in the fact that it was sandwiched between DSW and Bandolino, offering similar styles at much better prices, and it makes since they closed. I suppose Friendly "trends older" because all the usual youth stores (Forever 21, Hollister, blah blah blah) are at Four Seasons.

If my opinion makes any difference, I think H&M would work well at Hanes.

Speaking of Friendly Steven, I think it's time that they start revamping the old section of the center, mainly the exterior facades. But it seems like it would be pretty difficult to do that without completely disrupting retailers. And I'm not even sure CBL could stomach it, given the hefty price they paid for Friendly just a couple of years ago. What are your thoughts? You can post a response on the Friendly thread.

Again mods, sorry for the off topic-ness.

Follow me to the Friendly Center thread...

• 2 weeks later...

I love H & M and can't wait to see one in NC. I would definitely see them moving to W-S in the near future...next year or 2....they are very similar to Forever 21 and are just a little bit more trendier and costlier than F21. After Raleigh I would see them in Charlotte of course and then W-S, because although Friendly is nice...most stores are for an older, less trendy crowd and the 4Seasons mall is in decline.

Hanes mall has a great varied consumer base...and is especially successful with younger age groups. H & M don't have alot of locaitons but they do tend to hit all major areas. I lived in the Hampton Roads area for a while and they were located in both VA Beach and Norfolk. So they would fit in in Winston

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Brief update: Gap has moved into the North Mall, leaving a rather large vacancy in its former spots in the South Mall. In fact, that's the biggest story from Hanes right now. There is a significant amount of vacant space right now that doesn't appear to have potential tenants. This is most noticeable on the Sears wing.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

From the TBJ: Raleigh-based LM Restaurants Inc. is planning to bring a Carolina Ale House to Winston-Salem by the end of the year, which will be the first Triad location. C.A.H. has 20 locations in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida.  LM Restaurants is looking to expand the Carolina Ale House brand throughout the Southeast, said Mindy Stroupe, corporate communications manager for LM Restaurants. She said Winston-Salem was a natural fit, and the Hanes Mall location will provide plenty of foot traffic. “The first thing we want to do is hit all of our target markets here in North Carolina,” Stroupe said. “We’ve been thinking about Winston-Salem for a long time. We wait for those A+ locations.”

The majority of Carolina Ale House food is made from scratch, and the restaurant will be outfitted with sports memorabilia that reflects the local community. Carolina Ale House specials include a daily $2.50 and $3.50 draft special and a $3.50 cocktail special. The restaurant will have more than 45 beers on draft and 99 bottles available.

http://www.carolinaalehouse.com/home/loc/winston-salem/state/nc

Archived