Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

So when you say "Coming soon to a theatre near you" do you mean literally as in one of the other projects that also includes a theatre or did you mean it figuratively?
@tozmervo messaged me the same thing. Actors theatre isn't getting a hotel, so no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm....My guess is that W will be the hotel partner at Tryon Place and it will be a combined W Hotel and residences.  Of course that is a completely wild a$$ guess.

Back on topic...So with the Intercontinental announcement, Hyatt will be the only major hotel company without either a full service or luxury hotel in Charlotte.

Edited by cltbwimob

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

Hmmm....My guess is that W will be the hotel partner at Tryon Place and it will be a combined W Hotel and residences.  Of course that is a completely wild a$$ guess.

Back on topic...So with the Intercontinental announcement, Hyatt will be the only major hotel company without either a full service or luxury hotel in Charlotte.

There used to be a Hyatt in Charlotte at SouthPark. 

42 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Does anyone know if they're keeping the design shown in the Observer?  I assume that they are.

From what I understand, yes. I Love that design. Its a hotel on a 6300 sq foot lot. Not going to be anything but square.

With all these hotels recently opened, soon to open, opening in a year or two, I wonder from where all the guests will come. Are all these people staying in South Park now, or I-85 motels or Airbnb? I have not counted the rooms, actual plus potential but 2000+ if all come to reality, so are they betting on the future increase of travel for the majority of their guests? What about the now?

19 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

With all these hotels recently opened, soon to open, opening in a year or two, I wonder from where all the guests will come. Are all these people staying in South Park now, or I-85 motels or Airbnb? I have not counted the rooms, actual plus potential but 2000+ if all come to reality, so are they betting on the future increase of travel for the majority of their guests? What about the now?

I'm pretty sure that occupancy rates are very high so these new rooms will lower them. 

Charlotte has a reputation with business travelers as being a very crappy hotel market (limited choice, poor quality, bad availability). In addition there are many nights when its either impossible to get a room or prices are high (given the quality of the property). The Ritz, while nice,  is constantly full of BoA folks -- and they must send their overflow elsewhere). Given all this I would speculate that more availability, better pricing on off nights (plus the BLE plus some actual retail uptown) will magically create more butts in beds in uptown hotels. Event nights can almost certainly absorb another 2000 room nights (and there is plenty of scope for uptown institutions to increase the number of festival style events). Non event nights clearly won't fill all the available rooms but I think we will see lots more casual visitors after we can offer more choice and availability.

Also keep in mind there are a significant number of marginal properties in weird locations that are aging poorly (Crown Plaza (nee Marriott) at Woodlawn, Hilton at UC, airport Sharaton etc.)

If you go to Greenville SC on a weekend night you can see the potential of the urban travel market. The city is jam packed every night (without any significant business travel generators) and many of those folks would gladly pay for a room night if it was a reasonable option.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Studies have shown Charlotte has a very healthy occupancy rate that is climbing, despite lost conferences from HB2. The idea is, with a larger stock of hotel rooms, we can attract larger and larger conferences. Also there are a lot of hotels consistently full with business people for the banks and duke.

A lot of business travelers catch late night flights back and opposed to early morning flights.  Partially this is due to issues mentioned above....not a lot of appealing availability, especially when trying to book last minute trip to Charlotte for a meeting.

14 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Do you think Charlotte will ever get a 1000+ room hotel?

At a UNC alumni event about a month or two ago, Johnny Harris was the speaker and said they had a deal for a 1000+ room convention hotel at the observer site that fell apart as a direct result of HB2. I'm surprised it didn't make more waves. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Prodev said:

At a UNC alumni event about a month or two ago, Johnny Harris was the speaker and said they had a deal for a 1000+ room convention hotel at the observer site that fell apart as a direct result of HB2. I'm surprised it didn't make more waves. 

Bye Bye Charlotte JW Marriott :-(

1 hour ago, Prodev said:

He has said that HB2 is a fluid situation. If they can get it repealed, I would anticipate a decent chance at reviving those plans.