Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

I date myself (not THAT way!) The first photo has plywood panels painted to appear to be theatre curtains. In the early 1970's it was the Crazy Horse Bookstore, a leftist bookstore and center for anti-draft counseling and other leftist approaches.  One can read a bit about it here:

https://clclt.com/charlotte/draggin-the-tourist-line/Content?oid=2354287

No historic monument there about the police shooting and there never will be.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I date myself (not THAT way!) The first photo has plywood panels painted to appear to be theatre curtains. In the early 1970's it was the Crazy Horse Bookstore, a leftist bookstore and center for anti-draft counseling and other leftist approaches.  One can read a bit about it here:

https://clclt.com/charlotte/draggin-the-tourist-line/Content?oid=2354287

No historic monument there about the police shooting and there never will be.

Whew! That's wild. Really turns the souther city idea on its head. The local police were the ones breaking their windows, go figure!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2018 at 10:26 PM, Dale said:

I want to believe, but ...

I know what you mean lol...just walked by a couple days ago and saw the same from above.  Just seems that the Grand Bohemian is full force and this has just become stagnant.  I know there are a lot of moving parts to this project in terms of all the renovations they have to do on the inside of the theater, but I hope this is still a go!  From their website, the "latest" update was in February and that was the installation of the barriers on 6th (which has been the same for months now).  If someone can confirm that they are still just renovating the inside still, I'll feel better lol...personally, I am going to be super excited when I see a crane on this project...N. Tryon is in some desperate need of some loving. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

Hate to disappoint but I’m actually moving to Miami by mid-June. This will probably be my last hoorah before I move. Have to depend on you guys for updated pics. 

Another Charlotte ex-pat moving to Miami! Bienvenidos!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, saamh said:

Another Charlotte ex-pat moving to Miami! Bienvenidos!

Lucky... I’ll relocated to DC in a week or so. I 100% wish it was a warmer weather coastal destination. Miami or LA.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

3 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

Miami Beach, huh? Nice!  I’ll be right across McAurthur causeway in Brickell City Center.  

Yessir! Brickell is a great spot as well, I have high aspirations that the Legacy site will one day resemble City Center! 

• Like 1

That’s great! Now, about that crane? I didn’t see it when I left today. I had a meeting outside of uptown so I left around 2. Is there a base in place?

Edited, I was getting excited about all the cranes. I was actually thinking about Bohemian. I did notice Tryon Place aka Ally has a full crane installed.

Edited by CLTNative

14 hours ago, dnlleffingwell said:

I was uptown today taking pictures. I went to this site and didn't see anything to indicate that a tower crane was going in. I was surprised after seeing the last pictures above.  I didn't take any pictures of the site because I was so disappointed with not seeing anything. Hopefully soon!!!!

Well it looked like a square tract of land carved out of that space and concrete was being poured.  I could be wrong, so I'll let more experienced eyes confirm or offer alternative theories.

• 2 weeks later...