Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

21 minutes ago, Jasons0013 said:

I watched this from the 15th floor of the Corporate Center.  The Holiday Inn had a viewing party on the roof.  Waiters, drinks the whole nine yards.  BAD IDEA!!!  You should have seen those folks running for the door when that debris cloud hit them.  Also, remember windows getting broken at IJL (Fifth Third Building).  

I'm legitimately surprised that the Holiday Inn was allowed to be occupied at all during an implosion next door

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

CityFlop I mean CityFair was a tax payer subsidized 3 story marketplace with parking garage that was supposed to add excitement to uptown retail and help Belks and Iveys department stores uptown at the time.  It was developed by Rouse Co. who did Baltimore's Harborplace among other projects.  They had a good food court that was moderately successful and and 2 more levels of retail shops.  Those other 2 levels of shops never did much business at all.  My MBA classes were in space on the top floor of Cityfair as UNC Charlotte's first uptown outpost.  Cityfair did not last but 5-7 years as Belks soon closed to make way for Bank of America Corp Center and Iveys shut down a few years later.  Then Bank of America or at the time Nationsbank realized they helped encourage this boondoggle that they then helped to get rid of it by building the then Bank owned Hearst Plaza with the bank being the major tenants and Hearst Publishing a secondary tenant.   If my memory is incorrect please correct me but that is what I remember. 

as for that Wendys boy could uptown use that Wendys now (and of course another McDonalds) 

I went to CityFair a couple times.  My recollection of it was that it was relatively small, and most of the stores were closed in the evening when I was there (not sure if it ever had full occupancy).  The only places I recall was some sort of souvenir shop where I bought a poster of the Charlotte skyline, and a place I think was called Fat Tuesdays, which did attract some customers in the evening not tons of people.  I thought the concept was nice and it was an attractive place, but perhaps it was built to soon for UT.  There were not a whole lot of people living in UT at that time, which meant CF was doomed to be dead at night and weekends.  I think they had a "Field of Dreams" type thought when they built it:  "If you build it, they will come."  But as it was essentially a mall, and much smaller than Eastland and SouthPark, which is where people were shopping at that time, there was no incentive for people to drive into UT to go to CityFair at night or on weekends.  And if I remember correctly, parking was not free.  Maybe it was at night (I don't recall) but I think they charged during the daytime.

15 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Midtown Mall lasted past CityFail....though it too was in serious decline by the late 90s.

Was Midtown Mall the same thing as the old Charlottetown Mall (which was Charlotte's first shopping mall)?

• Like 2

Charlottetown Mall was a shopping mall located in Charlotte, North Carolina, right outside what is now Charlotte center city. The first enclosed shopping mall in the Southeast, it opened in on October 28, 1959. Atlanta's Lenox Square opened two months earlier, but it was an open-air mall at first. The mall was situated on a 10-acre (40,000 m2) parcel on the southeastern fringes of Charlotte's "center city" area. Rouse Company was the mall's developers.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Scribe said:

They are still drilling and pouring micro-piles. At least that is what is happening outside, not sure about inside the theater!

They warned that it would be a slow process for the foundation.

For myself, out of all the recent current/past projects, I am the most excited about this one going vertical.  I think just because of all the hoops and delays and everything else.  Will be bittersweet to see this get off the ground. 

• Like 3

Geez that site looks even smaller from above, how many rooms per floor is this thing gonna be?

One floor basement, 4 floors of lobby, 3 floors office, 25 floors hotel, 1 floor ballroom, 1 floor rooftop restaurant.

200 rooms on 25 floors. I’m not sure if any are “penthouse suites” but that makes it 8 rooms per floor.

This building is going to be very tall and skinny. I don’t think people grasp what 420 feet will look like on this lot that is smaller than most Dilworth backyards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One floor basement, 4 floors of lobby, 3 floors office, 25 floors hotel, 1 floor ballroom, 1 floor rooftop restaurant.

200 rooms on 25 floors. I’m not sure if any are “penthouse suites” but that makes it 8 rooms per floor.

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This building is going to be very tall and skinny. I don’t think people grasp what 420 feet will look like on this lot that is smaller than most Dilworth backyards.

This building will be a fascinating addition to the skyline because of this.

• 2 weeks later...