Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

9 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Really my issue is that in order to build a cultural asset like this in 2019 it’s an incredible undertaking that needs oodles of corporate welfare, subsidization and tons of public-private partnership. It just doesn’t happen, we don’t have Rockefeller’s giving back to the community anymore. People don’t wake up and say hey, let’s build a 1000 seat theatre. It’s irreplaceable. Let’s take Greensboro’s new performing arts center named after Steven Tanger, of Tanger Outlets. He has only covered 10% of nearly $80M. The rest is covered 50% by the city of Greensboro and 50% by private fundraising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I don't post a lot but wanted to chime in.  I disagree that people/families like the Rockefeller's don't exist anymore.  Take a look at Grand Rapids, Michigan- their downtown area is almost completely because of the gifts, grants, and donations by the DeVos and VanAndel Families, who started /own Amway, as well as The Meijer and Secchia families.  Because of them, Grand Rapids has arenas, museums, hotels, office space, a medical college, a Children's hospital, etc.   And not to the tune of a 10% donation.  Most of these projects have been primarily funded by them.  Maybe those types of  people/families do not exist in CLT, but they most definitely still exist.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HollySpringsTriangle said:

Hey, I don't post a lot but wanted to chime in.  I disagree that people/families like the Rockefeller's don't exist anymore.  Take a look at Grand Rapids, Michigan- their downtown area is almost completely because of the gifts, grants, and donations by the DeVos and VanAndel Families, who started /own Amway, as well as The Meijer and Secchia families.  Because of them, Grand Rapids has arenas, museums, hotels, office space, a medical college, a Children's hospital, etc.   And not to the tune of a 10% donation.  Most of these projects have been primarily funded by them.  Maybe those types of  people/families do not exist in CLT, but they most definitely still exist.  

And what did Charlotte's late billionaire give us? 

image.thumb.png.f216f6de818309a1629d12095c5db516.png 

Heres hoping Tepper and Michael Jordan continue to give back to the community. 

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Really my issue is that in order to build a cultural asset like this in 2019 it’s an incredible undertaking that needs oodles of corporate welfare, subsidization and tons of public-private partnership. It just doesn’t happen, we don’t have Rockefeller’s giving back to the community anymore. People don’t wake up and say hey, let’s build a 1000 seat theatre. It’s irreplaceable. Let’s take Greensboro’s new performing arts center named after Steven Tanger, of Tanger Outlets. He has only covered 10% of nearly $80M. The rest is covered 50% by the city of Greensboro and 50% by private fundraising.

That's because they solving malaria and minor things like that.

I'm thinking of Seattle or San Francisco and their mega-billionaires. I think it has to do with Industrial vs Financial and Tech elites. Industrial elites really weren't mobile, so they had to give gifts locally and keep the locals happy - lest they decide to do something like heavily tax their immobile capital. Case in point, Amazon and New York. Also can't discount the knowledge and memories of revolution in Europe. Today, they think they are pretty secure.

Edited by joenc
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

In all fairness, the fortunes of Rockefeller and his fellow robber barons were built on the suffering of tens of thousands of employees - child labor, horrendous and extremely unsafe working conditions, low wages, etc.  If that is a fair trade off to build shiny theaters and art galleries - ones that none of his employees could ever afford to attend - then I think you're extremely misguided.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never once said Philanthropy is dead. I'm just saying nobody should be scoffing at Carolina Theatre, just because "we could build another one anywhere." I'm simply stating what it takes to build a theatre in 2019, and that cultural institutions aren't just built by companies, they are built by moving mountains. That every single person should be thankful for this happening.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I never once said Philanthropy is dead. I'm just saying nobody should be scoffing at Carolina Theatre, just because "we could build another one anywhere." I'm simply stating what it takes to build a theatre in 2019, and that cultural institutions aren't just built by companies, they are built by moving mountains. That every single person should be thankful for this happening.

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Really my issue is that in order to build a cultural asset like this in 2019 it’s an incredible undertaking that needs oodles of corporate welfare, subsidization and tons of public-private partnership. It just doesn’t happen, we don’t have Rockefeller’s giving back to the community anymore. People don’t wake up and say hey, let’s build a 1000 seat theatre. It’s irreplaceable.

I hope you can see how your comments could be misconstrued :tw_wink:   We can certainly agree on the undertaking that this particular project has needed - "moving mountains" is quite appropriate in this instance.  Some of that though, I feel can be attributed to mismanagement by the foundation(s) that have been overseeing the renovation going back two decades.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this project change hands at least one or two times by different non-profits?  I might be mistaken in that.  My point is, while we don't have many apples to apples comparisons in Charlotte, I think this project has been plagued by several issues that have only exacerbated its delay/uncertainty and that I don't necessarily agree that given the same opportunity with an identical project it would be nearly as necessary to move said mountains.  This is an outlier rather than par for the course, if that makes any sort of sense.

30 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

I hope you can see how your comments could be misconstrued :tw_wink:   We can certainly agree on the undertaking that this particular project has needed - "moving mountains" is quite appropriate in this instance.  Some of that though, I feel can be attributed to mismanagement by the foundation(s) that have been overseeing the renovation going back two decades.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this project change hands at least one or two times by different non-profits?  I might be mistaken in that.  My point is, while we don't have many apples to apples comparisons in Charlotte, I think this project has been plagued by several issues that have only exacerbated its delay/uncertainty and that I don't necessarily agree that given the same opportunity with an identical project it would be nearly as necessary to move said mountains.  This is an outlier rather than par for the course, if that makes any sort of sense.

I'm more saying that John D Rockefeller would have died with 4x as much wealth as Jeff Bezos in todays dollars. And contributed far more cultural and institutional infrastructure than likely anyone on the planet ever has, and ever will. People give the city like $8-10M to have their name on something, he gave billions haha.

Edited by Guest

I am with RDF here.

Some of these local philanthropists are seeking naming opportunities as much as a gift for improvement/charity/ etc. I have no idea how much local philanthropy is driven by tax planning.

The Seattle billionaires demonstrate examples.The late  Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft "invested" in play: professional sports teams, a magnificently grand yacht and other playthings of the ultra rich . Bill and Melinda Gates are for world health in a big way. Jeff Bezos appears to wish to give half his wealth to his wife and her lawyers plus buy classic cultural institutions: Washington Post. Howard Schultz wants to spend his money on political consultants. One of those four would be traditional philanthropy.

The great fortunes of the past carried an implication of guilt for the distressed conditions the industrial workers and common folk experienced. Thus a drive for betterment through immense giving to arts, architecture and health care.  Motivation in the contemporary period appears different. Joenc mentioned a possible reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nc0775 said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article227172409.html

Near the end of this article the writer states that the Intercontinental Hotel is expected to open later this year.  Is that even possible given the current state of the construction site?

Not even remotely possible. Dated information that was reused. There isn’t a world where it could get built in fitted in 10 months lol 

19 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Not even remotely possible. Dated information that was reused. There isn’t a world where it could get built in fitted in 10 months lol 

I do believe they copied and pasted old information, but there have been towers larger than this assembled in less time then that..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/30/chinese-construction-firm-erects-57-storey-skyscraper-in-19-days

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Lot's of people in this community do step up, maybe not to the tune that people used to. It's also a corporate town, so people are very methodical and selective in their giving. The Belk family gave $8m for this project, and other donors have stepped in with as much collectively. Charlotte has lots of donors that give large amounts in relation to their wealth, but they tend to not usually be the Billionaires or 000 millionaires, but the double-digit millionaires. The theatre/lobby portion of this project has already been completely funded (but they're always looking for more)! The issues are with the hotel developer (they're on their second), but if the hotel deal falls apart, I would look to see an epicenter type situation where the lower floors are constructed including the lobby, and the hotel portion is on hold till it can happen. As stated previously on these boards as of last fall, they were targeting a theatre opening of Fall/Winter 2020. The hotel opening date has been projected for 2021.

• Like 3

Lot's of people in this community do step up, maybe not to the tune that people used to. It's also a corporate town, so people are very methodical and selective in their giving. The Belk family gave $8m for this project, and other donors have stepped in with as much collectively. Charlotte has lots of donors that give large amounts in relation to their wealth, but they tend to not usually be the Billionaires or 000 millionaires, but the double-digit millionaires. The theatre/lobby portion of this project has already been completely funded (but they're always looking for more)! The issues are with the hotel developer (they're on their second), but if the hotel deal falls apart, I would look to see an epicenter type situation where the lower floors are constructed including the lobby, and the hotel portion is on hold till it can happen. As stated previously on these boards as of last fall, they were targeting a theatre opening of Fall/Winter 2020. The hotel opening date has been projected for 2021.

Again. Keenly aware how philanthropy in Charlotte works. :-) I grew up with the Belks.

And people should read the last part, super valuable. I think it’s probably going to happen still, after conversations with people involved with the project.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:40 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

And what did Charlotte's late billionaire give us? 

Heres hoping Tepper and Michael Jordan continue to give back to the community. 

Jordan can't even tip, what makes you think that ass would give a dime to fixing Charlotte up? Only reason he even has a place here is because of the Hornets. 

6 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Jordan can't even tip, what makes you think that ass would give a dime to fixing Charlotte up? Only reason he even has a place here is because of the Hornets. 

I can't even begin to list all the great stuff Michael Jordan has done but this article tried. Please read it.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/02/15/jordan-week-michael-jordan-philanthropy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Jordan can't even tip... 

I've actually heard this exact thing from two separate people that used to work in the service industry. One was at Del Frisco's where he and his entourage would often reserve the private table down in the wine cellar, rack up tabs well into the thousands, and tip literally next to nothing. 

• Like 1

I don't care how generous you are. If you're generally considered a jerk, then throwing money to charities isn't going to make up for it. Charles Barkley himself said in an interview that he went to eat with Jordan and he left a paltry tip, I think he said it was something close to 2% or so, Jordan had paid for dinner, but Barkley palmed the waiter a 100 bucks as they left and apologized on Jordan's behalf. I'm sorry, I respect the man as a basketball player, but that's about it. Having worked in the service industry for a long time, I can't deal with people who don't tip or tip poorly. I stopped seeing someone because they "never tip on their first visit anywhere."  I'm not even one of those guys who think rich people should tip more because they're rich. A millionare can afford 20%. 

• Like 3

Part of the problem is that there are not many very rich people in Charlotte who can give a lot.  I think that the only billionaires in NC are the two founders of SAS, and they’re in Cary.

NY, by contrast, has eighty-one billionaires and scores of residents with hundreds of million of dollars.  Philanthropy (in terms of building cultural facilities, etc.) is alive and well there.  Two easy examples are the Vessel at the HY and Heatherwick’s floating park at Pier 55.  These projects both cost over $50m each, and yet, they were fully funded by gifts from billionaires.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1