Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

• 2 weeks later...

So it sounds like the economic development committee has finally had enough of the proposals for the Carolina Theater and will vote in December on a plan to move forward with: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/20/3677400/old-carolina-theatres-fate-headed.html . Obviously we need to hear the plans first, but I'd be inclined to go with the ARK Group given what they did with the NC Music Factory. Part of their proposal will restore the theater to some state and also include a 12-15 story office building. They said they could start immediately. The dev committee will vote on Dec 3rd and the City Council could potentially vote on Dec 17th.

So it sounds like the economic development committee has finally had enough of the proposals for the Carolina Theater and will vote in December on a plan to move forward with: http://www.charlotte...ate-headed.html . Obviously we need to hear the plans first, but I'd be inclined to go with the ARK Group given what they did with the NC Music Factory. Part of their proposal will restore the theater to some state and also include a 12-15 story office building. They said they could start immediately. The dev committee will vote on Dec 3rd and the City Council could potentially vote on Dec 17th.

Sounds like a pretty good plan - especially the starting immediately part.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd be satisfied with them getting it, but I tend to think that ARK/Lazes would do a better job and make it something the general public would more likely go to.   Perhaps they could join forces or something.  I feel like it shouldn't have to be an act of charity, but maybe FotC would be connected enough and with enough resources to make something reasonable happen.   But I am not happy that they seem to only want to stabilize it versus doing any restoration or renovation.   

I'm personally all for ARK/Lazes, mainly because it sounds like they could be up and running much quicker than FotC. Also it seems like ARK would get a better use for the space with its entertainment, mixed-use development, than an office, non-profit center.

• Like 1

Sometimes when you've talking about something for 10 years and nothing has come to fruition, you prefer certainty (FotC) to great ideas (Ark).

Besides, FotC's rendering for their office tower is off-the-charts sophisticated looking.  I'm happy with the decision.

Sometimes when you've talking about something for 10 years and nothing has come to fruition, you prefer certainty (FotC) to great ideas (Ark).

Besides, FotC's rendering for their office tower is off-the-charts sophisticated looking.  I'm happy with the decision.

While I agree that ARK has done a good job in creating the NC Music Factory, those buildings are fundamentally different, grunginess is a plus there.  A Tryon Street address is different.  Also, the honesty of FofC in saying that while the theatre can be saved, it's uses would be different due to the age and structure of the building.  My vote goes for the Foundation.

Care to describe said office tower?

Does anyone else like the three year window for development? That seems far from "concrete" development prospects. That would potentially have happened organically during that time period anyway. Must compete with grubb/north tryon office building and the Good Year/Childress Klein office building for leasing.

I disagree that it could happened organically, because as you mentioned there are competing office buildings already in the market, and there is still a signficant amount of vacant space.

The FftC isn't necessariely concerned with making a profit and I'm not even sure they would need financing.  Therefore, they could offer the space to non-profits and others that might not otherwise afford new construction space.  They reportedly are already in dicussions with the Charlotte Chamber to locate in the new building, and the their timing might have to do with when the Chamber's lease expires at 330 S Tryon.

I certainly wouldn't be against them partnering with Ark/Lazes if that means we get a better restoration, and Ark leases it for nightly events, and FftC uses the theatre primarily for day-time civic events.  Not sure if their visions are compatible though.

That is a nice, classic building, and at 15 stories, and no parking deck, is probably the most practical building design proposed for this spot.  I like the idea that their connections in the civic space could bring the Charlotte Chamber over as well as land some other tenants, and probably also fill any remaining space with some of the charitable wings of BofA, or other local corporations.

I am most happy to (seemingly) see no parking.  It is like we are a real city and can safely assume people can park elsewhere and walk or take transit.  I hope that is correct.  I suspect to satisfy some of the requirements they may have to contract with Hearst or another nearby deck.

Interesting that yall want more historic-looking buildings like how we (Raleigh) have.  And we want more shinny tall towers like Charlotte.  Nice looking building, good luck!

As the old adage goes, "you want what you can't have".  There is not a lot of good looking, pre-WW2 buildings left in Charlotte.  At least this tries to fake it.