Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

You should probably read back through the topic for some basic knowledge of what is going on.   

In short, yes, the Carolina Theater is the abandoned brick structure next to the weird green area at 6th and Tryon.    

The theater has an interesting history and the city sold it the Foundation for the Carolinas philanthropic organization which populates the non-abandoned building just south of the weird green area.   That organization turned a weird asphalt area into a weird green area in time for the DNC in order to be a small temporary pocket park.   They bought the abandoned theater from the city with the promise that they would renovate it and develop a building in place of the temporary park.    

You should probably read back through the topic for some basic knowledge of what is going on.   

In short, yes, the Carolina Theater is the abandoned brick structure next to the weird green area at 6th and Tryon.    

The theater has an interesting history and the city sold it the Foundation for the Carolinas philanthropic organization which populates the non-abandoned building just south of the weird green area.   That organization turned a weird asphalt area into a weird green area in time for the DNC in order to be a small temporary pocket park.   They bought the abandoned theater from the city with the promise that they would renovate it and develop a building in place of the temporary park.    

Ah, okay thanks for the update! Well I would most certainly LOVE to see that horrible abandoned building renovated and that weird green area gone. I said in another thread that the Days Inn is a black spot on an other wise nice 'downtown' area. This is most definitely another one.

Foundation for the Carolinas is by its very nature more risk averse than real estate companies, so I really can't see them building spec space. Considering that the building's target tenants are smaller non-profits that are presumably spread across Charlotte in offices with different lease terms, a lot of things have to align for them to justify building the proposed tower. I think the impetus for them will be organic growth of the Foundation that will push them to either rent outside of their current footprint or build a tower that they can partially occupy. They could probably draw an organization like Arts and Science Council if the Foundation were to offer it favorable terms, but like ricky_davis_fan_21 mentioned, this is all years away anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

This is still likely a few years off, but thought you all would be interested to know that the word is they are moving away from the more modern glassy design of the tower glimpsed in the latest street-level rendering. They intend to focus back on a more classic design as seen in the older rendering a few pages back. While I liked both looks, that's still welcome news to me.

• Like 2

That is great news.    Making it look unified is a better plan to than appearing to be a totally different and unrelated style.  Also, the philanthropic and civic realms are more suited for a classically embellished design over a minimalist modern glass tower.  

• Like 1

That is great news.    Making it look unified is a better plan to than appearing to be a totally different and unrelated style.  Also, the philanthropic and civic realms are more suited for a classically embellished design over a minimalist modern glass tower.

I don't necessarily agree. If they don't get the vernacular almost perfect, then the unified look will still look just as out of place. On the other hand a different style can lead to architectural interest to the site (ie Hearst Tower in NYC, or a timber-frame addition on a stone farmhouse). While I'm not a fan of glass towers, I'd much rather see one of those than poorly done classical.

• 1 month later...

The Foundation reports that they have hired an architect and are begining design. They hope to start construction in 2016, they have raised $8 of the $25 million they need to get started. The scale of the office tower is reported to be similar to the Dunhill.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/05/foundation-for-the-carolinas-begins-planning.html?ana=e_clt_bn&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1399931064&page=all

The Foundation reports that they have hired an architect and are begining design. They hope to start construction in 2016, they have raised $8 of the $25 million they need to get started. The scale of the office tower is reported to be similar to the Dunhill.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/05/foundation-for-the-carolinas-begins-planning.html?ana=e_clt_bn&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1399931064&page=all

That's exciting.  Looking through the architects portfolio (Westlake Reed Leskosky), it appears they have a strong background in theater renovations.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they come back with.

12-15 floor office tower would be a lot bigger than the dunhill though… 

12-15 floor office tower would be a lot bigger than the dunhill though… 

I've heard several different rumors on this, but can't comment. Mainly bc I heard it from the horse's mouth and that horse is the developer who will potentially be on the project. I can say that from what I know, there is much more to it than what's been stated in the article. 

• 4 months later...

Woohoo! The Belk Family has donated $8million towards the funding of the Theatre Renovation! WOOHOO! So they have 20 million of the 35 million raised. 

An update to the project. Here is the new specs of the project. 

4 floor Office and Lobby Podium (20k sq. feet of office) with a rooftop park, and a 10 floor Boutique hotel on top. 150 to 200 rooms, developed with a partner.

Edited by Guest

Woohoo! The Belk Family has donated $8million towards the funding of the Theatre Renovation! WOOHOO! So they have 20 million of the 35 million raised. 

An update to the project. Here is the new specs of the project. 

4 floor Office and Lobby Podium (20k sq. feet of office) with a rooftop park, and a 10 floor Boutique hotel on top. 150 to 200 rooms, developed with a partner.

Oh my god......WOW this is going to be an amazing project. Thanks Belk Family :) "Belk Place" I don't mind it.

Here is the CO article for it: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/10/06/5224322/belk-family-members-give-8m-to.html#.VDLUWildVXA

I will say, the work that Westlake Reed Leskosky has done with Playhouse Square in Cleveland is remarkable (having seen it in person). Makes me VERY excited for this as I know they will do great work.

Edited by Jayvee

The Hanna is a real gem!

That who district is a gem. It is absolutely one thing I took for granted living in Cleveland. All of Cleveland's Theater District is gorgeous, especially now with all the renovations.

Hopefully this project injects some life into Charlotte's Arts scene

Edited by Jayvee

Wasn't it at Trade and Tryon where the BofA tower now is?

It was an L shape that wrapped around a few buildings about 75-100 feet from Trade and Tryon intersection. There were entrances on Trade and Tryon but not directly at the intersection, if that makes any sense.

Tryon--square--1955.jpg 

This is the view from Trade and Tryon, Belk is the tall building.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...