Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

• 3 months later...

I can't wait to go back in the renovated theater!

I'm unclear on the mural location, but don't feel like researching it at the moment.   I wonder if the sidewalk improvements will be more street parking removed, or if they just mean they will make the sidewalk nicer but not wider.

I'm unclear on the mural location, but don't feel like researching it at the moment.   I wonder if the sidewalk improvements will be more street parking removed, or if they just mean they will make the sidewalk nicer but not wider.

I posted this in the Creating Culture Thread.

image.thumb.jpg.9023bb226c54611bb70786d6

I hope they remove street parking and make the sidewalk wider.  The sidewalks on 6th (and 7th) between Tryon and College are extremely narrow.  With the parking meters, it's difficult for two people to walk side-by-side or pass without having to yield or walk around the meter.

• 3 weeks later...

So is the Carolina Theater going to be a 1 or 2 screen movie theater? Or will it be a live performance venue? Or both??

Neither.  It is being renovated to host educational and civic engagement events - things like lectures, town hall meetings, debates, etc.  It may be used for some arts performances, but the backstage is not large enough to accommodate staging for live theatre, and it definitely won't be a commercial movie theater.

http://www.fftc.org/carolina-theatre

Well, you can't always get what you want. It's still great to see that great building put back into shape.

Overall, its glorious seeing charlotte's cultural institutions like the symphony doing fine. I went to the free event to see my first symphony.

At the end, they got a well deserved 40 second standing ovation.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article41709012.html

i can't decide if I'm thrilled, or extremely disappointed... I really wanted the historic look... With a modern tower on top. With the old marquee and entrance outside. 

Don't get me wrong, it's better than what's there now, but I hate it. What a major step down from our first look of it. I don't like it at all

I'm up in the air too.  It's not terrible when you view it out of context and/or don't compare it to the previous renderings (at least the stark lobby makes the old facade stand out through the wall of glass), but it's definitely not what we all hoped it could be.  I'm assuming FFTC decided recreating a historically-accurate facade was prohibitively expensive or that it would look painfully 'new' next to their current HQ building which, as a side note, has always been one of my favorites in Charlotte?  I'm trying to justify it to myself by thinking they're at least preserving and drawing attention to the actual historic structures and features by going all glass at the street level.

Edited by cltcane

I'm up in the air too.  It's not terrible when you view it out of context and/or don't compare it to the previous renderings (at least the stark lobby makes the old facade stand out through the wall of glass), but it's definitely not what we all hoped it could be.  I'm assuming FFTC decided recreating a historically-accurate facade was prohibitively expensive or that it would look painfully 'new' next to their current HQ building which, as a side note, has always been one of my favorites in Charlotte.  I'm trying to justify it to myself by thinking they're at least preserving and drawing attention to the actual historic structures and features by going all glass at the street level.

the hotel is happening it seems like. Ugh this is a shame. Looks value engineered beyond belief due to their tight budget. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm up in the air too.  It's not terrible when you view it out of context and/or don't compare it to the previous renderings (at least the stark lobby makes the old facade stand out through the wall of glass), but it's definitely not what we all hoped it could be.  I'm assuming FFTC decided recreating a historically-accurate facade was prohibitively expensive or that it would look painfully 'new' next to their current HQ building which, as a side note, has always been one of my favorites in Charlotte?  I'm trying to justify it to myself by thinking they're at least preserving and drawing attention to the actual historic structures and features by going all glass at the street level.

I fee like if done right, at night it could serve as a showcase for the interior historic architecture inside. The Apple Store in the upper west side is a soaring glass building with an incredible open tall space. However if done wrong, it could be Disney world cheesy

I kinda like the glass box with the historic facade inside. It has been done before all over the world, and if done well I think it could look good. I liked the previous rendering as well but it looks like they can't afford that now. That is partly the price of success in Charlotte as it is hard to find available construction workers with all the projects going on. Labor has to be imported at increased expense to make it work. Anywho if anyone on here would like to make a donation or has  rich friends that can make a donation then I'm sure the old rendering could be brought to reality in short order.

Wow, that is just awful. Even with all the effing contemporary BS architecture we get in this town, this is by far the most uninspired. Is that really the best they can do with $27million? Do we really need another boring glass lobby on Tryon Street? IMO what makes it worse is the fake historic façade inside. The old rendering was perfect the way it was. 

I like the new design more than the old one. The old tower looked like a bad version of three Wachovia. 

The street level is more of a toss up, but I agree with uptownliving that the contrast between new and old could look good. 

So, essentially what it's come to in Charlotte is that in order to get a sleek modern design to contrast with something with rich historic architecture like you see in other cities, we have to build the rich historic architecture as part of new construction.