Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

Sorry jayvee, but I still disagree with your article. I would have much rather seen an exterior similar to the one shown in their original concept rendering. The fact that it's a lobby isn't the issue - it's that the façade design is garbage (all glass = boring), and I think it's a double insult to create a fake historic entrance within the glass lobby. When was the last time anyone walked by a lobby and thought "wow that's a nice lobby, I'm really glad I can stand out here and look in at it." I think the Blumenthal is actually a pretty good comparison here. It's mostly dead space except when there's an event, and the windows are frequently covered up with banners/ads for upcoming events.

Meanwhile - Charleston rebuilt it's theater - The Galliard Center - (UP thread here) and took it from a mid century modern style CF to an beautiful neoclassical building. The building is much larger than the Carolina Theater site, however, my point is that the building is brand new AND architecturally interesting. IMO, something like that would stand out in Charlotte as distinct. We have tons of glass lobbies... not so much in terms of architectural diversity. With the interior as awesome as it is, the exterior should try to live up to it - not 'contrast' it.

One question though- that hotel lobby on 6th seems really small. Is this one of those self-check-in hotels, or is it just access to a sky lobby?

I agree with parts not with others. We are not Charleston but agree to disagree. And that's just a elevator simple lobby. Main lobby will be above their offices on the 6th or whatever floor of the new building. A la the new Epi hotel. 

Also theyre working with Hearst to fix the parking problem 

Edited by Jayvee

I thought the original facade was saved and is being reused within the glass lobby?

Ah, ok. I didn't realize they saved the original. That makes it slightly better.

Personally, I'm not too concerned with "keeping up" with towns that quite frankly are quite a bit Behind us. 

I agree with parts not with others. We are not Charleston but agree to disagree. And that's just a elevator simple lobby. Main lobby will be above their offices on the 6th or whatever floor of the new building. A la the new Epi hotel. 

1- All Charlotte does is try to keep up

2- My point with the Charleston example is not to say we should be like Charleston, but to show that older styles of architecture can be built today and still look and function well. My hometown, Spartanburg, is getting an AC Hotel built in an italianate style.

Anyway - I guess it doesn't really matter. I'll let subject lie and enjoy our new glass building.

Has there been any mention of what the upper portion will look like (or when we will find out)? I'm assuming it will be glass given the design of the lower floors.

• 1 month later...

Seeing it in context, I have to say I like it.  I originally wanted the classic look as well, but given that the theater will still survive and that we will get a hotel of the notably underrepresented luxury/boutique variety means this project will be a win for Charlotte.  The salvaging of historical structures, even if they are somewhat "museumified" inside a lobby, is still good for Charlotte.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nonillogical said:

Ok thats pretty nice. I still miss the classic approach, or even the one rendering we saw that had a classic first few levels with an outdoor space and modern glassy tower above, but this sure makes the bottom look better in the building's full context. 

That's how I feel.   I miss the classic style building because honestly not many others would build such a thing.  But as far as options, as long as they keep the different colors of glass and not just for showiness of the rendering, I am slowly getting fine with the modern approach.

The main benefit will be the actual activities in the hotel tower and theater, as it will not really be that easily visible from many areas in the skyline.   Modern or classic, it will be amazing to have the issue of the theater resolved for the next generation or two.  A hotel will seemingly be the best use, as visitors have a multiplier that help support the restaurants and visitor locations nearby.

The small scale of the old saved Carolina Theater façade always looked relatively odd tucked into the main façade like was done with Ratcliffe's, which is almost forgotten nowadays.   I think considering the entrance to the theater will be inside the main lobby, it will likely be both more likely to be a conversation and noticed than on the outside.   It also solves a question to of where to go once inside the lobby.  

I'd like to see a daytime rendering. Night renderings are misleading. They can't capture what it will actually look like and IMO are used to hide flaws because they look sharp win all the glowing windows  

I like that that they are framing that much density on a such a small site. I haven't changed my opinion on the ground floor. 

3 hours ago, dubone said:

... the main façade like was done with Ratcliffe's, which is almost forgotten nowadays....

Ratcliffe's is the entire building don't forget... not just the facade.  I'll never forget walking out into Tryon Street and seeing that thing in the middle of the street!  they picked it up, moved it across the street, rebuilt the foundations, and then moved it back!  Craziness... who says Charlotte never saved anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

Ratcliffe's is the entire building don't forget... not just the facade.  I'll never forget walking out into Tryon Street and seeing that thing in the middle of the street!  they picked it up, moved it across the street, rebuilt the foundations, and then moved it back!  Craziness... who says Charlotte never saved anything.

Yes, but the building is named after the old building, and that was saved and tucked in to the corner.   I always appreciated it, and I would appreciate it with this one too.  But the concept of putting it in the lobby has grown on me, and will likely lead to a unified architecture outside AND respect paid to the saved façade inside.  

17 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.png

image.png

Thanks. Basically it will look like more of the same for uptown. But that's cool. Hooray for density!

What street is that second rendering on? We don't have that many attractive buildings or retail along any block in Uptown. Nor do we have a legit cycle track like that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tozmervo said:

“We are very proud to have been chosen as the developer for this incredibly exciting project” said Euan McGlashan, Valor’s managing partner. “We actually believe Charlotte as a city is one of the most important, progressive, forward-thinking cities in the country right now. And because of Charlotte's importance, we have created a rendering of how cool this building would look in Pittsburgh."

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 4