Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

I suppose I should put this here since all the speculation regarding the Carolina Theater hotel is that it will be an Intercontinental:

http://developclt.com/can-charlotte-attract-convention-hotel/

Although this article is specifically about a convention-sized hotel, the author stated that we should expect to hear an announcement from Intercontinental Hotels and Resorts soon.  Purportedly this info is coming from a hotel developer who also said developing a luxury hotel in Charlotte is a no-brainier, and, given that the article was written by John Culbertson (Founder and Managing Partner of Cardinal Realty Partners), I suspect it's not just a wild rumor being peddled.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

I suppose I should put this here since all the speculation regarding the Carolina Theater hotel is that it will be an Intercontinental:

http://developclt.com/can-charlotte-attract-convention-hotel/

Although this article is specifically about a convention-sized hotel, the author stated that we should expect to hear an announcement from Intercontinental Hotels and Resorts soon.  Purportedly this info is coming from a hotel developer who also said developing a luxury hotel in Charlotte is a no-brainier, and, given that the article was written by John Culbertson (Founder and Managing Partner of Cardinal Realty Partners), I suspect it's not just a wild rumor being peddled.

Unfortunately, there is still no updates on the status of the theater's re-do start date. I am so sorry we sold to the society for a couple of dollars and it just sits there. I know there have been very generous donations in the millions. Glad to hear the news about the hotel though. I hope it isn't yet another disappointment. 

I think there should have been a stipulation when they got the property for a dollar that after a certain number of years without construction starting they would be required to pay full tax value for the lot. Not to disrespect the organization or what they do, but I never liked this going to them for a mere dollar because I just knew that we would be sitting around for nearly a decade waiting for something, anything to happen.

Terms of the sale: Renovations must start by Dec. 31, 2018, and be “substantially complete” by Dec. 31, 2023.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/04/Sale-Carolina-Theatre-Foundation.html

Additional terms: If the foundation misses the required start date for construction and completion, or attempts to demolish the theater, it will face a penalty equal to the fair market value of the site.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, tiblerbrit said:
Ely just confirmed on Twitter that the new hotel is a 250-room intercontinental, renovation of the theater to begin in May!

Remember when we called this an Intercontinental in December of 2015??

Edited by Guest

Here is full article:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article141219248.html

"The $42 million planned renovation of the theater is starting in May. This will be the first InterContintental-brand hotel in Charlotte. The upscale hotel targets “international luxury travel,” and operates 187 locations in cities including New York, Miami, Los Angeles, Beijing and Sao Paulo."

"The 250-room hotel is planned to total 20 stories. Atop the five-story theater, that would bring the project’s total height to 25 stories."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Here is full article:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article141219248.html

"The $42 million planned renovation of the theater is starting in May. This will be the first InterContintental-brand hotel in Charlotte. The upscale hotel targets “international luxury travel,” and operates 187 locations in cities including New York, Miami, Los Angeles, Beijing and Sao Paulo."

"The 250-room hotel is planned to total 20 stories. Atop the five-story theater, that would bring the project’s total height to 25 stories."

I actually think the final height will be more like 28-31 floors, based on the 6,600 sq foot floor plates and the amount of space that would be needed for internal hallways, elevator core, stairs, etc. Also would assume there'd be a rooftop amenities, and meeting space of some sort.

Edited by Guest

47 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Hopefully, the design will not be another box.  But for the Kimpton, Charlotte does not have a good track record for residential and hotel towers.

As the city matures, it's time to start building more iconic designs for residential and hotel structures.

Its 90 x 70 going to be hard for it to be much more than a box. I think boxes can still be very beautiful depending on the "skinning" 

26 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its 90 x 70 going to be hard for it to be much more than a box. I think boxes can still be very beautiful depending on the "skinning" 

At 25 stories it's gonna stick out on that side of Tryon. I love projects that make efficient use of the land, IE the Springhill Suites

• Like 2

This is pretty exciting news as it will give uptown Charlotte some more unique hotel experiences outside of the Ritz. You can throw the Grand Bohemian, Kimpton and the Ivey's Hotel in that category too once they are completed. Now, about that Loews and W hotel? :) 

Edited by HopHead

1 minute ago, HopHead said:

This is pretty exciting news as it will give uptown Charlotte some more unique hotel experiences outside of the Ritz. You can throw the Grand Bohemian, Kimpton and the Ivey's Hotel in that category too once they are completed. Now, about that Loews and W hotel? :) 

I'd expect at least one of those to South Park and maybe South End. Also have to start putting a St. Regis or Four Seasons on the list ;) (someday).