Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

2 hours ago, Prodev said:

At a UNC alumni event about a month or two ago, Johnny Harris was the speaker and said they had a deal for a 1000+ room convention hotel at the observer site that fell apart as a direct result of HB2. I'm surprised it didn't make more waves. 

An actual name of the hotel would make it more believable. . 

Edited by caterpillar2

1 hour ago, caterpillar2 said:

An actual name of the hotel would make it more believable. . 

See previous page. Its the same company that is doing most of the similar sized hotels nationwide. JW Marriott. 

On March 30, 2017 at 0:28 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

See previous page. Its the same company that is doing most of the similar sized hotels nationwide. JW Marriott. 

If it is true that LH had a deal in place for a 1000 room JW Marriot that fell apart because of HB2, I can't imagine that Johnny Harris wouldn't try to get them back to the table now that HB2 is gone.  A 1,000 room luxury hotel on the Observer property would be a bigly yuge deal for both LH and Charlotte.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It feels like we were hoping and praying for this project from even the very start of UP.  I'm ecstatic that the project came together into something so good.   I originally liked the classical design but the new modern design for the hotel looks great if the reality can live up to the renderings. 

It also took me some time to adjust to the entrance to the theater from the lobby of the hotel, but now I think that is a brilliant move rather than bolting on the old façade to the outside.   

Can't wait to see the results. 

Reminder of the theater renderings:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/24722/insight-carolina-theater-renovation-why-it-works/

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

The put up fencing around the little park and seem to be doing a little clearing in there. So nothing much unless they're working inside. That's as of Sunday.

Looks like the are just making an appearance, I hope they are just dragging this project along buying time. It seems that they are very good at that. I hope they prove me wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article158464954.html

This is huge news that suddenly they need a larger budget and suddenly need private money.   The city's portion was giving the building for $1.   

Of course I would want council to support it, but it is a shame that this is coming out last minute after things finally seemed to move forward.   Why not just get a dang loan from the banks and repay it with the proceeds of events. 

• Like 1