Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

It seems most everyone is focused on the hotel.  I get it.  But has there been anything released in terms of how much they are going to restore inside of the theater?   The longer this drags out the more concern I have for that part of the project cutting corners.  

3 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

It seems most everyone is focused on the hotel.  I get it.  But has there been anything released in terms of how much they are going to restore inside of the theater?   The longer this drags out the more concern I have for that part of the project cutting corners.  

Their plan is to completely restore the original look. You can look at their website to see things progressing, under gallery I believe.

38 minutes ago, DMann said:

I am hearing 40 stories!

Whoa that would put this at around 465' which would be about the height of 300 South Tryon (463') .... unless you're pulling our leg.  

Also, I thought they had to add extra space for elevator shafts in buildings over 32 floors. With such a small footprint available here, wouldn't pushing it to 40 floors eat into too much space? .

Edited by Crucial_Infra

Whoa that would put this at around 465' which would be about the height of 300 South Tryon (463') .... unless you're pulling our leg.  
Also, I thought they had to add extra space for elevator shafts in buildings over 32 floors. With such a small footprint available here, wouldn't pushing it to 40 floors eat into too much space? .

Not if it’s skinny enough and has like a dozen people per floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't make a lot of sense....hotels have gotten hard to finance, so difficult to see it grow, though it's possible if lenders think the 5 star market is sufficiently underserved....which it is based in the near 100% sellout rate at the Ritz-Carlton.

Also possible is luxury apartments or condos added, but given it would be valet only, not sure Charlotte is ready for that, and would think that requires 2 additional elevator shafts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't make a lot of sense....hotels have gotten hard to finance, so difficult to see it grow, though it's possible if lenders think the 5 star market is sufficiently underserved....which it is based in the near 100% sellout rate at the Ritz-Carlton.
Also possible is luxury apartments or condos added, but given it would be valet only, not sure Charlotte is ready for that.

I think it’s a severely underserved market, so I could see it happening. 40 floors is tough, but It’s not a ton of units per floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I've always wondered this...when towers are multiuse like this (hotel/office), will this still be considered our new tallest hotel?  

I'd think so, keep in mind the base of AC Hotel is technically Office and Retail

Edited by Guest

On 6/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, cjd5050 said:

It's a charity and they have promised their donors that they plan to restore it as much as possible to original grandeur inside, but only to the degree of their budget.   To increase their budget, feel free to donate: https://carolinatheatreclt.org/give/

Unlike prior commercial plans for restoring the theater which would have skipped the restoration, this team has promised all along that they will restore much of the detail to the 1920s style as much as they can.  I doubt that time passing due to the complexity of the tower portion will have any bearing on their plan for the interior details in the theater.  

I'm excited it is getting a bit taller, even if by just one story.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dubone said:

It's a charity and they have promised their donors that they plan to restore it as much as possible to original grandeur inside, but only to the degree of their budget.   To increase their budget, feel free to donate: https://carolinatheatreclt.org/give/

Unlike prior commercial plans for restoring the theater which would have skipped the restoration, this team has promised all along that they will restore much of the detail to the 1920s style as much as they can.  I doubt that time passing due to the complexity of the tower portion will have any bearing on their plan for the interior details in the theater.  

They claim that they have fully funded their construction goal of $51.5 million.   The only areas to donate are for specific items like a candy display case, supporting programming and the general fund.  Nothing about increasing the restoration budget.   So it looks like the scope of restoration is locked in.  

I hope they do restore most of the interior but my fear is that this budget won't allow them to.  As a supporter of FLW Darwin Martin House, I assume a faithful restoration would be 2X.   It's just almost impossible to recreate the craftsmanship that existed back then and when you do...it's crazy expensive.  

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

This will finish up right after Eastland gets built out....

Theres a LOT of work that has to be done all over this site, and its got lots of money behind it already. Eastland has nothing. I'm sure this is pure sarcasm, but still.