Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

• 5 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The entire Empire State Building was built and opened in the amount of time that has passed since work began here. All the fancy engineering reasons in the world won’t change that fact and in the abstract that is mightily fuked up. Glacial.

I don’t think you can fit 3,400 people shoulder to shoulder on this site...

Also engineering isn’t the reason. There’s a ton of reasons, but my fingers can’t type that much on my phone. I’ll check back in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don’t think you can fit 3,400 people shoulder to shoulder on this site...

Also engineering isn’t the reason. There’s a ton of reasons, but my fingers can’t type that much on my phone. I’ll check back in the morning.

Ricky, can you summarize ?

Navigator used Empire State Building as a comparison for this building but the ESB was famous, (still is) for the developers throwing everything at it for construction with 3400 workers (not all at the same time) and finishing the building in just over one year. A marvel of logistics and planning, and the site allowed 24/7 opportunity. Five men died during construction. That is my summary.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Navigator used Empire State Building as a comparison for this building but the ESB was famous, (still is) for the developers throwing everything at it for construction with 3400 workers (not all at the same time) and finishing the building in just over one year. A marvel of logistics and planning, and the site allowed 24/7 opportunity. Five men died during construction. That is my summary.

True, but I got the impression Ricky was hinting at other factors.

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Ricky, can you summarize ?

Empire State Building was built at a time before OSHA (created in 1971) Regulations

Empire State Building was built at a time where there was no labor shortage, hell nobody had jobs. Now theres a major labor shortage. Gotta have people to build these buildings.

... is a 2 acre site hemmed in by streets on 3 sides (2 are wide boulevards). Intercontinental is 3/20ths of an acre, and hemmed in on two sides with historical buildings, 1 side with a narrow road, 1 with a decently big road. 

... was built in about a wide open of an area as you could get in NYC in 1930. Even today the tallest adjacent building is 5 floors. Intercontinental will literally be built into and cantilever over a theatre that has been rotting for decades. 

Intercontinental, because its proximity to everything else will need specialty equipment, specialty engineers. 

Literally everything needs to be shored up because its proximity to two historic buildings. 

Government shutdown, trade wars, tarrifs, deporting people.

So many reasons for this to take a long time.

They also dumped someone on the team midway, I believe.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Empire State Building was built at a time before OSHA (created in 1971) Regulations

Empire State Building was built at a time where there was no labor shortage, hell nobody had jobs. Now theres a major labor shortage. Gotta have people to build these buildings.

... is a 2 acre site hemmed in by streets on 3 sides (2 are wide boulevards). Intercontinental is 3/20ths of an acre, and hemmed in on two sides with historical buildings, 1 side with a narrow road, 1 with a decently big road. 

... was built in about a wide open of an area as you could get in NYC in 1930. Even today the tallest adjacent building is 5 floors. Intercontinental will literally be built into and cantilever over a theatre that has been rotting for decades. 

Intercontinental, because its proximity to everything else will need specialty equipment, specialty engineers. 

Literally everything needs to be shored up because its proximity to two historic buildings. 

Government shutdown, trade wars, tarrifs, deporting people.

So many reasons for this to take a long time.

They also dumped someone on the team midway, I believe.

Oh, I thought you were going to say that they needed more money again. I’m just pissed that government is open for business again.

• Haha 1

Oh, I thought you were going to say that they needed more money again. I’m just pissed that government is open for business again.

Nah they just got a big dollar permit, so it should be ready to go soon.

48 minutes ago, Dale said:

When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. (nail = damn Democratic handouts) :tw_grin:

Edited by jednc
added the smiley for some context