Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

1 hour ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

This thread began over 11 years ago, with the then-anticipated luxury condo plus a Jetsons type scheme of an elevator for the condo-owners' cars.  Like that was ever going to happen.

This is the most humbling post in this thread. Maybe on this site. Sometimes reminders/perspective is incredibly important.

Agreed this plan is far better funded and didn't need to rely on waiting for luxury condo sales, which granted the Enclave was very late to that game and didn't get to have the magic instant sold out status that 210 Trade did and a few others. 

Love the old optimism we had during the bubble years.   But to be fair somewhat, Jetsons had flying cars, so a simple car elevator like we have now at Carvana and many other places was not that far-fetched as a technology, just expensive, which made sense for a luxury condo on prime real estate.   That said, the people that could see the bubble at the time had the level of cuckoo that Y2K preppers had a decade before that and Infowars people had decade later.  It was hard to take their advice reasonably well.   But I wish I had taken A2's advice to quit banking, buy gold, sell all real estate and stock and move away.  It was not credible then, but was right advice.  

Agreed the current project iteration is far more plausible but still raises questions of whether it will be all it is promised to be.  Most projects aspire more during conception than are actually built when the realities hit.   I do worry about the Theater upfit for sure, especially when I see no updates on their website.   I think they they are resolving parking spaces by contracting at nearby decks, probably with a valet system.  Hotels are ideal for this tiny parcel with difficult parking because parking demands are lower at hotels.   

Service Elevator does seem to be there accessed from a 6th street side door, with 3 public elevators accessed from the lobby.

https://aca3.accela.com/charlotte/urlrouting.ashx?type=1000&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&capID1=17LDU&capID2=00000&capID3=00080&Module=LandDevelopment

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CLT> said:

But keep in mind there is no 'back of house' due to CityFair and the Hearst Tower so don't expect big theatrical productions, but more films, talks, and things that don't require a deep stage.

But were there ever big theatrical productions there?  I thought this only ever served as a movie theater.

7 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

But were there ever big theatrical productions there?  I thought this only ever served as a movie theater.

Speaking that it was built way before movie theatres... 

I am pretty sure it used to have a large back of house, but was removed for the construction of Hearst Tower.

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Speaking that it was built way before movie theatres... 

I am pretty sure it used to have a large back of house, but was removed for the construction of Hearst Tower.

I thought it was built in 1927?  That's a time when movie theaters -- or what they then called "movie palaces" -- were being built in huge numbers all over the country.  So I was assuming it's primary purpose was to show movies.

1 minute ago, JacksonH said:

I thought it was built in 1927?  That's a time when movie theaters -- or what they then called "movie palaces" -- were being built in huge numbers all over the country.  So I was assuming it's primary purpose was to show movies.

You are right i got my dates mixed up. 

It wasn't just a movie theatre though. It showed actual acts, concert, etc.

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You are right i got my dates mixed up. 

It wasn't just a movie theatre though. It showed actual acts, concert, etc.

Thanks.  I was just reading the history from the Wikipedia page.  It says this:  "Originally, movies ran for three days, and vaudeville performers were on stage Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays."  You may know better than I, but for vaudeville performers they probably needed little more than enough space for dressing rooms, not necessarily the amount of room required to maintain sets and such needed for big theatrical productions.  But you said "large back of house," so I don't know.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carolina_Theatre

Just now, JacksonH said:

Thanks.  I was just reading the history from the Wikipedia page.  It says this:  "Originally, movies ran for three days, and vaudeville performers were on stage Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays."  You may know better than I, but for vaudeville performers they probably needed little more than enough space for dressing rooms, not necessarily the amount of room required to maintain sets and such needed for big theatrical productions.  But you said "large back of house," so I don't know.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carolina_Theatre

That had been my impression that there was once a back of house, but it was removed either because of a fire, or hearst, its unclear, I'll see if I can find proof to what I'm remembering.

6 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That had been my impression that there was once a back of house, but it was removed either because of a fire, or hearst, its unclear, I'll see if I can find proof to what I'm remembering.

Probably true.  This building has suffered a lot of abuse.  I have read that the lobby was demolished when Cityfair was built.  So if it lost its front side, it's possible it lost its backside, too.

Edited by JacksonH

37 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

For us dirty transplants, can anyone provide some insight on what CityFair was?

Best I found was this article from 1998 but it just left me with more questions. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/1998/07/13/story1.html

Basically the original Founder’s Hall. CityFair was a small shopping mall that was demolished for the Hearst Tower. The mall failed for many of the same reasons why FH isn’t successful - there was no street level retail and no major tenants. 

16 minutes ago, Spartan said:

@ricky_davis_fan_21 thanks! I'm trying to get my bearings. In that bottom pic, where is Tryon St?

Not on Tryon at all on College between 5th and 6th street back side of Hearst now.  

Background story on CityFlop I mean Cityfair and the Hearst tower. Keith Corp. bought it for pennies on the dollar.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/1998/07/13/story1.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

[mention=17104]ricky_davis_fan_21[/mention] thanks! I'm trying to get my bearings. In that bottom pic, where is Tryon St?

17c48129314bf11c01f55357438bc027.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m actually tearing up over here. I LOVED Cityfair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk