Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Oh believe me I know about cost overruns and cost of construction these days.  I am on the board on my condo at Hilton Head and we can barely find bidders to bid on our projects there.  

I just did not know the design had changed thats all.  

I don't know how you missed that. haha. I'd posted the darker colored version above (which is consistent with this design, just with extra drama added to the rendering), and mentioned that the design had changed a few times. I know things are tough to keep up with on this message board, things can tend to get hidden amongst complaining about value engineering, etc

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

It’s not that I dislike the new design, but I really did like the glass on the old one.  The fact that this is connected to the historic Carolina Theater just makes me feel like this tower deserved a more unique look.

exactly.  it's not like anybody is shocked they're cutting corners here.  it's just that they ditched the part of the project that EVERYBODY actually loved.  now it's just another one of those towers that they're are building all over the place at this moment.  like that fnb tower or whatever with a completely random and useless glass rectangle on the side that will look absurd in five years.   but at least this is sets up for the theater to be there for years i guess.  

• Like 2

Just now, JorgiPorgi said:

I like it. How tall is this bad boy supposed to be? It looks to be near 500 ft. 

420 feet.

20 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I'm okay with the new design (minus the signage).  As the tallest hotel in the Carolina's and Charlotte's first tall/skinny hotel, I'll take it.  The top floor restaurant will also be the tallest, accessible observation-like place for the public.  Higher than Bentley's, Fahrenheit, & Nuvole.  This is definitely the most anticipated tower I've been waiting for to rise.  From the lobby rendering, I hope this is connected to the Foundation For The Carolinas...looks like it might be. 

Foundation for the Carolina is getting 3 floors of office space out of this.

21 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The top floor restaurant will also be the tallest, accessible observation-like place for the public.  

image.png.61b3a3cfd61ee7741899219e0e8d4686.png

Now that you mention it, there appears to be an inset piece at the top.  Could this be an outdoor patio? That'd be nifty

22 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Foundation for the Carolina is getting 3 floors of office space out of this.

Is this new information? I think that's pretty great for them. Assuming it is the section just above the lobby and probably before the cantilever? 

The new design is "ok," and I think that is fine. The real gems of this project are the height, mixed-use, and restoration of the theater. 

19 minutes ago, j-man said:

So where is the parking going to be?

0, why does it need parking. Will be valet'd elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Is this new information? I think that's pretty great for them. Assuming it is the section just above the lobby and probably before the cantilever? 

The new design is "ok," and I think that is fine. The real gems of this project are the height, mixed-use, and restoration of the theater. 

I'm not 100% sure if its been reported, but its definitely not new, I've mentioned it a few times on here. :-). But yea things can get lost on this website pretty easily. Might make sense for us to start including overviews on the first post on each thread. Unfortunately this is a 12 year old thread that has no less than 4 different proposals discussed.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Question: If you're going to put glass in anyway, how is it an additional cost to order x amount of one color and x amount of a second color? Was there some sort of structural piece I'm not seeing in the old design that accented the different tones? 

I'm sure there were mullions between, there would have to be. As far as the windows go. I've personally never ordered more than one. That said I'd imagine it'd be far cheaper to order 900 of one, vs. 200 of one, 100 of one, 300 of one, 250 of one and 50 of another, and then paying a designer/architect to come of with a coherent scheme, and skilled laborers to follow basically a paint by letters to install the glass. If you are installing one type of window then you just do it, rinse and repeat, if you have to follow a guide for color options, things change, and its more laborious, and thus more expensive. I'm going to defer to @tozmervo to either shoot down my inference or confirm it.

Not to mention windows do cost different amounts depending on how its glazed. And generally you can get discounts of whatever amount based on what you are ordering.

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

0, why does it need parking. Will be valet'd elsewhere.

So the hotel and office space doesnt need any parking:dontknow:

I think if this flat design will be the final design, they might as well make it colorful! I feel they could do a gold or bronze tower at least. ugh

So the hotel and office space doesnt need any parking:dontknow:
I think if this flat design will be the final design, they might as well make it colorful! I feel they could do a gold or bronze tower at least. ugh

It’s a luxury business traveler hotel. They will Uber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It’s a luxury business traveler hotel. They will Uber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well thats good to know because for  a second there I thought there was going to be parking above ground like how FNB is. yuck

49 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Actually after some emails last night, I’m concerned this project might be on life support.

WTH, they already used the "this is the last time we can ask for more money" when they got the county/city to match some funds. What about this project that's causing so much trouble?

They already did all the engineering and the design work (it was approved after all), so it has to be actual construction related?!!